International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 02-18-2021, 12:00 AM
232 I6

Mystic Blue Persuasion.... Marching right along. Looks great Rob!

Fleet Fox
Old 02-18-2021, 09:38 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFox
Mystic Blue Persuasion.... Marching right along. Looks great Rob!

Fleet Fox

Thanks, brother, some health setbacks lately but it's getting there slowly. Can't wait to get her on the road since I've never actually driven her more than 20ft onto the trailer.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
Old 02-18-2021, 10:33 AM
232 I6

Going on 3 years now and I've only driven it up and down the driveway twice and on and off the trailer a few times. So I totally feel you.

Fleet Fox
Old 02-20-2021, 10:41 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFox
Going on 3 years now and I've only driven it up and down the driveway twice and on and off the trailer a few times. So I totally feel you.

Fleet Fox

LOL, I'm hoping to not have mine be like that!

So, I took some time away from the build to rest my weary arm. Messed it up either doing something completely non-physical or having blood drawn at the VA. Had a large bruise so just took it easy the last few days. Today I felt good so jumped into more resto work.

First was installing my new hood bumper kit from TGW since my originals had broken plastic bits:

This is all easiest with the headlights out, and since my entire front end is apart, why not do it now?

Put the black donor fender on, which was an absolute pain since I still had to deal with previous left side accident damage that had pushed in the front grill a bit, deformed the blinker housing a lot, and generally made it hard to fit the 3 fender-to-grill bolts inside the grill. The donor fender, as beat as it is, is still in WAY better shape than the trashed fender I threw out long ago. I'll figure out a better replacement someday:

Good pic of the bashed blinker housing. Damage was so old the paint had begun lifting after cracking. The donor fender had a lot of bondo on the front lower section from its own accident damage that caused a groove and a small hole thru the backside. Since bondo loves to absorb water it soaked it up from that inside hole and rusted out the base metal underneath, causing the bondo to separate and crack, so I stripped it down to see how bad it was:

Cleaned everything up and reshaped the metal so the blinker housing will fit properly now. I'll primer and half-ass paint to protect it at some point soon, but I don't plan to really restore the exterior for quite awhile. I really had to work the jack, a 2x4 block, metal hammer, and bunch of other tools to get everything to line up so I could fit the fender bolts on!

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 02-21-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:57 PM
258 I6

Salvage yard offered donor front blinker lenses and housings since all of mine were broken and cracked when I bought the beast. Took some Mother's rubbing compound and polish to brighten them up. Top one is after I polished. It actually actually looked worse than the untouched bottom one before I wore my fingers out making it look good:

Now that the seats are in I figured I'd finish the front carpet and kick panels before doing the new TGW OEM door seals:

If I win the lottery I'll get new door scuff plates, but these old ones will do for now. The new door seals make the doors difficult to close so will need to figure something out to fix that:

Trimmed the driver side carpet and tucked under the kick panels before putting the new OEM door seal and old scuff plates on. Decided to follow Ryan's advice and ran the sunroof power wire inside the seal then brought it out under the dash unseen to the fuse panel. Will have a shop terminate for me:

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 02-21-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:42 PM
258 I6

I finished the driver side scuff plate this AM then decided to tackle the dark brown donor tailgate I got over a year ago (original was bashed and had nothing but the glass in it). Donor tailgate was on a cream colored wagoneer, hence all the different colors. I'll repaint it all baltic blue eventually...

Way back in this thread I'd already prepped the nuts/bolts and lubed/checked operation on the tailgate, so all I had to do was get some bodies to help line everything up and adjust.

My son and I held the monster while my wife was inside tightening all the bolts. Hardest part was getting all the wiring back into the hole. Driver side here:

I found the easiest way to do everything was to do only the bolts that hold the tailgate and leave the rod covers off (they're temporarily on in the pic), and leave the rods hanging loose. Passenger side here:

Once the hinge bolts were on we raised the tailgate and I crawled inside to adjust the rods enough to put the covers on and tighten the bolts. Tailgate in the raised position relieves all the tension on the rods to move them around, and there's enough space to put the caps on and tighten the bolts. Passenger side here:

Driver side here:

I found it best to leave the side cones, rods, and hinge bolts loose so I could line up the tailgate from side to side so the latches worked. Once I had it lined up where I wanted it, I tightened everything from inside. Then I went back outside to align the strikers for the latches on both sides. When the tailgate stayed closed and didn't pop out I knew I had the strikers where I wanted them. I tested operation, and what do you know, it works:

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 02-22-2021 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:00 PM
258 I6

Once again had a health setback after travelling last week so took it easy till tonight when I tackled the power mirror switch controller.

I had both the original and a donor, but neither worked in any position so I took them apart and found different things wrong with both. I used the best parts from both to rebuilt the original unit, as it was in better shape.

Had to pry the rear cover off to access and remove the wiring, then get to the 3 screws underneath that hold the inner cover on. The white crap is rubber goop to possibly keep the cover on the assembly to keep the wiring on the contacts:

Inside of the inner cover once the 3 screws were removed. These contacts are attached to the wires on the other side of the cover seen above, and also hit the 4 spring-loaded center copper contacts on the rods (see 3rd pic below) when the 'joystick' is moved to provide power to the individual motors on either side. On the left you can also see the broken plastic part the joystick fits in from the donor controller, which I was supergluing back together in this pic:

Biggest problem with the main assembly was the 2 springs holding up the 2 other elongated copper contacts were rusted and broken in their holes, so I fished them out, cleaned the holes out, lubed up a couple donor springs, and put that back together so the spring tension kept the elongated contacts raised. You can see the joystick in the center of the 4-contact plastic assembly that controls the directions the mirrors move in. Usually that plastic assembly is broken so the 4 spring-loaded rods and contacts never make contact with the contacts on the inner cover in the pic above. This is my original part that was miraculously still in one piece, which is why I rebuilt this one:

This pic just shows the 3 total spring loaded contacts I used from the donor. Short one is for left and right control, and the other two longer ones control where power goes once the joystick is moved around. I'd superglued the joystick piece back together but it broke again, so gutted it and used the best parts for my original. I also removed those 4 copper center spring loaded contacts that sit on the rods the joystick is attached to, then stretched those 4 springs a bit thinking they'd likely been crushed over the years. Really it's just a matter of ensuring copper to copper contact of everything once it all goes back together.

Once I cleaned everything and put everything back together with a little dielectric grease, I reconnected the wiring, put the rear cover back on, then reconnected the harnesses, and what do you know, both mirrors now work in all 4 directions!!

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 03-05-2021 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:40 AM
350 Buick

Great work on that mirror switch !!

Hope your health continues to improve sir.

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
2001 XJ : Driver - 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
Old 03-06-2021, 09:18 PM
232 I6

Mystic Rob

Amazing job on that mirror switch, that's in my future soon. Thanks.
1989 Grand Wagoneer 360 c.i.
727 Transmission
Sniper EFI Hyperspark
Serehill Rear Glass and Fog Light Harness.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:21 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
Great work on that mirror switch !!

Hope your health continues to improve sir.
Thank you, and thank you!
Slow going the older we get I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWNashville
Amazing job on that mirror switch, that's in my future soon. Thanks.
Let me know if you have any questions, my pics don't do the complications justice.

Tackled the rear headliner today. Since this board was from a non-sunroof salvage yard donor I had to cut 2" from the front of it to account for the sunroof installer having been forced to move the black plastic rail and cross trim piece backward by that much from the factory location. Test fit and measure twice, cut once:

The trim piece bar 2" back from OEM location due to sunroof length. Sunroof and rear bracket on the right side here:

Sprayed the 3M adhesive on half the board, laid the fabric, then did the other half and cut the holes for the dome and light and switch:

I'm attempting to 3M glue the top of the front headliner to the bottom of the sunroof bracket here with large velcro strip, holding it with a 2x4 and towel at the top so as not to destroy the fabric. Hopefully an overnight stay keeps it up there. You can see the rear headliner now with fabric being test fit, as I work on what to do for the transition from the front headliner to the cross trim piece since the "factory" transition piece is long gone:

Shot of the velcro sandwiched between the top of the headliner and the bottom of the sunroof bracket:

My build thread:
Old 03-07-2021, 08:26 PM
232 I6

Rob's Baltic Blue and Tan

That is a great idea with the velcro. I'll be trying that.
1989 Grand Wagoneer 360 c.i.
727 Transmission
Sniper EFI Hyperspark
Serehill Rear Glass and Fog Light Harness.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:54 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWNashville
That is a great idea with the velcro. I'll be trying that.

Seems to have worked pretty well. The 3M spray adhesive is much stronger than the weak stuff that came on the velcro.

Ryan gave me a pic of his stock headliner extension, seen here, so I figured I'd make one out of thick cardboard:

I made this piece and used the velcro for the very rear to help keep the front headliner anchored. The duct tape makes it easier to slide that section into the tabs on the rear of the sunroof to keep the piece stable. It took quite a few test fittings to get it to a point where I think it'll work well to tie in the lower front and the taller rear boards with the cross trim piece:

Next 2 pics give a good idea of length and width in case anyone needs to do this in the future:
#1:

#2 -- not seen very well are all the cuts into (but not through) the cardboard I made to allow me to angle everything properly so the contours will look good:

This is after I fitted the piece and stuck the velcro bits together to keep the rear of the front headliner up permanently. I used the 3M spray adhesive on all the backings. Sucker aren't gonna move ever. You can see the black hanging cross piece that the cross trim piece slides thru from one side to the other. I'll finish that all soon:

Sprayed the homemade board with 3M spray adhesive while in the vehicle then gently tacked the fabric on after stretching it just a bit to take up any slack. Fit came out pretty good, and the board is as high as I can get it toward the roof to hopefully minimize any rear passenger headroom issues:

My hands are beat up so will probably finish the cross trim tomorrow with another set of hands to help guide it across the rail. It's difficult ensuring both headliners are tucked in close and sandwiched between the cross rail and trim piece. Man that is a lot of headliner and boards!:

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 03-10-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:38 AM
304 AMC

more nice work rob.

thanx for the photos.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 03-08-2021, 11:26 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
more nice work rob.

thanx for the photos.

dave in NC

I'm getting to a point where I can put those cargo floor rails you sold me like a year ago!

Forgot to add, I primed and painted that left front blinker area after sanding everything down. Most of it won't be seen but I want to ensure it doesn't rust away:

My build thread:
Old 03-09-2021, 03:25 PM
304 AMC

and we ready to see those cargo rails installed too,.....

more ready for a thumbs up pic of you while you go down the road !
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 03-13-2021, 06:44 PM
258 I6

Put on the donor blinker housing and new lens today. Think I'll just keep my eyes peeled for a better fender:

Front driver side donor blinker housing and lens installed:

My son had to help me guide the center cross trim between both headliner boards, lubed it up a bit, then sandwiched both front and rear boards:

Better pic of the donor switch (original was pretty scratched up and white letters butchered) and new dome light lens:

Started buffing/sanding off the surface rust and grime from the rear seatbelt bits and rear bench seat strikers. This is after doing the left side ring. I'm not sure on my next steps for the seat belts. I might dye them black or just buy a new set at some point since there are so many small issues with the entire set:

My build thread:
Old 03-14-2021, 09:02 PM
258 I6

Well, some good, and some bad happened this weekend.

GOOD:

Got a small front passenger door crack filled with JB Weld so I'm closer to installing the vinyl woodgrain on that side:

Also got the rear bench seat strikers cleaned and installed on the wheel wells:

New rear seat belt anchors installed. Gonna likely buy new black belts for front and rear at some point:

Best part was finally installing the cargo rails. They were a bit beat so I used a wire brush to give them a uniform brushed look:

BAD:

Started the car and discovered a coolant leak coming from inside the inspection cover bolted up to the tranny bell housing -- haven't taken the cover off yet, but research indicates 2 freeze plugs back there:

The bit of liquid on the floor. Will take the cover off soon and figure out next steps. Might just drop the tranny and fix that leaky shift shaft seal too:

My build thread:

Last edited by MysticRob : 03-14-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:38 PM
304 AMC

Carpet looks good. What's dat color? What's the cut. Sorry if you already mentioned it.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Could it also be coming from the coolant hose connection at the back of the Intake, dribbling down the back?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 03-15-2021, 12:58 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
Carpet looks good. What's dat color? What's the cut. Sorry if you already mentioned it.

It's actually black, but it certainly doesn't look it in the pics. I had a large LED light on the tailgate, plus I hadn't vacuumed it yet, so maybe that's why the color is off.

Here's the full details straight from the BJ's email I got when I ordered it:

07-8011
MASS Carpet Kit Complete 1963-1991 Wagons
Carpet Color and Code: 801 Black (Cutpile color)
Backing Material: Mass Backing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Could it also be coming from the coolant hose connection at the back of the Intake, dribbling down the back?

No, unfortunately there's nothing at the intake or heads, and the water is definitely coming from inside the inspection cover.
I replaced a corroded freeze plug on driver's side months ago, so figure my likely-late-model 360 has those 2 plugs in the back, and at least 1 is probably leaking.

My build thread: