International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-10-2022, 08:53 AM
230 Tornado

Headliner Installation Question

I am in the final steps of installing a new headliner in my 1986 Grand Wagoneer. My question regards the "center separation bar" -- I understand the goal of pressing the outside colored trim piece back into place in the black plastic piece after first reinstalling the front and back headliner sections.

However I am not clear on how best to first separate the colored trim piece from the black plastic piece.

The colored trim piece is designed to press into the black plastic piece -- but I am not sure that it is best to separate them by merely yanking the trim piece out of the black piece. Or, is it better to rather separate them by sliding the colored piece out of the black piece to keep from harming (rounding off) the "barbed section" that fits into the mating receptacle channel in the black plastic piece?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-10-2022, 09:43 AM
304 AMC

I just finished installing mine. I took it out a few years ago so can't answer your question for sure but I'm pretty sure I slid them apart.

I wouldn't risk damaging them by pulling them apart. 30 Year old brittle plastic and all. I was worried they would break when I was pushing them back together.

I moved divider forward so I could use 48" material so I had new "fir trees" to mount the inner piece. You have the inner piece out I assume or you wouldn't be able to slide them apart.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:04 PM
230 Tornado

Thanks SJTD for your response. Yes, I have the center separator unit out. The push barbs on the black part are in great shape, so I believe (hope!) they will remount without incident. I think your idea makes great sense to slide the colored trim part off the black part -- I, too, am quite concerned about messing up / breaking the very old (and probably very brittle) plastic on the trim piece.

When reuniting the trim piece to the black part, did you merely align the male and female parts and push -- or did you lightly hammer them together with a soft headed hammer?
Old 07-10-2022, 03:02 PM
232 I6

I'm pretty sure I just yanked on mine and popped them back in. Been a while.

Are those 'fur" trees buried behind the trim? If so, replacements can be bought online. If not, consider them gold!

J/K, there's gotta be a plastic paint that's close to your OEM color.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:23 PM
230 Tornado

'89_Wagon -- thanks for your reply. Yes, the "fur" trees are buried behind the trim. Luckily mine are in good shape.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:39 PM
304 AMC

I just pushed it, hammering was not required. My boards were thicker than stock and I was afraid it wasn't going to go but then, success! Once it started it kept going much easier. I hope it doesn't decide to crack now.

I painted mine knowing that paint doesn't stick to this type of plastic and it bubbled all some from working it but didn't tear anywhere so I have hope it'll stay up. If it doesn't I think repainting in place will work after priming using a paint made for plastic. I got lazy and just used the urethane top coat. Also shoulda roughed it up better with the Scotch-Brite

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:27 AM
350 Buick

It's easiest to open one of the doors and grab onto the trim piece, then yanked it out. The trim piece will slide right out of the black piece like it's a railcar.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877