International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2018, 08:48 PM
258 I6

Lately I have been working on converting my truck over to a rhino grill with quad headlights. It hasn't been easy because it is winter in Seattle, which means rain, rain, rain and more rain. Every once in a while it stops raining just long enough for me to try to actually do something on the truck.

On my last weekend it stopped raining long enough for me to run out to the you-pull-it yard to see if they had anything I thought might work. I had just made it to the back of the yard when it started pouring down rain and soaked me and my wife. Fortunately it didn't last that long and I managed to find at least some of what I was looking for. Mainly I was looking for this
That's a headlight bucket on a '66 Chrysler New Yorker

which has a removable backing plate.

At $2.50 each I should have bought all 4 but figured what I need are the 2 outboard ones which are the ones oriented the same as the factory cutouts on the truck. So then it was a simple matter of drilling 3 holes and making some standoffs to recess the backing plate and installing the bucket and it's done.

I don't have a picture of them yet but I got a good deal on some headlight bezels from a '68 Chrysler Newport which look like they will be exactly what I need to make the small headlights look factory.

There are a couple of things I've learned while doing this, mainly use the outboard headlights which are the low/high lights (H5006) because they are the ones that are oriented the way the cutouts are. I had already bought the high beam only (H5001) and could modify the buckets to take them but the H5006 bulbs aren't very expensive on Amazon. The whole purpose of this bulb stuff is just to maintain orientation of the light. It's probably not really a big deal but to me it is something that I think needs to be right to get the look I want.

My plan now is to use relays tied to the big headlights to activate the little headlights. I have been planning on wiring the little ones to only come on with the high beams but now I'm actually considering wiring it so the high and low work on the little headlight, just because.

Now one more thing I need to do is cut a slot for an older style hood latch, because when the rhino is installed it is very difficult to reach the factory hood latch.