I have been watching you guys here build your rides and there is a lot of cool stuff happening. Jeeps have always been my favorite and I have had several over the years with my very first vehicle being a 47 CJ2A. The one that has stuck with me the most is the 82 Brougham that I got in 1988. It was a great daily driver but when I got a 25ft boat I didn't have anything to haul it. So I decided to build a tow vehicle by swapping the 6 banger 5 speed from the Jeep with a 454 700R4. It was a perfect fit. I drove it till about 1999 when the body finally gave out. I yanked the engine out and used it in a hot fod for a while and then the search began for a replacement GW. After several years of on and off looking and even driving all over to look, at some so called "great shape" Waggy's, only to find some pile of rust, I finally located a near rust free 89 GW 5 miles from my house from somebody I knew no less. Go figure.
Things that were done to the 82 many moons ago included, 700R4/241C, 411's with posi front and rear. I had a Ford 9" rear end cut and narrowed for it because going from the 2.78 gears to the 411's would have cost me the same as the narrowed 9" and I wasn't to sure about putting that much torque through the Jeep axle.
So basically I had all this stuff just sitting around just waiting for the new body to show up. I currently have the 89 "drive able" with the 454 but have a ton of stuff to do yet.
Here is the 82 before the parts yanking began.
And the 89 as it got home.
First thing was to tear down the 2 and get everything spiffyed up.
Test fit engine and make the new motor mounts
With all the prefab work done I spent the next couple months tearing down, cleaning and painting all the parts and resealing everything.
Added disc brakes to the rear for better stopping and the old drum brakes were toast.
Pretty much had to build everything I wanted. Made new trans lines with trans temp gauge location, radiator brackets, A/C bracket, throttle bracket and pretty much everything else.
Here it sits at this point in time but I have a lot to do still. Interior, some wiring, and many other GW fixes like the Tailgate, door locks. It was a lot of work to get it to this point but having the 82 first helped some. I will keep up the progress on here when I can. If anyone has any questions on what it took to get it here, feel free to ask. Kind of playing catch up with the build thread.
I just noticed somebody left a beer under my hood.