International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Events > Events

Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 PM
360 AMC

AZFSJC April 2007 Trail Ride -- Box Canyon / Martinez Cabin

Date: April 14, 2007

Time: Meeting at 8:15am, Leaving at 8:30am

Meeting Place: Chevron station on the west side of hwy79 just across
from Big O Tires on the north end of Florence.

Trail Rating: 3.0

We'll be running the Box Canyon trail from the Price road entrance. Along the way we'll take the side trip to Martinez Cabin, then get back on the BC trail. We'll finish up on the Mineral Mountain Rd out to Highway 60.

Although taller than stock tires are recommended on a Wagoneer for this trail, it can be done bone stock. In dry weather 4-low, good spotting and a lot of patience can get you by. There really isn't anything scary on this trail. It's extremely scenic!

Bring your family, lunch, lotsa' water and plan to spend the day with fellow full size Jeep enthusiasts. Oh and don't forget your camera! The desert will likely be in bloom.

Trip Roster:

gwinn----------------------------can't wait
will e-----------------------------Excellent. Count me in (camping)
amc79j10-------------------------Put me in coach
tadsal----------------------------I'll have to see what happens in NM the weekend before
duracell/nakidwoody4me----------As long as nothing catastrophic happens in our life we will be there (camping)
Ralph Rogers---------------------Change me from a maybe to a yes (camping)
78 Arizona Chief------------------Count my wife Kristen and I in (camping)
jsinajeep-------------------------Well, you can count on me being there[ taxes paid or not]
AZ Frank-------------------------Stopped by Frankie's Saturday. He's going to ride along with me and Emily (camping)
Tigger4X-------------------------Come hell or high water I wanna go Camping sounds good too!!
Lil'Bro----------------------------JJ, Jeni, and I (& Virgil) will be there
STILRUNZ------------------------and Dinky so far - Camping
Locked and Loaded---------------Looks like the wife amd I are in for the day trip

Last edited by gwinn : 04-09-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Always Broke

Excellent. Count me in.

The very last part of the trail to Martinez Cabin has gotten pretty ruff. I wouldn't try it in a stock rig but I did manage to do it with a 4" lift and 31" tires (to the amazement of the baby jeeps that were following me).

Don't let this stop anyone from coming. There is a good safe spot to park your rig and you can either hitch a ride for the last few hundred yards or take a nice walk to the cabin.
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 PM

Is this an overnight/camping trip?

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 PM
360 AMC

DAY TRIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadsal
Is this an overnight/camping trip?

Nope, this is a day trip. Barring serious breakdown, we can run the trail, enjoy the scenery and take a few breaks along the way and still be to Hwy 60 by 4pm. Knock on wood!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 PM

Put me in coach, Think Flying lady will be ready then. If not then I will be riding in a baby jeep. Spot in my freind Jeff with the baby jeep also.

Mike A and Flying (er grounded) Lady

Its a Full Size Thing you wouldn't understand.
79 j-10: 360 th400 dana 44 w/lockrights rear. 4.27 gears, Rino grill 6" KC's in 5 3/4 buckets, custome rings for both 7 and 5 3/4 lights, custom front bumper with warn classic winch, 1" extended shackles front, 6" lift kit, 35 12.5 15 tires, edlebrock intank and 4bl carb.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinn
... and still be to Hwy 60 by 4pm. Knock on wood!
Ok good.
I'll have to see what happens in NM the weekend before, that will be a 3 day trip for me, so...

Can you get me a map point where we come out on HWY 60 so I can estimate drive time back?

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Gear Head

will have to run it by my wife but she may be interested, but we're stock and most likely will need need some gentle nudging
Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
FSJ Maniac

Unfortunately Saturdays are soccer game days for my girls. I'll have to pass on this one.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Master Mechanic

Tentative.
Sometime in April I'm going to the happiest place on earth. I'll check the dates.

Ditto on the last part of Martinez, in the creek just after the big trees. It is rough. Stock probably won't make it without damage. Good news is you can easily get to the wind caves after the cabins, and up to the old mill isn't that bad either. Lots of water through there last year.

Don't forget the permits if you go out to 60. Unless we are all related, then we can go on one.

Ralph
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Gear Head

Count my wife Kristen and I in. My brother and my cousin David will be making the trip out here too to try out his newly 4.10-1 geared true-trac'ed J-10.

For anyone that is interested, we will be camping somewhere out there. My friend Chad will be with us too. Since Nick and David are coming out from Cali, we want to make it an overnight trip, not just a day trip. Anyone that wants to stay and camp overnight is more than welcome. The more the better.

See you next month.
Kevin.
\'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Gear Head

ooohhh, i don't know if i want brenda to see this we might end up staying the night.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadsal
Can you get me a map point where we come out on HWY 60 so I can estimate drive time back?

It is about 5 miles east of the intersection of Hwy 79 and Hwy 60.

Last edited by gwinn : 03-07-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 PM
350 Buick

Maybe... It sounds like fun. I really should rebuild my transmission and transfer case soon though. Also, we've been talking about taking a sportbike ride up to Prescott around that time... Then again we have been meaning to get out and do more camping.
15x10 black steel wagon wheels & 33x12.5 Kumho Venture MTs
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Always Broke

Kevin, I would love to camp. I can be the official 'what time is it' guy. We can listen to some AC/DC, maybe some U2 too. So count me in. Maybe we can camp at the cave by the Cabin or head down near the coke ovens.
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 03-07-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
It is about 5 miles east of the intersection of Hwy 79 and Hwy 60.
Cool, I will work on not breaking anything in NM.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:

Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracell
ooohhh, i don't know if i want brenda to see this we might end up staying the night.

Looks like somebody is staying the night!!!! Hubby will be too unless he catches a ride back in with somebody else. Besides did somebody say we'll be listening to AC/DC and U2? Sounds like fun for me. If I break us and find a way to get some 31" tires on "JJ" will he make it all the way up to the cabin mentioned? I definitely would like to say that "I" will be there one way or another possibly "we". I have to talk to somebody about some of his comments.

As long as nothing catastrophic happens in our life we will be there. With our family anything is possible. Need to find homes for those puppies before then. Anybody out there looking for some puppies to accessorize there rigs?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:32 AM
FSJ Maniac

You guys are killing me. I am deffinatly getting the bug to off road and you folks are not helping it one bit. Keep an ol' broken down fella in mind while having all the fun.

My best wishes for a fun and safe trail ride.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Master Mechanic

Change me from a maybe to a yes. I will be there. Have to wait and see on the overnight.
You could just camp at the cabins. Although there is very little firewood there.

Ralph
Old 03-08-2007, 11:54 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakidwoody4me
If I break us and find a way to get some 31" tires on "JJ" will he make it all the way up to the cabin mentioned?

Boulders are unforgiving and much stonger than fluid pans and rocker panels. I personally would need 31's for that trail. unfortunately, I don't have the patience to do the 1" at a time stuff like Will E did a few years back. With a little height you don't have to pay quite as close attention to tire/differential placement and the line.

As far as the answer to your question goes. I don't know. I haven't been on that part of the trail since the big washout.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Always Broke

Quote:
Boulders are unforgiving and much stonger than fluid pans and rocker panels. I personally would need 31's for that trail. unfortunately, I don't have the patience to do the 1" at a time stuff like Will E did a few years back. With a little height you don't have to pay quite as close attention to tire/differential placement and the line.

As far as the answer to your question goes. I don't know. I haven't been on that part of the trail since the big washout.

The last 1/8 mile to the cabin there is a pretty bad area from the little stream/pine area to the cave. I did it on 31" tires and smacked the heck out of my front rocker area on the way in. I had no spotter, I was leading the group and there were a bunch of baby jeeps behind us who I didn't know. Basically... I hurried and caused myself some damage.

That being said, if you are worried about body damage then parking at the pines and walking the last 1/8 of a mile is the way to go. Especially if your experience is limited.