International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
EL Grande Honcho EL Grande Honcho is offline
Grease Monkey
 
Join Date: Jun 01, 2006
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 427
Help with fuel system setup

Okay, I'm a little confused on the setup for my 1980 J10. I took all kinds of pictures during the build, but forgot to snap a photo of the fuel system setup

I have an Edelbrock 1406 carb. and I'm using a mechanical fuel pump. I also have the fuel filter with the 3 nipples (one is a vent, etc).

Does anyone has a schematic on how to hook up all the hoses? Or could quickly walk me through? Do I need an inline fuel pressure regulator?

Does the vent line on the fuel filter go to the charcoal cannister to collect the vapor?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Serious Johnson's Avatar
Serious Johnson Serious Johnson is offline
AMC 4 OH! 1
 
Join Date: May 19, 2002
Location: Pumpkintown, South Carolina
Posts: 3,831
You should have three hoses coming from the fuel tank. The smallest is the vapor vent, and goes to the charcoal cannister (possibly picking up the transfer case vent on the way -- I forget). The middle-size hose (1/4"?) is the fuel return, and this goes to the top fitting on the fuel filter. The largest hose is, of course, the fuel supply line. No, you won't need a fuel pressure regulator with a stock-type mechanical pump.
__________________
"Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM
EL Grande Honcho EL Grande Honcho is offline
Grease Monkey
 
Join Date: Jun 01, 2006
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Johnson
You should have three hoses coming from the fuel tank. The smallest is the vapor vent, and goes to the charcoal cannister (possibly picking up the transfer case vent on the way -- I forget). The middle-size hose (1/4"?) is the fuel return, and this goes to the top fitting on the fuel filter. The largest hose is, of course, the fuel supply line. No, you won't need a fuel pressure regulator with a stock-type mechanical pump.

Got it! Thanks! The top fitting on the fuel filter is what was confusing me since I've heard people refer to it as a "vent".

Good practice to put a cheap in-line filter between fuel supply line and fuel pump as well?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Chevelleguy's Avatar
Chevelleguy Chevelleguy is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 20, 2003
Location: Hughes Springs, TX
Posts: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Grande Honcho
Good practice to put a cheap in-line filter between fuel supply line and fuel pump as well?

Yes, and if you get one of the clear plastic ones, mounted just before the pump, you will be able to see the fuel boiling if you ever run into vapor lock issues. This will also help you determine if that is actually happening to you.
__________________
David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 PM
joe joe is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 28, 2000
Location: PNWet, USA
Posts: 22,391
Honcho,
that 3rd nipple at 12 o'clock on the filter is a "return" line not a vent.
I don't have the routing for an 80 up truck but the layout routing principle is the same for a truck as a wag. If you find no joy on line PM me your email and I'll send ya the factory diagram for a wags fuel filter routing.
Oh an no you shouldn't need a fuel regulator to run a 1405/1406 carb with a mech pump.
__________________
joe
"Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:24 PM
EL Grande Honcho EL Grande Honcho is offline
Grease Monkey
 
Join Date: Jun 01, 2006
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Honcho,
that 3rd nipple at 12 o'clock on the filter is a "return" line not a vent.
I don't have the routing for an 80 up truck but the layout routing principle is the same for a truck as a wag. If you find no joy on line PM me your email and I'll send ya the factory diagram for a wags fuel filter routing.
Oh an no you shouldn't need a fuel regulator to run a 1405/1406 carb with a mech pump.

Will do, thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help with fuel system bigbird General FSJ Tech 7 06-08-2011 07:34 PM
Electric Fuel Pump Installation w/ relay leostevo General FSJ Tech 0 03-21-2011 06:07 PM
Fuel system plumbing wickedwagon767 General FSJ Tech 18 06-07-2008 07:33 PM
Electric Fuel Pump BigAWagoneer General FSJ Tech 3 03-05-2005 11:12 AM
Discovery - cat doesn't taste like chicken 3jeepsdeep General FSJ Tech 13 10-19-2004 01:52 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
corner corner