International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Grease Monkey

Help with fuel system setup

Okay, I'm a little confused on the setup for my 1980 J10. I took all kinds of pictures during the build, but forgot to snap a photo of the fuel system setup

I have an Edelbrock 1406 carb. and I'm using a mechanical fuel pump. I also have the fuel filter with the 3 nipples (one is a vent, etc).

Does anyone has a schematic on how to hook up all the hoses? Or could quickly walk me through? Do I need an inline fuel pressure regulator?

Does the vent line on the fuel filter go to the charcoal cannister to collect the vapor?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

You should have three hoses coming from the fuel tank. The smallest is the vapor vent, and goes to the charcoal cannister (possibly picking up the transfer case vent on the way -- I forget). The middle-size hose (1/4"?) is the fuel return, and this goes to the top fitting on the fuel filter. The largest hose is, of course, the fuel supply line. No, you won't need a fuel pressure regulator with a stock-type mechanical pump.

'83 Wagoneer
360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Johnson
You should have three hoses coming from the fuel tank. The smallest is the vapor vent, and goes to the charcoal cannister (possibly picking up the transfer case vent on the way -- I forget). The middle-size hose (1/4"?) is the fuel return, and this goes to the top fitting on the fuel filter. The largest hose is, of course, the fuel supply line. No, you won't need a fuel pressure regulator with a stock-type mechanical pump.

Got it! Thanks! The top fitting on the fuel filter is what was confusing me since I've heard people refer to it as a "vent".

Good practice to put a cheap in-line filter between fuel supply line and fuel pump as well?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Grande Honcho
Good practice to put a cheap in-line filter between fuel supply line and fuel pump as well?

Yes, and if you get one of the clear plastic ones, mounted just before the pump, you will be able to see the fuel boiling if you ever run into vapor lock issues. This will also help you determine if that is actually happening to you.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 PM

Honcho,
that 3rd nipple at 12 o'clock on the filter is a "return" line not a vent.
I don't have the routing for an 80 up truck but the layout routing principle is the same for a truck as a wag. If you find no joy on line PM me your email and I'll send ya the factory diagram for a wags fuel filter routing.
Oh an no you shouldn't need a fuel regulator to run a 1405/1406 carb with a mech pump.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Honcho,
that 3rd nipple at 12 o'clock on the filter is a "return" line not a vent.
I don't have the routing for an 80 up truck but the layout routing principle is the same for a truck as a wag. If you find no joy on line PM me your email and I'll send ya the factory diagram for a wags fuel filter routing.
Oh an no you shouldn't need a fuel regulator to run a 1405/1406 carb with a mech pump.

Will do, thanks!