International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 01-22-2017, 02:25 PM
350 Buick

You can get a gasket without the groove for the trim.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 PM
350 Buick

For the windshield? Where?
Old 01-23-2017, 12:33 AM
350 Buick

Rock Auto.

They have two. One says with trim groove. The other does not. Different P/N's.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that but I hope not.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:56 AM
327 Rambler

Great build thread. Appreciate the pictures. Lots of things in common with my J2500 build especially the (motor for example) 3 steps forward and 2 back progress . I love BJs and because my son lives close to him it gives me excuses to visit his business---often! Another source for me for those hard to find pieces has been Woodys 4x4 in Vancouver, WA.
Keep up the great work.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:30 PM

About that e-drive switch

Copied and pasted from:
http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...rsion-kit.html

Not sure how accurate, I like my QT unmolested...

-Everything you said about the QT without a conversion kit is correct. With the conversion kit, you have two choices: 2wd with power to the rear wheels only [switch position to the left] or 4wd with equal power to both front and rear (no differentiation)[switch position to the right or e-drive].
-With the switch to the left only the rear driveshaft turns, the front driveshaft does not turn. If you don't switch to lockout hubs then the front axles will turn all the time but will not be powered since the front driveshaft is not turning.
-Turning the switch to the right engages true 4wd just like the lever does on gear base t-cases.
If you do the conversion, then you don't need special fluid anymore (I use ATF in my converted QT). However, if you don't do the conversion, then you have to use special fluid but you don't have to buy if from the dealer (Crown Automotive makes a replacement fluid that is much cheaper).
-One of the best sources for QT info is ifsja.org and I highly recommend it but beware: you have a cj and it is a FSJ board so respect their knowledge and try not to flaunt your shortwheel base status.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:00 PM
350 Buick

Maybe it's just me but I can't find either one on their website. If they have both, that's great.

Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
Rock Auto.

They have two. One says with trim groove. The other does not. Different P/N's.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that but I hope not.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:03 PM
350 Buick

Thanks Frank. I've been following your build as well. The more info the better! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
Great build thread. Appreciate the pictures. Lots of things in common with my J2500 build especially the (motor for example) 3 steps forward and 2 back progress . I love BJs and because my son lives close to him it gives me excuses to visit his business---often! Another source for me for those hard to find pieces has been Woodys 4x4 in Vancouver, WA.
Keep up the great work.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:12 PM
350 Buick

Thanks for the info robjammin. Being that I ripped the Jeep apart, I don't know (but I will) which direction to rotate the switch. After talking to cu4whln today, I get how the tcase works even with the MM OD kit. I appreciate your info!

Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjammin
Copied and pasted from:
http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...rsion-kit.html

Not sure how accurate, I like my QT unmolested...

-Everything you said about the QT without a conversion kit is correct. With the conversion kit, you have two choices: 2wd with power to the rear wheels only [switch position to the left] or 4wd with equal power to both front and rear (no differentiation)[switch position to the right or e-drive].
-With the switch to the left only the rear driveshaft turns, the front driveshaft does not turn. If you don't switch to lockout hubs then the front axles will turn all the time but will not be powered since the front driveshaft is not turning.
-Turning the switch to the right engages true 4wd just like the lever does on gear base t-cases.
If you do the conversion, then you don't need special fluid anymore (I use ATF in my converted QT). However, if you don't do the conversion, then you have to use special fluid but you don't have to buy if from the dealer (Crown Automotive makes a replacement fluid that is much cheaper).
-One of the best sources for QT info is ifsja.org and I highly recommend it but beware: you have a cj and it is a FSJ board so respect their knowledge and try not to flaunt your shortwheel base status.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:10 AM
350 Buick

Select Jeep, Year, Model, Motor, Body, Windshield Molding/Seal

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...ing+/+seal,766

Interesting that if you select Cherokee they only show the seal with the groove. Looks like it's the same P/N regardless of year.

Last edited by SJTD : 01-24-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:34 AM
350 Buick

Quite interesting. I'm going to look into the D4073 to make sure it does not take the factory chrome. Thanks for the info SJTD!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:43 AM
350 Buick

Let us know what you find out. I've been thinking of ordering one but I don't need it yet and I'd just have to store it.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:48 PM
350 Buick

I emailed the mfr today and got their automotive catalog. Haven't had time to look at it though.

Today presented a new problem. Maybe someone here can shed some light.

.My gas pedal assembly had a bracket that held the TH400 kick down switch but the switch was way far away from being activated by the pedal. This switch mounted with a simple round hole. The pedal assy wouldn't come close to activating the switch. So...off the the junk yard and got another pedal and switch assy. I believe this "new" setup is factory as I see it in a couple of other Jeeps there. Buy it, install it and the same problem. When I hit the pedal to wide open throttle, we're not even close to activating the switch.

Ugh. Ok to recap, I have the Edelbrock carb and it travels 1.5" to wide open throttle. The part of the pedal that accepts the cable also moves 1.5". It needs to move about 4.5" to activate the switch.

My guess is either the wrong geometry on the carb linkage or the throttle cable is the wrong length. Oh! Besides that, when pushing the pedal to the "floor", in never comes close to the floor. Something bad is going to happen I think. Either bend the gas pedal linkage or bend the carb linkage as one pushes too hard on the pedal. There's nothing to stop you from pushing too hard.

Any thoughts here?
Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 AM

There could be a throttle stop at the carb end. If there is no provision for a floor mounted one, it could be either cable or linkage based.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:30 AM
350 Buick

The only throttle stop I have right now is the butterflys opening straight up and stopping.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM
350 Buick

So, in talking to Fairchild Industries about their weatherstrip options, turns out D4073 and D4048 are one in the same and they'll be removing one part number from their system. They both take the chrome trim.

I inquired about the side glass weatherstrip as well and even though they don't make them, they're interested in possibly making the parts we need. I need samples to send to them. I know the Cherokee uses a couple different weatherstrips (solid glass vs. pop out) so....anyone have samples they can let go of? I'll be happy to send the samples to them.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Cherokee Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
I inquired about the side glass weatherstrip as well and even though they don't make them, they're interested in possibly making the parts we need. I need samples to send to them. I know the Cherokee uses a couple different weatherstrips (solid glass vs. pop out) so....anyone have samples they can let go of? I'll be happy to send the samples to them.
I have a set of good pop out window gaskets but I would need them back as they're my onlyspares. Unless I'd be able to test one of the new reproductions for free ;-)
TH400 - Shift Kit, Deep Pan, Aux Cooler
D20 - Twin Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R D44 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed
Old 01-26-2017, 11:02 AM
350 Buick

Well, I haven't asked specifically but I'm going to assume they need to cut the gasket up to get end view and dimensions. I wouldn't expect to see your samples back. Lol.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:18 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby
So, in talking to Fairchild Industries about their weatherstrip options, turns out D4073 and D4048 are one in the same and they'll be removing one part number from their system. They both take the chrome trim.

I was afraid of that. The photo has the lip for the trim but I hoped it was just a screw up. I don't suppose they are interested in reproducing it without provision for the trim?

I guess I should order the 4073 now since it's cheaper. On the other hand once they drop it from the Catalog Rock Auto might drop the price to clear them out.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:41 PM
350 Buick

I can ask about the windshield gasket but with the way the gasket is installed with the rope pushing inside that groove, I don't know if they can. I'll ask though.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:41 PM
350 Buick

New tires and wheels. I might need a tad more lift. Too bad the front wheels hit the steering. I thought they would fit but they don't. 4.5" BS on a 15x8 wheel in case anyone is wondering. I'm having a local company custom make a wheel spacer for the front only. Should have those in an hour or so.

Last edited by bkilby : 01-26-2017 at 05:48 PM.