• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harrinad
    232 I6
    • Jan 22, 2019

1980 J10 4.2 Radiator

I realized something was wrong when my Jeep was leaking more coolant than oil so I will be replacing my radiator. I am keeping everything more or less stock so I dont need anything fancy. That said, I cant seem to find any radiators anywhere that arent stupid expensive. Has anybody found a good option?
  • Cliff
    350 Buick
    • Mar 30, 2002

There is still a radiator shop here that does re-cores and repairs, and I live in a small town. I have never bought a new radiator, ever.

I realize yours can be too far gone, but might be worth looking into repair first.
    Cliff Danley
    1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

The 258 radiator is a different size from the V8 radiators, and may be hard to find. The core support only fits the six cylinder size radiator.

When I repaired the radiator in my J10, I took it to an actual radiator shop and they replaced the core. There is a company in Maine that makes the cores, and the box with the core was labeled "Utility Truck" so the six cylinder J-trucks appear to have the same size radiator as the Willys Utility Trucks.

This was maybe a decade ago, and it was ca $300 IIRC. I'm sure it will be quite a bit more now. Most "radiator shops" do not actually work on radiators today, only R&R commodity radiators. You will need to search for a shop. Ask your local car clubs if you can't find a shop in your area.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Couple years ago my nephew poked a hole in his when we were rebuilding the engine.
        He ordered one from Autozone it was brass/copper and ~$230.

He said it was the only parts store that could get one.
        Small town all they have is AZ/Napa/oreillys.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
        X