International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-16-2002, 03:02 PM
Grease Monkey

I'm planning on removing my lockers tomorrow as they are not working ( can't get them to go into a locked position). This is my first experience with manual locking hubs and i just want some assurance that this will be a straitforward gig. I checked my chilton and it does not cover anything about this. By the way, does anyone know the part # for new warn hubs? My local N.A.P.A. does not carry them but they must exist since i have them on my wag.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:23 PM
Sloppy Shifter

Your manual hubs may have some moisture in them and are froze up. You might get away with warming them up. I would pull them apart and clean them up. There should be NO GREASE on the locking hub components. If your Local Napa does not have a listing for locking hubs for your Wagoneer I would have to ask what year is it? Do they belong on it? Someone may have put locking hubs on and they may not be a good thing to have. The only T-Case that should have locking hubs that would be in a Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer would be the NP208 or the Dana 20 if you do not have one of these two Transfercases or a converted to part time Quadra Trac manual hubs do not belong on your rig. Napa has them for the rigs that used manual hubs.

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Crazy_Jeepman ]</p>
Old 03-16-2002, 03:34 PM

You can get the p/n's from Warns site www.warn.com
If the twister on the hubs is brass they're the Premium hubs, if it's plastic they're the Warn Standards.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:51 PM
Grease Monkey

sorry, I forgot to add any info about my truck!?! It's a 1982 wag, and I believe it's all stock. unfortunately, the day i got it(2 days ago), mother nature dumped a foot of snow on the twin cities and the melted it the next day so the ground is quite wet and i don't have a garage. As far as napa goes, I checked their catalog and next to the listing for fullsize jeeps their is no warn number, in any style. I'm gonna check their web site next. thanks for the insight.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:53 AM

I have the same type of hubs on my 82, and had the same problem when I bought it. The PO didn't use the four wheel drive, and then let it set for along time before I bought it. Manual hubs need to be locked in every now and then to keep the mechanism working freely.
I'd pull them apart and clean them before going out and buying new ones. Once you get the allen screws out if the hub is stuck you can use a rubber mallet and hit it at an angle (out) as you spin the wheel. Once it's off you'll probably find old, nasty stuff that used to be grease,and the cause of your hubs not working.
Anyway, that's what worked for mine.
Good luck.
Old 03-17-2002, 02:05 AM

XJ, once you you get'em cleaned up and lubed,lock them in about once a month or so and drive 5-10 miles to keep them lubed.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:09 AM
Gear Head

Thumbs up

I like to use Valvoline Durablend Grease. It's rated - 25 deg. f. to + 400 deg. f. .

IMHO it's better than EP1 rated grease in cold weather.

For light lubrication I also like to use camshaft or assembly lube.

Whatever grease you use on your hubs use it sparingly.
<b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg
Old 03-17-2002, 11:15 AM
Sloppy Shifter

If you ever send in a WARN hub for replacement due to failure, and they spot a speck of grease on the HUB assembly.............You are S.O.L. It is stated in the warrenty and directions as well. Besides why would they need grease? No moveing parts, until you turn them in.......Well unless you have very fast hands and need to reduce the friction due to the speed you turn them the half turn.

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: Crazy_Jeepman ]</p>
Old 03-17-2002, 08:00 PM

if i was you and you are going to pull your front end apart to cheak yuor hubs if it dirty and there is moisture in there i would tear them right down to the axle and make sure the needle bearings are greased good . i didn't check mine last fall after 4x4 season and was cruiseing up the highway and spun a wheel bearing. i am now going to do this spring and fall
yaya looks nice,but does she GO!?<br /><br />1981 cherokee lerado 360/727/208/d44/amc20 Wt<br />posi fnt & bck<br />.030\" overbore <br />crank shaved .010\" and line bored<br />balanced blueprinted<br />crane cam ,lifters<br />edelbrock preformer intake<br />edelbrock 650cfm four barrel carb<br />Tfi upgrade<br />3\" dynomax ultra flo exaust<br />custom lift springs <br />31\" bfg at\'s<br />CBR929 firblade<br />68 roadrunner 383 12.2 1/4 mile<br />original #\'s car
Old 03-18-2002, 01:02 AM

Talking

i got my warn premiums at advance auto. they are a standard internal mount 1/2 ton lockout. if a place does not list for a2 wagoneer,you can look up for a 75 chevy 1/2 ton,or even an 85 chevy 1/2 ton pickup. prolly even a 79 1.2 ton f*rd [img]smile.gif[/img] for a very long time i used factory spicer lockouts froma late 70s 10 bolt frontend. only reason i put the warn on(only gotten around to the one side [img]redface.gif[/img] ) is cause the way the spicer lockouts work,the gears get bound up and i cant unlock one without driving backwards several feet. with the warn i just turn it.

like crazy said,all the moving parts are inside the hub assembly,no real need for lube outside where the splines contact the hub and lockout.

the guys are prolly right,tho.yours likely just need cleaned. if you lock them in 2wd and spin youe front shaft by hand,youll be able to see the u jooints in the front end spinning on whichevr side/side arent locking

good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: scotty ]</p>
38" TSL SXs
chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\