International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 04-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Gear Head

rear end/transfercase rebuild

So a trust worthy mechanic friend of mine from church did my breaks a few weeks ago. They were squealing a little so he took the Jeep home with him after church on Sunday. He called yesterday and said the breaks are fine but that I had other issues.

Said there is a whine coming from the rear that should not be there (I notice it now, I have a loud exhaust). He suggested a complete rebuild because he doesn't like going in and only changing one part (can't blame him). That would include axle seals as well. He did say that he pulled the plug and the oil had metallic in it.

He also said while it was on the lift and running that the transfer case was making a lot of chatter and would probably need work as well.

This is a very trustworthy man and I take his advice as legit. Says it will cost anywhere from $800 to maybe even close to $2000 depending if gears need changing and the transfer case is bad. Bummer....
Old 04-29-2014, 05:39 PM

Sorry to hear that but yeah if your rearend has a whine or howel going down the road under load and you let off the gas(remove the load) and it quiets down the ring gear is shot. In which case you'll need a new ring and pinion gear "set" and install kit. Nope not cheap. I'm not up on current prices but a new R&P set for quality US stuff is prolly $300 and the install kit $200 or so. Labor varies with shop and experience but figure a few hundred for labor. Only way I know to save some money is cut down on labor time. It's "A LOT "easier in turn cheaper to do a R&P swap with the axle removed from the car sitting on a bench rather than working on your back under it. With the axle removed you'll likely save 1/2 the labor costs. It's not mind bending difficult but It is a time consuming exact science that requires patience and attention to detail. If the axle is pulled and on a bench this would be an excellent opportunity for you to learn. You likely won't save any money having him walk you through it but on you're first set up having someone experienced looking over your shoulder guiding you is invaluable. Shops generally won't put up with teaching a customer but a private friend might. If avail seize the opportunity, they're rare. You'll at least learn if on the next one if buying the tools and doing it yourself is worth it to you or just pay someone else. Doing a correct R&P set up is crazy satisfying but if you botch it, a crazy expense humbling disappointment. In any case when done break the new gears in first before doing any towing or other abuse. About a 100 miles of easy normal street driving will do it.
Good luck.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Gear Head

Any suggestions on what I should get to rebuild the entire thing?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 PM

For the differential you'll need a new ring and pinion set and an install kit. I prefer using Randy's Ring and Pinion for a vendor. Not the cheapest game in town but quality stuff but your mech prolly has other sources. Point being:This is an area of a vehicle you don't want to risk using cheap China parts. This ain't something you wanna do-over next week. Use quality parts and do it right the first time or just run it as is till it grenades then buy a used complete axle.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:01 PM
232 I6

I got both my axles rebuilt locally last summer. All new bearings and seals. To save a little I opted for some used dana gears. I changed gears from 2.72 to 3.73 with a rebuilt power loc in the rear. total cost was 1200.

I also bought a rebuilt transfer case. It was 795 with 100 dollars shipping. that included the return shipping of the core. I am very happy with the company I chose. http://www.transfercases.com/order.htm

Last edited by bigwoody : 04-29-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Always Broke

Howdy! What year truck do you have? Do you know which transfer case you have as well?

If you are going to get the rear end rebuilt, depending on what your plans for the rig are, you might consider a locker.

Are you on a budget? Does 2000 hit you hard? It might be worth it to get a used TC and Axle. You can probably pick them up for $400 total (depending on what you are running now).
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Gear Head

It is an 87 with a 229 transfer case. If I bought used I guess I would be scare of not knowing what I was getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will e
Howdy! What year truck do you have? Do you know which transfer case you have as well?

If you are going to get the rear end rebuilt, depending on what your plans for the rig are, you might consider a locker.

Are you on a budget? Does 2000 hit you hard? It might be worth it to get a used TC and Axle. You can probably pick them up for $400 total (depending on what you are running now).
Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 AM
Grease Monkey

Call around to see if there are any differential shops in your area.
Now would be the time to consider a locker or limited slip.