International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-03-2002, 06:57 AM
327 Rambler

I need a new muffler, and want a little more rumble than stock, but the average turbo might be too loud. I used to have a "Walker Hemi Turbo" on my 89, and it was perfect. However, it was $90, and special order. I don't want to do that again. If there are any turbo muffler users, please let me know how the noise is at highway speeds.

Flowmasters - NOT!

Old 05-03-2002, 09:42 AM

I know you said NO to the Flowmasters... BUT..

My family hauler is a 93 3/4 ton 4x4 Burb. I put a 3-chamber Deltaflow SUV 3" Flowmaster on it and I have no VERY little interior resonance and a low rumble... and really doesn't get any louder with rpms... just a thought...

I wouldn't go with a 2-chamber on my Burb but I am on my FSJ
Old 05-03-2002, 09:46 AM
JB Welder

I jsut had a 3" exhaust put on and the stuck the stock muffler designed for a 454 on there. It gives it a good tone, but does NOT rumble. When the windows are up I can talk without raiing my voice ont he freeway.
Plus I didn't have to pay for a custom muff
Old 05-03-2002, 09:58 AM
Master Mechanic

Cool

I installed a Thrush Turbo for about 18 bucks. Nothing fancy, low rumble at idle if your near the pipe, quiet at highway speed. The fan noise is louder than the exhaust under acceleration. I don't like to spend a lot of money on things that are going to rust in a year or two.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:01 AM
FSJ Maniac

Cool

I use the "Thrush Turbo II" muffler from Auto Zone for under 30 bucks and really like it. It has a very low rumble and doesn't sound off unless you really romp on it hard. I have yet to hear that sound....

Happy hunting.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Grease Monkey

noise!? Let me try to explan the noises between the two mufflers with the same price range "$90". First, I got the Flowmaster 40-series muffler on my FSJ for about a year and realy like it in the first couple of months, but after that it seems to get louder and louder everyday " may be I'm getting older..only 44 ?" To me this muffler is the noisiest, the rumbliest, and the loudest sound at any speed, so I decided to dump it.
Now, I got a straight through design muffler made by Magnaflow, it just like an open pipe exhaust systems... "well almost", but only get half of the noise when comparing to the 40-series "400dB" muffler. After more than six months and still love any minute of the sound of this muffler, especilly when the truck take off. It does still making noise, but the noise that I want to listen to, so it needs a noise to make that rumbled sound.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:56 AM
Grease Monkey

I got a Edelbrock RPM series muffler for the Cherokee. I like it. Not too loud, but can be heard under acceleration.
Price is around 85 to 90 dollars, but the neat thing is that it is made out of stainless steel!! Matches the rest of my system!! Plus, it is a fairly small muffler that fits nicely between the frame and the driveshaft.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:00 PM

I've put a 12 inch glasspack on every project car I owned. I wouldn't go with anything else, except maybe straight unmuffled pipes on a certain 86 camaro project. Don't tell the cops!
Old 05-03-2002, 03:02 PM
Grease Monkey

I agree with R.B. my single 2.5" 3chamber Flowmasters are very mellow with relatively low inside noise. Seems like my old tired 360 runs much smoother and has a little more pep.
John <br />78\' Cherokee Chief \"S\" <br />Holley 600/Performer intake<br />Rusty\'s 4\" lift 2\" bodylift<br />6.75 pounds of JB Weld psi.<br />BFG 33\"x12.50\" MT\'s<br />\"built\" Galaxy Ranger ham/cb<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/highsteel29\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/highsteel29</a>
Old 05-03-2002, 08:40 PM

i like the dyno max ultra flow it to is a flow through design but very deep at idle and wheelin but on the highway it is moderate to quite the only time you here it on the jhighway is when you accelerate when you are at speed and holding not noticeable but totale perfomance no restriction at all
yaya looks nice,but does she GO!?<br /><br />1981 cherokee lerado 360/727/208/d44/amc20 Wt<br />posi fnt & bck<br />.030\" overbore <br />crank shaved .010\" and line bored<br />balanced blueprinted<br />crane cam ,lifters<br />edelbrock preformer intake<br />edelbrock 650cfm four barrel carb<br />Tfi upgrade<br />3\" dynomax ultra flo exaust<br />custom lift springs <br />31\" bfg at\'s<br />CBR929 firblade<br />68 roadrunner 383 12.2 1/4 mile<br />original #\'s car
Old 05-04-2002, 09:32 AM
Grease Monkey

i've got a 2 1/2" magna flow. nice rumble but not too loud. i have a friend that has a flowmaster and after awhile it can get quite annoying. sometimes you just want to converse without yelling.
\'87 Grand Wagoneer Bought 3-02 with 34,432 original miles. New water pump, fan clutch, trans cooler, hoses, thermostat, air rails, carb rebuild, modine 3 row radiator, Car Sound Hi Flow cat, 2 1/2\" Magna Flow Muffler, 2 1/2\" exhaust with chrome tip, MDS6A/TFI Upgrade, Bosch plugs, MSD 8.5MM Super Conductor Wires, Michelin LTX MS 31 x 10.5 x 15\'s, 2\" over ESPO springs (poly bushings). Rancho RS9000x Shocks, fuel pump, rebuilt trans, ac overhaul, new belts, hoses, fuel pump and IT STILL WANTS MORE AND MORE AND MORE!!!
Old 05-04-2002, 09:36 AM
Master Mechanic

i have a 3in magna flow and am pleased all around. both of the better muffler shops in my town push these as their first choice. people say it sounds more muscle car than truck (if that makes any sense.)

benjamin
4" Rusty's lift 32x11.5 BFG KM, 1.5" block rear MSD/TFI, Pioneer sound
'85 grill, '78 WT wheels
houston, tx
hermanbloom79@yahoo.com
"if you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it twice." - stolen from another board member who's name i can't recall
Old 05-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Master Mechanic

I just bought a dynomax super turbo (same as walker from autozone/adanced auto) from summit racing for around 45(37 + 8 handling) delivered and i thought it would be louder than it is?...but I like it anyway, seems much like stock inside the rig...at highway speeds it's not loud at all,no more than stock....
Like someone said about dynomax..."all the sound goes out the pipe not the walls of the muffler"

my .02
kel
Old 05-05-2002, 12:01 PM
Grease Monkey

Thumbs up

I'm running a 36" thrush glasspack and once i got all the leaks taken care of, It produced a nice low, quiet rumble at idle, a great bark when I punch it and a mellow rythmn at speed. i won't change it till she's back to original and meaybe then only when the in-laws are in town
Old 05-05-2002, 12:11 PM
Master Mechanic

I just replaced my muffler with a Dynomax Super Turbo,along with repairing my cat,made a world of difference.Like xj2fsj I have some leaks to work out.The Dnomax isn't as quiet as the "70"series Flowmaster,but i've use them before and like the sound.
\'95 Jimmy SLS 4 door 4wd 4.3 CPI/Auto<br />\'89 Grand Am LE 2 door<br />\'88 Grand Wagoneer sadly had to sell<br />\'92 CapriXR2 Turbo/Accel TFI coil<br />\'70 Monte Carlo SS454 107,000 original miles -sad to say but had to sell her<br />Had a \'79 Cherkee S 10 years ago and wish I still did