International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 06-21-2019, 11:05 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws31

So that's where I left my Milwaukee drill. I have had that little drill and the 3/8 ratchet to go with it for years and they are handy as can be. Couple months ago the ratchet head finally just slap wore out. I immediately bought another and fixed that one. They get used all day every day.

I have not figured out two quotes in one post, so I will do another..

Yes those milwaukee drills are the go to tool. I also use it ALL the time. I had one and lost it and bought the one you see there. I ended up finding the lost one in the yard. I went through a 4 foot snow winter and wet thaw. It was seized and with a little work I got it running again. But it has been retired as a book end. I love these drills. They are amazingly strong.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 PM
304 AMC

Bill wanted to see this so I am posting progress here.
It was 37 degrees here last night. You never know here. We have had it freeze in August after an 85 degree day. It keeps you on your toes.
So after two full days of yard work and three absolutely mind numbing days of chemically stripping the mill scale off the stamps and their respective backing plates, I am ready for a quick sand and epoxy work to attach everything. It has actually been to cold to be ideal for epoxying the stamps down. So thats fine since I was not ready for glue yet. I made a muratic acid soaking reservoir to soak each piece. I had a few thunder storms come through so I covered it with plywood and ran for cover to keep the very welcome rain off till it passed. Realizing it was taking to long I built a second reservoir. I got everything down to bare metal this afternoon. Muratic acid is dangerous. It outgasses and fumes big time and can hurt you. I wore an acid apron, long acid gloves and a full face respirator. The suns warmth made the soak almost violent. Like a Yellowstone boiling mud pit. It was fun.

The soaking of two pieces. You can see the black mill scale. Eventually you could wipe it with a gloved finger and it would wipe clean to silver raw metal.

I neutralized everything with a generous soaking with sodium bicarb rinse water, then a fresh water rinse with a quick wipe and dry in the sun. As soon as the moisture was gone I did a fast wipe with must for rust for a protective coating to keep the flash rust from forming. It will preserve the metal till I can sand everything and get epoxy on it. I am a little concerned about light surface rust later on each stamp. I can't oil wipe it because of what it will do to the vinyl and I don't want to accidentally debond the epoxy later. I will figure it out.

Everything stripped and ready for clean up with a sander. These are the X model (lowers on the right side of the pic) and the uppers and lowers of Sadies standard door panels. The frames were not chemically cleaned. I only need them for aligning the stamp parts.

This is a rear door lower frame with the sanded embossing pieces in it. Perfect for getting it all straight when I epoxy them down.

After epoxy and placement, then that is when I remove the frame and this is what each stamp will look like.

I also made the rear rail stamps for the very back panels today. I will have a complete interior soon. I have a meeting in Spokane tomorrow. But I will be back at it asap. This is the very last manufacturing challenge for Sadie. I think I have it nailed.... IF it works that is.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 06-25-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:19 AM
350 Buick

Nice! Very impressive. Even if it doesn't work, it looks great. Lol.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:27 AM
350 Buick

all I can say about the ingenious work being done on this project is:
HOLY CRAP,.....

I think it is really DOC BROWN from back to the future working on this thing,

and they just will not admit it.

sitting beside Sadie there is probably a time machine that he is building
along side this project vehicle.

(shocked again at the brain power at work here.)

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 06-27-2019, 02:22 PM
304 AMC

Well Dave, I was not as productive back when I was drinking a fifth of vodka a day, so this is really keeping me sane and out of trouble. Not to mention the wonderful wife I now have. Thanks though... EDIT: sober 12 years now and beyond grateful for it. The jeep stuff keeps my cup full.
And Bkilby I just might have some interesting wall art for sale. Honestly I hope not... I am stoked on all this though.

So we had a little storm yesterday afternoon when I got home. No power all afternoon. Hard to work in that. So resuming today....

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 06-28-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:11 PM
304 AMC

Very tedious

Out in the sun curing. They got so hot I almost had to use gloves.

All the base model stamps are done and ready. I will finish the X model stamps later this week.

Today I finished all carpet work. Final trimming and punched holes for seat mounts and seat belts. I want the stamps to set up for a day or so before I heat them. Probably Tuesday.... Crossing fingers...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-01-2019, 06:07 PM
360 AMC

I never thought I could be so excited just to see some door panels! This is like an action packed movie!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 07-02-2019, 11:15 AM
304 AMC

In matrix like slow motion.

I am jazzed too. I have some errands today, but I am hoping for a test run tomorrow. I will post results good or bad. Bill the owner of Sadie said in an email yesterday "A clever man makes no small mistakes" I hope he is thinking of someone else.

I also did some repairs on the plastic back seat surround yesterday with a 3M plastic repair I had not used before. With cracks and blown out screw holes, and missing plastic. This repair compound worked way better than I expected.
Since some models like the X model have a .lot of plastic trim pieces, I wanted to post it up. I used masking tape for forms. I will get some pictures and a part number up when I get back. It even looks pretty good from the top side.

Got the wiper pump mounted, horns in, even put the decal on the air cleaner.

I need to find the vacuum diagram for the air cleaner warm air door and the thermoswitch inside the air cleaner. I have the three port switch mounted in the intake up front. I was going to try and search buick 350 stuff online. I even looked at Buick's the last car show. Lots of hoods were down and no owners were around to ask.
Anybody have a quick answer there? Aside from a wingnut for the air cleaner top, that is all that is left under the hood.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-02-2019, 01:48 PM
350 Buick

Have you looked on oljeep.com for the diagram?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
Have you looked on oljeep.com for the diagram?

Did that last night from your suggestion. They don't have anything before 1976. I looked anyway because the design and function should be the same. I did not find much but still wandered through the site. Especially the electrical.
Bill the owner of Sadie called and I was in the process of looking online for Buick Skylark vacuum stuff. Bill pulls another rabbit out of his hat and sent me several pages of the exact information complete with theory of operation for the warm air circuit. It came out of a factory manual. So it is all figured out and I will obtain some vacuum line and make it happen.
If I get to the door panel embossing it will be later this afternoon or even tomorrow. Some stuff has come up today I am trying to get it done.
I ordered Chrome trim for the door panels, adhesive promoter and some trim cutters. I can't find the original profiles. I tried for way to long. I am not done there.

I wish I could find some stainless rectangular tubing 5/8 wide by 1/8 tall. I could run it through the bead roller and make it just like the main chrome strip. I have not given up on finding it yet. Google searches are polluted with irrelevant info to wade through now.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-04-2019, 09:26 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps

I wish I could find some stainless rectangular tubing 5/8 wide by 1/8 tall. I could run it through the bead roller and make it just like the main chrome strip. I have not given up on finding it yet. Google searches are polluted with irrelevant info to wade through now.

By tubing, did you mean flat bar? I don't think you're going to find tubing that's 1/8" tall. Not enough thickness to make it hollow.

https://www.metalsdepot.com/stainles...ess-steel-flat
Old 07-04-2019, 11:15 AM
304 AMC

It was thin small tubing. Like the hobby brass tubing you can get but in SS. If I could find it I could send it through the bead roller and get the same profile as the factory chrome strip on the lower portion of the base model door panels.
There was a company I had book marked that had a plastic trim piece that was super close. Their website is defunct and the phone number goes to an answering machine. So they are out. I can't seem to find it just yet. I will have chrome trim on the panels. It just won't match the original exactly.

I am heading out to the sweat shop for a test run on the vinyl embossing. I got called out yesterday and had some travel time. So I did not get to it as I had planned. But today I think I can get some progress. And I will post the plastic part repair later as promised. I have been waiting for this.

Happy 4th of July everyone. Don't light your neighbors lawn on fire.

EDIT: metal website bookmarked, good stuff there! Thanks Bkilby!

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-04-2019, 04:58 PM
304 AMC

About 7 stamp attempts (I stopped counting) and I am almost there. I need more definition and I believe I may need to glue on the foam backing first.
I tried two types of vinyl. One being the same as the headliner and I discovered it does not take the process well. It gets shiney spots and has an uneven sheen. The other vinyl I think has a grain that is to subtle and it is also very matte in finish. So I may need to find something else.
I discovered it takes a lot of heat to get the metal to 240-250. And it cools fast. I started off with a stamp that was built here and did not come off the water jet. Just in case.
The passenger rear removable panel and mock up and positioning with the beat up original panel

I started out with lower temps intentionally. Just in case. I tried 4 attempts and they got better with higher temps but I never made anything I would keep. The silver x's are previous attempts.

I discovered the plywood was no longer flat. I shimmed it with washers. Still unimpressed. I placed a 1/4 thick sheetmetal remnant on it. For a flat resilient surface. I even tried laying a 3/16 thick neoprene sheet down. I am not sure if it helped the pattern just yet.

I also decided to use a rear lower door stamp. This is the matte vinyl. Good definition but the vinyl is to dull and grain to light.

Not to bad really. Just not good enough..

Up close. It needs more heat. I wait till the metal is under 100 degrees before removing the stamp.

Decided to try the headliner vinyl. It has a thick backing and I thought it would be the one. So cut out enough for the whole door and marked it with tape thinking it might be a keeper. Nope....

It was light in the center on previous work so I moved the clamp foot inward.

Looks like pooh. I won't be using this vinyl.

More shiney pooh...

So I am going to give the electrical power meter a rest and call it good for today. The press table is damaged and needs work. One of the all thread shafts is galled and needs replacement. I want to rework the feet on both and I might add a reinforcement on the back of each arm pivot right above the upper bearing. It is surprising how much the arms flex. I want a lot of pressure and don't want to loose it with movement there.

So I am getting close and I am confident I will end up with something cool.

It will take me a couple days to make the improvements and repairs.
Till then, happy 4th.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM
304 AMC

More head scratching. Some changes and round 2... I believe I have won this one.

I modified the press table. I put an upper support for the top of the arms so when I clamp it it clamps and does not just lift the arm up bending the gigantisaurus bolt I put in there that the arm pivots on. I also put a bearing on each press foot. Now it lands and stays right where I want it when clamping down. It works like I intended. Very minimal arm lift and it clamps fast and where I want.

I even painted it yesterday.

I made three more sample pieces to try. But to try and gain my missing definition I glued the open cell foam on the back BEFORE pressing. I used 4 way stretch, and two different black vinyls to see how they would take heat and pressure.

Here we go... Nothing fancy for the bearings I added. Some lathe work and on they went. I shimmed the plywood very carefully and checked it several times with a 4 foot level to make sure it was as flat as a gluten free pancake.

I did the three pieces. Holy Moly it worked! The 4 way stretch is out. It deformed and is to flexible.

Look at the new definition. This is what I wanted and looks just like the original. This is sample number 2

The other sample. Number 1

OK Bill... (patient owner of Sadie) Pick one. Sample number 1 is a finer grain, slightly less definition, it keeps it's sheen in the press area, and is very resistant to heat shadows from the backing plate. I know lousy pictures.

Sample number 2. Much more coarse grain, is affected by heat on the backing plate more, and gets a little shiney in the press area from it's original sheen. And has better crisper lines and definition.

I am considering a sheet of 18 GA on the table surface. Then use super magnets to hold the vinyl flat to try and avoid heat damage from either contact or expansion lifting. Or use clamps. I will mark center on the stamps for accurate placement with it's neighboring stamp.
I am pretty jazzed to see these results. Especially after thinking about this project for several years. One roll of chrome trim is here. Two more choices are on the way. I will get set up for the final product. The best part of all this, I can use sample 1 and 2 for place mats on the dinner table.

Two steps forward today.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 07-09-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:20 PM
350 Buick

Damn! Very nice! Got a pic of the original you can show as a comparison?
Old 07-10-2019, 01:07 AM
304 AMC

I will post one tomorrow after I get back from a road trip. I need some supplies.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-10-2019, 08:02 AM
304 AMC

Beautiful work!!! Let us know when you are ready to sell these, I will buy A set.

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 07-10-2019, 08:16 PM
304 AMC

Here is an original rear door panel. I tried to restore it but it is not good enough. I peeled it off the old warped moldy door card, soaked the very brittle vinyl in 303 for over a year between two sheets of plastic and a flannel sheet soaked in 303 to keep it moist (and it did indeed work, it is soft and pliable now) Then reglued it to a new water jetted door card that had to be trimmed back. The vinyl had shrunk and it would never fit an original correct sized door card. So using the sample first run door cards I had done, I mounted the vinyl up after trimming the card edges hoping to get something on Sadie till I finished the new construction door panels. Well the chrome tape would not stick to the trim pieces. Probably from the 303 soak. I could not bear to put them on. So I am trying to complete a new panel set that will look super and last in heat and cold.

Here is the original.

And thank you Full Size Jeeper. It is nice to know I would have at least one set to sell later. It will be a bit though. I have a lot of work to do yet. And I need to make sure it is well made and the chrome trim strip's stays on on a super hot day. I will hope to have all 4 door panels and the rear bed panels to match. And if I really got my scene together, include a new headliner for a near complete interior face lift kit. I am not sure what is in my fabricating future.

Question if anyone knows.... What ever happened to Tatsayago (spelling?) over at the other site. He was going gang busters on making new door panels. The last post I ever saw regarding his new panels was nearly a year old. Did he quit? Is he selling them? Anyone know?

Anyway, have a nice evening...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 PM
304 AMC

Slaving over a hot stove. Ok well an oven. I am getting closer to having an interior. I am still having some heat blistering that I wish I could stop from happening. It is mild but visible if you look. I wish I had cut the blacking plates to just a skosh bigger than the stamps. There is a lot of metal hanging out over the vinyl. It is hot and leaving it's mark. I need a heat blocker that won't interfere with the pattern and the texture. I am thinking gasket material cut to size and carefully placed. I will work on something. I believe I can make them better. But they look pretty darn good.

Lots of mapping out what goes where. Marking the embossing stamps even.

Not to bad. I am going to try and emboss where the chrome trim goes like the originals. Getting everything straight is a challenge.

I ruined a rear door so I will have to do that over. But here is the lot so far. I am getting better definition from the smaller stamps. The large front door stamps leave a slightly lighter press image.

See. Not bad though.

I will keep on it. Getting some other small stuff done also. Like adjusting the shift linkage so when in drive the shift indicator is positioned over the "D".
And it looks like I might have to pull the tansmission again. It is dripping from the torque converter housing. I replaced the front seal before it went in. Dang me....
Anyway...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-15-2019, 08:09 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
I wish I had cut the blacking plates to just a skosh bigger than the stamps.

I'm not clear or what the problem is but could you just radius the offending edges effectively making the open areas bigger or do you need the sharp edge? Maybe bevel them?

They look good from here.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.