International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 08-05-2009, 07:20 AM

Who all has a 360 tick?

Well, the GW is sporting new rear main seal, oil pan gasket, fixed a coolant leak, and a host of other little odds and ends including new exhaust manifolds which aided it in running much quieter. The 360 has about 114,000 or so on a rebuild but the rig sat for a few years before I got it. Noticing a little tick at idle that can also be heard ever so slightly at acceleration as well, could be a lifter, etc....not too highly concerned about it because this particular engine won't stay in the rig forever and she runs pretty good otherwise but I was curious as to who all has an engine tick and could it possibly be something simpler external to the engine I could look at fixing?

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 AM
304 AMC

First guess would be an exhaust leak but I see new manifolds installed. Most of my "ticks" were related to leaking manifolds and smog tubes/fittings. Did have a lifter tick once but it went away after warm-up and never caused any problems.
Could also check the air pump and related fittings.
Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 AM
350 Buick

Could be the exhaust flapper "Flap on, flap off, flap stuck, dam% flapper."
Old 08-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Grease Monkey

Mine ticks but I have an exhaust leak which will be fixed soon.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 AM
FSJ Maniac

if it is a valve tick are you running a fram filter? me and a few others reduced our ticks when we changed to another brand of oil filter. Frams use cardboard on the ends of their filter and it doesent seal well so it lets alot of oil around the filter.

In to Turbo crap now
Old 08-05-2009, 11:57 AM

No, it's not Fram filter, but thats a good tip...I will add that to my "knowledgebase".

I am not familiar with the exhaust flapper...is that located anywhere on or close to the engine? This tick was present prior to new exhaust manifolds. The muffler and tailpipe is going to have to be replaced for sure but this tick is on or near the engine.

I did read the tech piece about EGR-related issues and knocking...I know I'll have to do that for sure.

I am not convinced that it is internal engine yet....guess a little more investigating will be required!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDrew
No, it's not Fram filter, but thats a good tip...I will add that to my "knowledgebase".

I am not familiar with the exhaust flapper...is that located anywhere on or close to the engine? This tick was present prior to new exhaust manifolds. The muffler and tailpipe is going to have to be replaced for sure but this tick is on or near the engine.

I did read the tech piece about EGR-related issues and knocking...I know I'll have to do that for sure.

I am not convinced that it is internal engine yet....guess a little more investigating will be required!

The exhaust heater valve is on the pass side between the manifold and tube. Supposed to stay closed to force heat back up untill it warms up then opens to flow exhaust.
If the "tick" is near the top I'd bet it's a rotting tube connecting to the air pump. It took me awhile to track down this the first time years ago.
Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "
Old 08-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Occasionally tick if my Y-pipe is loose. Either side. Dang Y-pipe.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
All Makes Combined

You should have asked who all DOESN'T have a 360 tick, and see what their secret is, lol.

The Southern California FSJ forum
Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 PM

Mine tickedwhen i got it. I changed the plugs and noticed that the pass. side rear plug wire was not snapped on all the way. after i changed plugs the tick was gone.
Edelbrock Performer intake manifold
600 CFM Holley carb
Welded spiders out back
Gently massaged fenders...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 PM
350 Buick

Had a lifter tick after it sat for a few months while I was swapping on the HEI, 2131, 1406, and whatever else I did at that time. Ran some Seafoam through it and never heard anything else. I do not know if it was the Seafoam, or if it just went away.
1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 AM

Hydraulic lifters are notorious for the "tick". I ended up replacing the hydraulic "buckets" as the seals had dried out and wouldn't hold oil very well, after sitting for a year.