International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-31-2004, 07:09 AM

Question

Today I found out I had to go through our wonderful emissions testing system(actually I thought I was on the off year. I was wrong).

About 2 weeks ago I cut the belt to my air pump. The pump was making an awful racket. The same day I replaced my muffler. While replacing the muffler, I looked inside the cat and saw that it was falling apart. Well today I went through emissions, not thinking about the above minor details. I failed the test in 2 places.

HC=6.31 Passing=4.00
CO=78.59 Passing=40.00
NOX=3.48 Passing=5.50

My question is, if I replace the pump, with these numbers, do you think I'll pass? Or should I do some other work? I really don't want to replace the cat, unless I need to.

The strange thing is, nobody saw that there was no belt on the air pump.
RyPhil<br /><br />1986 GW DD BJ\'s 4\" lift and she\'s gotta nice rack!<br /><br />1953 Glasspar G2 in pieces in the back yard but used to be my DD<br /><br />And now a 2004 Mazda3. Its got air conditioning. I know all you folks in AZ are jealous!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:17 AM
350 Buick

Good luck on the emmissions test. Out here in Maryland they run a racket on you. I cant seem to get my rig through no matter what I do. and they convieniently have several certified emmissions stations nearby to help with all the troubles lol. And get this if you get over 450 dollars wkorth of emmissions related repairs done you get a waiver and dont have to worry about emmissions for two more years. What a racket.

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel
Old 03-31-2004, 11:34 AM

DITTO!!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Gear Head

Pour HEET in the tank and go again. I ran a severely gross polluter down to about a gallon or 2 and put in 7 bottles of HEET (fuel line antifreeze) and it read ZERO!!!! on the gauges. They tested it again and it came up ZERO AGAIN!! I putted it out of there to a gas station and was off.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:27 PM
Grease Monkey

the pump is a good start, also if you havent already relpace the cat, and a tune up helps you would be suprised how far a dirty air filter can raise youre HC levels

UPDATE: due to some unfortunate circumstances I have had to get rid if my jeeps
Old 03-31-2004, 01:32 PM

Phil,
Sounds like you need a really good full tuneup, oil change and to replace that cat.
Is Maricopa std's different the Pima?
Don't reall any NOX test here, but then I drive old POS stuff.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 03-31-2004, 01:41 PM
Gear Head

You bet I just passed here in Tx Monday. I have no pollution stuff on mine. I put a new CAT. and EGR valve on. Adjusted the timming and fuel mixture. Passed with flying colors. See I PASSED MY EMMISSIONS TEST TX. In general discussion. Make sure you drive the H*ll out of it before the test get it hot.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:30 PM

I'm going to try everything but the new cat. I just welded a new muffler on and its up in the frame so tight and pretty, I'm just gonna wish it to work. Everything else is relatively easy, but that darn cat. And it's not cheap.

I sure dropped the ball on this one.

[ March 31, 2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: ryphil ]
RyPhil<br /><br />1986 GW DD BJ\'s 4\" lift and she\'s gotta nice rack!<br /><br />1953 Glasspar G2 in pieces in the back yard but used to be my DD<br /><br />And now a 2004 Mazda3. Its got air conditioning. I know all you folks in AZ are jealous!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs, PVC valve, fuel filter, oil change. Try removing the Air Filter entirely, just for the test. It brings in more air and leans it out a bit.
I'd be suprised if you passed without replacing the cat, though.

1977 J10, shortbed, 360, T18a 4-speed, D20, 32\" A/T tires, Warn hubs - Forest Service Green
Old 04-01-2004, 03:05 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Wagoneerlover:
Good luck on the emmissions test. Out here in Maryland they run a racket on you. I cant seem to get my rig through no matter what I do.
Wagoneerlover: there was a story in the NY Times about a month ago about a software glitch in the inspection equipment used by some states (NJ was one; Maryland may have been another). Seems the computer gave faulty readings (too high), requiring drivers to get unnecessary repairs. There was a rebate program in effect to reimburse the victims. Check to see if Maryland is one of the affected states.
Matthew W. Woodruff<br />woodruff@panix.com<br />1989 Grand Wagoneer \"Laredo\"<br /><br />What works: tailgate window, rear wiper/washer, power windows, A/C, temp and compass, seat belt buzzer, fog lights, cruise control<br /><br />What doesn\'t: gas gauge, remote door locks, rear window defroster, cigar lighter
Old 04-01-2004, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew W. Woodruff:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wagoneerlover:
Good luck on the emmissions test. Out here in Maryland they run a racket on you. I cant seem to get my rig through no matter what I do.
Wagoneerlover: there was a story in the NY Times about a month ago about a software glitch in the inspection equipment used by some states (NJ was one; Maryland may have been another). Seems the computer gave faulty readings (too high), requiring drivers to get unnecessary repairs. There was a rebate program in effect to reimburse the victims. Check to see if Maryland is one of the affected states.</font>[/quote]must be the same company that ct has.they are giving rebates out now for un needed repairs

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"
Old 04-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Resident ***hole

Robert, I couldn't get mine to pass 2 years ago either, but I didn't have a cat at all. I had a new cat put on ($120) and it passed. I would start by putting a belt on the air pump just for the test, and if you have to then I would replace the cat.

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
2000 Jeep Wrangler
1988 Cadillac Brougham
1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
1965 Pontiac Tempest 326