International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-15-2004, 02:39 PM

Lightbulb

Just a little info on how my install went.

First take a before picture.

The following is just how I did it. You can probably do it with MUCH fewer tools. But they do make it easier.

I won't repeat a lot of info you can find on other post here, so you'll need to do other research.

Take another pic.

First you want a couple of floor jacks and a couple of large jack stands and a couple of smaller jack stands. Other than a good socket and wrench set, a large breaker bar and a impact wrench will come in handy.

Spray all fasteners with a penetrating oil. Work the bolt on the front of the driver side rear spring well in advance. This will probably save you some time later.

We had no problems removing any of our fasteners. When we tried to replace the infamous BFDSRS(bolt on the front of the driver side rear spring)we had a little problem. The bolt would not catch the nut. We tried twisting the spring different ways and raising and lowering the axle. It caught the threads a couple of times but each time it cross threaded. It was time to get behind the tank. We removed the bolts to the skidplate and tried to move it over enough to get a hand in there. The skidplate was hitting the driveshaft. After disconnect the driveshaft, we were able to shift the skidplate over enough to get ample room behind the tank and replace the nut. We stole a nut from the front suspension for that location. I don't plan on having to access that bolt again so we didn't worry about it being attached to anything other than the bolt. All told, pulling the tank, as far as we pulled it, wasn't much more than half an hour extra.

On to the front...

Take more pictures.

Nothing to report that wasn't covered on the rear.

Both front and rear...

Another photo

Leave the shackle and spring end bolts loose. Make sure the ubolts are good and tight. Get a couple of friends to help you bounce the Jeep a few times. Now you can tighten the rest of the spring fasteners. Bleed your brakes. Start at the begining and CHECK ALL FASTENERS FOR TIGHTNESS, including lug nuts.

Take a picture.

Go for a ride on a straight street so you can check the steering wheel alignment. Also turn a couple of tight circles to make sure your tires arent rubbing. Check your Haynes manual on these adjustments if you need to.

Take a final picture of your new Jeep and your assistants.

Get your toe-in checked

Learn how to post pics on the forum and show your friends.

Make plans to go wheeling.

Go wheeling.
RyPhil<br /><br />1986 GW DD BJ\'s 4\" lift and she\'s gotta nice rack!<br /><br />1953 Glasspar G2 in pieces in the back yard but used to be my DD<br /><br />And now a 2004 Mazda3. Its got air conditioning. I know all you folks in AZ are jealous!
Old 03-16-2004, 03:12 AM
Grease Monkey

Smile

That sounds like some good advice. My kit will be arriving this week, but I'll get to the installation after the weekend. And yes, I'll post pics! How big is your lift, and how does it ride now?
1963 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible. 3 on the tree, 260 V-8. Stock, clean, head-turner

Ken
Old 03-16-2004, 04:40 AM

I have a BJ's 4" and it rides better than ever. Of course I needed to replace the old bushings anyway. An added benefit is it is much quieter. It rattled a lot before. Now I just need to replace the muffler.
RyPhil<br /><br />1986 GW DD BJ\'s 4\" lift and she\'s gotta nice rack!<br /><br />1953 Glasspar G2 in pieces in the back yard but used to be my DD<br /><br />And now a 2004 Mazda3. Its got air conditioning. I know all you folks in AZ are jealous!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:02 AM

what kit are you guys using ? SkyJacker Rancho - who makes the best or easist to install ?

86 Stock 64,000 miles

83 Cherokee - 258 I6 Stock [for now]
Old 03-17-2004, 12:51 AM
Resident ***hole

Ryphil and I are both usings BJ's Off Road 4" lift with ProComp ES3000 shocks. It's a great kit.
"Easy" is not a word that I would associate with any lift kit install. It's not real difficult, but certainly not easy. If you do it yourself, get some friends to help.

[ March 17, 2004, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: 89grand ]

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
2000 Jeep Wrangler
1988 Cadillac Brougham
1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
1965 Pontiac Tempest 326
Old 03-17-2004, 01:51 AM
Rabble Rouser

Quote:
Originally posted by ryphil:
I have a BJ's 4" and it rides better than ever. Of course I needed to replace the old bushings anyway. An added benefit is it is much quieter. It rattled a lot before. Now I just need to replace the muffler.
Why replace the muffler? Deer need warning of you coming around the bend

Cant wait to see pics, doing the same shortly to mine (except only 2" blocks)
Hunter S. Thompson .