• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadow1991
    232 I6
    • Jan 19, 2011

Pros and Cons of 258

Just wondering if a 258 can be built to be a good replacement for a 360. Why not keep the 360? MPGS, just considering different options. Any advice or insight would be great, thanks!!!
    Proud Veteran and Proud Wagoneer Owner!
    1990 Grand Wagoneer
    4 Inch Lift, 360 bored .30
    how much money I have spent?!!
  • Chumley360
    350 Buick
    • Sep 06, 2007

From my dealings with the 258 it's not really an "economy" motor. It's a great motor, I love them to death, but it's not where I'd turn looking for more MPG's. It's been discussed on the forum and I believe the general consensus is a diesel swap is the best bang for the buck. Now a diesel, OD trans, and a lower set of gears is probably the winning combo overall.

But back to your question; yes a 258 could be built as a good, reliable 360 replacement. But the cost of doing so might be better spend in a different swap, IMHO.
    1968 M715-Driveway queen/in progress

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Good reliable torquey grunt motor. Doesn't like high RPMs, so don't spend a bunch of money trying to make it go fast. Not a high mpg motor either. If your rig had one I keep it before swapping to a V8 but going from a 360 to 258 ain't worth the swap grief. If you're looking for mpgs:
      A: you bought the wrong vehicle.
      B: go diesel.
      C: save the swap costs and put the money in the fuel tank.
      D: if money is a big concern rethink "A."
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

IMO you're better off with a 4.0L HO than a 258. The 258's problem, as mentioned, is that it has a long stroke compared to its bore. The stroke ratio is a central factor in where the torque peaks for any given engine A long stroke engine (undersquare) will have a lower RPM torque peak than a short stroke engine (oversquare) of the same displacement. HP is basically torque times RPM, so the higher the torque peak, the more power, all other factors being equal.

The 4.0L (242) engine has a larger bore and a shorter stroke, and makes significantly more power than the 258 (4.2L). More power is better at highway speeds, but you lose much of the low-speed acceleration that people like about the 258.

The 4.0L HO also comes with the excellent Mopar multiport fuel injection, and will give you better fuel economy than the 258.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• trailscape
          258 I6
          • Feb 23, 2009

This is where I'm presently torn. My 258 is too loud and obnoxious for a six, gets about 4mpg and could probably use an overhaul. That said, on the occasional day the weather is right and the planets align that little 258 can burn rubber and run so nice it'll leave me grinning.

I'm either going to give in and pay someone to fix my carb or swap in a complete 4.0 setup. I'd love a 360 but that seems like a whole lot more work.
          1974 J10 258 T18/D20
          Project since 2009. Collecting dust while in school.

2002 Tundra - Daily Driver

Comment

• mdill
            Gone. Not Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2000

Upside Jeep used the basic unit until a couple years ago.
            Easy swap to 4.0 or build a 4.5-4.7 stroker, drop it in the same hole as the 258. (Will spank a stock 360)

Downside of keeping a 258 (?) I like them a lot, simple to keep going, not much grunt but will pull down in the RPM range pretty good.

Swapping on it for a FSJ that had a 360 ? Way not worth it, Jeep did to many things different between the V8 rigs and the I6 rigs to do that without a organ donor right next to where you are doing the swap.
            -----------------------------------------
            Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
            1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
            1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
            1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
            1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
            And the other stuff that gets driven
            ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Tornado230
              350 Buick
              • Sep 14, 2008

In 1954, The Hudson flat-head 6 cylinder outperformed all overhead V-8s including Chrysler Hemi. It won 27 out of 29 Grand National Races. clifford performance

Let your wallet be your guide.

Also---http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/index.html
              Last edited by Tornado230; 02-16-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Metal Twister
                350 Buick
                • Oct 20, 2008

Could of had a V-8. Had them both and there is no comparing them. Enjoy your new V-8.

Comment

• CJ5
                  350 Buick
                  • May 07, 2002

Mileage wise they are pretty equal. The I6's I own get better mileage than the 360's I won.

The I6's are quick and have plenty of torque but the 360 is a bit better.

They are both easy to work with and are dependable.

The I6 is the most durable/reliable motor ever built. The 360 certainly has advantages but in the long run you are not going to beat the durability of the I6.

This is from experience. I have owned 6 I6 Jeeps and all of them had in excess of 350k on them with no major work. In fact, I have given them away to family and friends and all 6 are still going. I have 2 new Grands with I6's. I never even considered anything else when I purchased them.
                  Chief Laredo Build Album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
                  '72CJ - Complete Restore
                  '81SJ - Loredo Resto Project
                  '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• jeepjerry
                    304 AMC
                    • Oct 12, 2008

258s are great engines, but it wouldnt be worth all the trouble to change over from a 360 to one. I would shoot for a 4.0 first like mentioned above.

They do get decent fuel mileage though. My old '83 cherokee pioneer averaged 17-18 mpg and i had a '84 amc eagle that did 21-22 mpg. Took much less for the 258 to move a mid sized car compared to a full size jeep though. They were both manual transmission vehicles.
                    1977 J-20, 4bbl AMC 360/t-18,33"s.
                    1976 CJ-5, Healthy AMC 360/t-18, 6" lift, 35"s.
                    1972 Javelin SST, mild AMC 360. Under cunstruction.

AMC ya!!

Alfano Performance
                    Kenosha, WI 53142
                    http://www.alfanoperformance.com
                    For your AMC performance parts.

Comment

• jeepcomj
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 18, 2007

pros....

crank and rods are good to make a stroker out of a 4.0

cons...
                      everything.
                      1986 Jeep comanche
                      3800 camaro motor 5 speed 4wd 3" lift full
                      skids

1986 Jeep Cherokee
                      2.5 4 cyl, 5 speed. 4wd 4.10 gears skid plate
                      package

Comment

• GaJeep94YJ
                        232 I6
                        • May 18, 2003

since you are in SC, I got a spare 4.0HO from a 98 TJ sitting in the garage I can make you a good deal on!

Comment

• mud89
                          304 AMC
                          • Nov 18, 2009

Another option if you already have a 258 : a 258 with the 4.0L head
                          You still have the low rpm torque of the 258, and you have more power at high rpm thanks to the 4.0L head
                          Not sure that you have a better mpg than the stock 258 ? I guess so if you get the injection with the 4.0L head
                          J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• drlocke
                            Roadside Mechanic
                            • Dec 29, 2003

I've always thought an inline 6 was a good motor. If my Wagoneer had one it would still have it. It came to me with the V8 and it still has it. I think joe summed it up pretty well with his ABCD stuff.

Around the farm I think a 258 would probably be fine in a Wagoneer/Cherokee. But mine is apt to be there, and also driving in the population corridor of the Northeast and vying with traffic that tends to run up one's backside if one even thinks about driving as slow as the speed limit. I can't help but think that a 258 would have to work pretty hard to do what the 8 under my hood seems to do without half trying. This is more than mere speculation, because I have driven all types of vehicle with both types of motor. When Kaiser started phasing the V8s into the SJ line they did so for a reason.

You may get a couple more MPGs out of the inline 6, but I doubt it would be worth it in the long haul. No matter how much prices go up at the pump there will always still be more to the equation than MPG alone.

Comment

• smogdredd
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 19, 2010

The brick factor

All SUVs and pickups suffer from the brick factor. This limit puts You at a maximum MPG of 17-20 under ideal conditions. Ideal conditions are steady state highway cruising. Unfortunatly the only room for improvement is precise fuel controll and discopline of the right foot. Even in a 3/4 ton Ford with a fuel injected 460 17 mpg is not ony possible but relativly easy to acheive. Deisels are slightly better at around 19-22. The simple fact is that Newtonian physics are not just a good idea, it's the law. If You want gas milage weight and areodynamics are the only answer, That's why all the cars look like a squashed potato!
                              '63 wagoneer '87 360 running gear except T case (207), warn hubs, 3.56 diffs and EFI Holley pro-jection using ford cfi throttle body Stock dist. with four wire HEI module.

'67 Scout 152cid w/EFI and turbo also My own a little help from Chrysler. I am a fabricator, I make stuff up!

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

Working...
                              X