International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 04-24-2019, 06:16 PM
327 Rambler

PAINT GURUS - stupid question about garage paint booth

I've been planning this for years. I'm going to paint my Jeep in my garage (and hopefully other project cars down the line).

I plan to build an enclosed booth with poly sheeting and PVC or something.

I bought a Hobbyair supplied air respirator to be safe, like this:

Here's the stupid question - Considering this, that the air I'll be breathing will be fresh from outside, do I still need/want ventilation from the booth to outside? Or can I just shoot the paint, let it dry, and then open a door to outside to let all those fumes float away?

I assume there's reasons other than my safety to have continuous ventilation with clean fresh air, but just want to check that.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 PM
304 AMC

The first reason is so you can see what your painting. You will get done with the roof and realize you can't see 4 feet. The single most biggest hazard is the explosive potential of all that misted paint in the booth. Anything can light it off. Static from the plastic, fans, lights, any slight source of spark. Boom and you are on the news. When I painted the wagoneer, I did the doors and hood by them selves. Then later while shooting the tub I had to open the booth to get some of the paint fumes out so I could see and not be 100 percent convinced I was going to explode. It was tough and I NEVER want to paint something as big as a wagoneer again. I have done a couple CJ's and they are not a big deal. And one thing to consider, I sprayed down my walls and floor with an ACE pump up sprayer. To help with dust and static. It won't take long to contaminate the plastic walls where they will shed so much dust and dried paint, it will make particle free painting just about impossible. So count on changing the plastic at least between rigs.

I used fans pushing air into the booth through furnace filters. And a piece of 10 inch plastic culvert about 5 feet long with a huge blower fan on the end and going inside the booth I had two big auto air filters capped with a 5 gallon bucket lid. It worked ok for a while but eventually just blew dust up.

If you have neighbors near by, you stand a good chance of them complaining and turning you in. It will stink, and the billowing clouds of misted paint coming out from your shop door is stunning to see. That cloud will stain stuff.

The fresh air system you have is great. I bought one also. But think about all I mention and if it is such a great idea. Especially in California. The hardest part is clean dirt free paint that looks good. And not blowing yourself into the next block is probably much more important.

I just re-read your post. If you paint in a house garage, count on completely contaminating your entire home with such a stench, I bet you don't sleep there that evening. It will be beyond miserable inside your living room. Don't ask how I know this. wink.

Just my two cents.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 04-25-2019, 02:19 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

agreed with Kaiser, i didmy own in the garage with the same air system. it will stink up a storm ....be sure to flip breakers an all ignition sources and kill off the gas appliances. dust is a killer so wet down the floor well before hand to capture dust and over spray, use a good water/oil filter and a new hose.

mine came out very decent given it was my first attempt ( had alot of help from a member called redone) be sure to practice alot on scrap panels - both horiz and vert.....

good luck...pm me for help but i am a experienced noob... but others could help more than me

steve

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 05-06-2019, 07:19 AM
232 I6

2 options are
1 ask around there are a few body shops that will rent their booth out.
2 check your local community colleges.if you take a course in paint and body you can shoot it in their booth.

I have painted a few cars in the home garage it can be done. But There is no substitute for a good paint booth
1965 mustang fastback
1972 international travelette
Yes I have a problem that’s why Iam here
Old 05-06-2019, 11:33 AM

Agree, you need lots of light. You could use clear poly and build your booth outdoors... the main purpose of the booth is to keep dust off of the paint while it sets. It is possible to do this in the garage without building a separate booth - just clean everything thoroughly so there is no dust. Put a couple of box fans running full blast under the garage door. Then when you are done, shut the door and let the paint set.

I also hear that spraying outdoors work pretty well, if the conditions are good. Maybe in the morning when the air is still ... asumming you don't have a lot of bugs there.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 05-06-2019, 02:08 PM
out of order

Personally I'd never do any painting inside my garage. Overspray goes everywhere/anywhere. It will attach itself to everything.

What does not becomes very fine dust that'll travel everywhere.
Keep in mind you cannot even see this.

Got kids & pets, paint is very nasty stuff and just would not do it in an attached garage.

I'd build something outside or as suggested find a booth rental etc.
Check for inflatable paint booths as well, there maybe someone in your area that rents one out.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:31 PM
350 Buick

I used an HVLP five stage turbine system in my garage booth. It creates considerably less overspray and mist than a conventional system. Gun pressure is about 10psi. But the smell (attached garage) still seeped into the house. Works great on epoxy and primer. It does a very nice job on finish coats, but it's very technique sensitive....likes the finish paint thinned more than for a conventional sprayer. No issues with moisture and fisheyes as the turbine throws out warm dry air. That same phenomena causes epoxy and two part urethanes to dry in the gun very quickly, so you have to mix new batches and sometimes clean the gun between each cupful of paint.

My booth worked well for everything except the cab. The low ceiling in the garage made spraying the roof very difficult. .
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:37 PM
327 Rambler

Not only will keeping the air clear help you see, but it's also a part of how the paint cures.

You also want a full faced mask. Modern paints have stuff in them that you will absorb through your eyes (they'll burn like mad, too).

And don't forget to wear a full suit with gloves so you don't absorb chemicals through your skin.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:35 PM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouring442
Not only will keeping the air clear help you see, but it's also a part of how the paint cures.

You also want a full faced mask. Modern paints have stuff in them that you will absorb through your eyes (they'll burn like mad, too).

And don't forget to wear a full suit with gloves so you don't absorb chemicals through your skin.

Exactly!
When I was in school we had a safety class that went over all the hazards and they are very real and very scary.
One of the things folks do not realize is the real dangers of the stuff.
The vapors travel and the overspray/dust/particles left after spraying are toxic.
Like I mentioned above, no way I'd paint anything in an attached garage.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:53 PM
350 Buick

I painted cars in my home shop for a living for several years. I actually built a spray booth inside my garage but I found it was often occupied with other projects when I needed to use it so I decided to paint outside.

For occasional painting where deadlines don't need to be kept I found outdoors to be the best place for painting. There is often a window of opportunity in the morning of warm months when the conditions are great for painting. This is before the sun gets too high, the wind starts to blow and the bugs start to fly. For occasional painting I would not consider building any type of painting facility. Some of my best paint work was done outdoors.

The trick is to prepare everything the day before and keep the vehicle inside to prevent dew from forming on the surface. When right, move the car or parts outside and let the sun bake the paint after it is applied. Remember not to leave any masking tape on too long or you may have a job removing it that you didn't expect.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?