• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Con-man 78 J10
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 25, 2015

New 78 j10 project

My son and I just started a 78j10 build. He is 15 and this will be his truck when done. Will see if we can do it by the time he turns 16.
    I'm looking forward to the help and advice from the forum.
    We have started with the floor pans both sides. Took out the rust yesterday. Will clean up the cross members and start fitting the new floor.
    The bed is a mess. I found new box sides and floors but I also need the cross bracing, any ideas where I can get those. Or other ideas of materials to use?
    I will also need the end caps for the box sides, any sugestions?

Thank you..
  • Headhoncho
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Oct 11, 2006

Welcome from NJ.

Floor pans can be found in the aftermarket. Replacement bed sheet metal is found from donor vehicles or new old stock.

Only body panels I've seen reproduced are front fenders and floor pans.

Where are you located? Rust belt? Location makes finding parts easy/difficult.

JR
    [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
    1966 mustang fastback
    '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

The bed cross braces will have to be made at a welding shop. You sure yo want to take on a badly rusted truck? Rust is the expensive demon of all auto repair work even with new steel parts avail it's still major work and money. Essentially what isn't avail will have to be custom made by you or someone else. It's a cool project thing you and your kid is doing but to me sounds like you're in way over your head. Some badly rusted old crap just ain't worth the effort. It's an old Jeep truck not a 57 Chevy. Have you considered finding a more worthy resto candidate and just using what you have as a parts donor? I bet you're in the salted roads rust belt if the cross members of the bed are shot, so good used local parts won't be an option so you'll be having a lot of stuff custom made.
      I used to live in the rust belt(MI) and know my skill,economic, time frames and badly rusted rigs don't fit in any of my boxes anymore. Rust is like wood rot in boats, the more you dig the more you find.
      Unless that truck was grandpa's with some sentimental value etc I'D PUNT/REGROUP and start over with something with a more sound body and frame. Mech repairs are cheap-n-easy compared to body and structural repairs.
      If you and your boy have no pride guess you could redneck a wood flatbed on a half ton.
      G'luck.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Con-man 78 J10
        230 Tornado
        • Jul 25, 2015

Thanks for the info

I'm actually located in Florida. But got the truck from North Carolina.
        Kind of scary what you guys are saying. But you may be right.
        Looking back, I should have gotten an old Chevy or dodge, at least they have the LMC truck catalogs.
        Crap, guess I have a decision to make.
        Any other feedback?

Comment

• serehill
          Gone,Never Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2009

Well

I've been sitting here in the wings kind of watching with your issues & wanting to say welcome to the club. All I can tell you is anyone can own Dodge Ford or Chevy. I love the What the H Is that look people give mine. It's worth every headache I have with them. Get r Dun & Have some fun . Anyone can own a big 3.

Good luck with your build don't get disgruntled the uniqueness (new word) pays off.

Last edited by serehill; 07-27-2015, 08:58 PM.

80 Cherokee
          360 ci 727 with
          Comp cams 270 h
          NP208
          Edlebrock performer intake
          Holley 4180
          Msd total multi spark.
          4" rusty's springs
          Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Con-man 78 J10
            230 Tornado
            • Jul 25, 2015

Punting the project

Decided to sell this project. It's just outside of my capabilities.
            If there is any intrest, the truck is located in Vero Beach Fl.
            Has extra hood, grill, 4 speed trans and engine block.
            For some reason, I can't post pictures. Send me an email and I will get you some pics.
            Just looking to recover most of my money.
            Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X