International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Gear Head

How my Project Wagon became my Daily Driver

Why in the world would someone start using his not quite sure if it is dependable 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer as a daily driver. Mind you a daily driver in the traffic compromised and congested sprawl of Los Angeles. Along with what are probably the highest gas prices in the history of gas in California. As of today regular unleaded is 3.49 a gallon. Well I will tell ya. My Daily driver was a 1997 Lexus ES300. Last week my gf was driving to work in my car and was rear-ended waiting on the off-ramp. The lady that hit her claims she just didnt see her and her brakes failed. Nevertheless,she was hit a what is estimated at about 50 or so mph. My girlfriend is alright minus ca mild concusion and whiplash. Lots of bumps and bruises and the general freakout one would have being slammed into. She had second Dr's visit yesterday and is recovering well. Far as my Lexus is concerned it was commented on by the Highway patrol officer that the car did a great job absorbing the impact. That said my poor car is thrashed. The rear-end is smashed most impact is on the left through the quarter panel to the rear door jam. underneath seems to be buckled, axle busted and the exhaust is bent muffler destroyed. Bumper destroyed,rear tail lenses destroyed,trunk bent,and lastly the driver seat is broken. Other than that it starts just fine. Had it moved from the body shop the tow truck driver chose himself and dropped it off. They gave an estimate just under 5k to repair it. It just doesnt look repairable to me. So it is now in a highly recommended body shop awaiting the adjuster.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:21 PM
FSJ Maniac

at least she wasn't seriously hurt....
see ya on the freeways bro!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Master Mechanic

The GW is my vehicle of choice when I drive through L.A. It's a good vehicle in traffic.

That estimate seems low as it took over 3K to repair my wife's Maxima this year and that was just for the bumper, trunk lid, and all the small associated stuff. No quarter panel or frame damage.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Glad the gf recovered.
Hope the lawyers/insurance companies pay you enough for competent repairs but you prolly won't know that until the end of the year...

BTW--An old jeep looks much cooler than a lexus anyway...especially on the 405 .

Brent

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride."
Old 05-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Shade Tree Shaman

you should be able to rent a car and charge it to the ladies ins co. I would look into that. Thats what I did when one of my BMWs was rear ended.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

If she "just didn't see her", then what did "my brakes failed" add to her excuse? I bet her story has changed several times since then. It always works that way in this town.

I had some gal rear end my car (long ago) and her excuse was that "it's not my fault, my brakes didn't work". Weird huh?

Good luck with it all.
\'84 J10 Pioneer -- Edelbrock headers, Intake. MSD 8778 Ignition. MC 4-bl carb. 1970 "319" 51-CC heads. Comp cam. 401/727 B&M truck-shifter (floor), 3.73:1 gears. 31\"x12.5\"x15 ProComp A/T tires on M/T Classic II 15x10 wheels. Rear swaybar. Bucket seat conversion & redone interior. Interior roll bar and 4-point harnesses.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Grease Monkey

yeah, brakes don't work too well when you step on the gas instead of the brakes. She might genuinely remember stepping on the brakes, but that doesn't mean she actually did. The brain does a pretty good job filling in the blanks. I do love the "I didn't see her" excuse. There's a huge line of cars and somehow she just managed to not see the one at the end. Right...

Just remember the insurance co. will lowball you on anything and everything and you don't have to take that crap. Make sure your gf gets checked out by multiple doctors just to be safe. You can buy another car, but she can't buy another body.
http://gfsj.org
Old 05-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Gear Head

Thanks all for your kind thoughts and well wishes for my girlfriend I will pass it on to her.

Yes,I can tell already it's going to be a bit of a battle to get this matter settled. One tidbit I mistakenly left out in the original post is the woman that hit her has no insurance. So if we get a rental car it is on my pocket. Insurance company said they'd waive my deductible in light of the fact the woman had no insurance and I have un-insured motorist coverage. Yesrterday I had my car moved from the bodyshop where the tow truck guy dropped it off. Of course they tried to just make me let them repair the car. The new body shop seems to be better but unfortunately so far not much better in attitude. The car is obviously totaled but everone seems to think its repairable but me so far. So I asked for another adjuster to out,we will see. The first body shops estimate was around $5000 the new one on just eyeballing it says around $7000.00