International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 AM
Dragin Az

WOW, I'd almost be afraid to drive that work of art.
I have a pic request, while the seats are out, can we get a full pic of the dash, say, from the cargo area?

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 12-03-2018, 07:51 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaber
WOW, I'd almost be afraid to drive that work of art.
I have a pic request, while the seats are out, can we get a full pic of the dash, say, from the cargo area?

I can do that Jeff. But I have a steering column issue and the glove box door and NOS clock is not in yet. If you can wait just a bit I will post one up soon.
Things are still moving along on Sadie, but I am juggling chainsaws with several other things I am trying to get ahead of. Of course everything needs work around here. I am in my element but time is sure not on my side...

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the folks that have been helping me make the clear shift indicators. Their machine has been destroying my material and producing garbage. So hopefully we will find out what is happening and I can come home with some more indicators to keep passing on to other jeepers that need one.

It is stuff like that that takes a whole day to accomplish. So hang tight and I will take a good photo soon.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 12-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Dragin Az

No rush, just wanted the thought out there before I forgot it. Thanks Al.

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 12-05-2018, 09:53 AM
230 Tornado

Wow... my dad and I recently finished rebuilding the engine on a 77 wag so I found this site. I just spent 4 days going through this thread and I must say that it is amazing. Awesome job, I can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:38 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower5266
Wow... my dad and I recently finished rebuilding the engine on a 77 wag so I found this site. I just spent 4 days going through this thread and I must say that it is amazing. Awesome job, I can't wait to see the finished product.

That goes for me to.

Be sure to read up on the motor oil thread I started. Our older engines have a different lubrication requirement for cams and other high pressure parts to last than newer engines do. Just select an oil that has 1200 PPM of ZDDP and you will be fine. I am currently switching all my older engines to Valvoline VR1. Thanks for the post.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 PM
232 I6

So I just read all 87 pages of this thread. Thank you for sharing and documenting it all. Reading all this inspired me to tackle my own body work.

I do have one question though, what made the windshield so tough to install? I assume the old string around the gasket method is what's used with these, am I wrong? Are they glued in as well?
Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney77
So I just read all 87 pages of this thread. Thank you for sharing and documenting it all. Reading all this inspired me to tackle my own body work.

I do have one question though, what made the windshield so tough to install? I assume the old string around the gasket method is what's used with these, am I wrong? Are they glued in as well?

Hey no sweat... And thanks...
I was just talking with my friend Bill who owns sadie and he said you had written. On your own body work, go for it. For welding in new stuff cool is good. Keep the welds cool by using air and tiny tack's that keep heat down. Heat shrinks. You can stretch metal by doing "on Dolly" strikes with a hammer. Use straight edges, contour gauges or even a cardboard template to work to. Your patch panel should never touch the parent metal. So hours of fitting and trimming is OK. If it touches it will cause a buckle when it gets welded up. If my patch is touching and it did not used to, I run a mini sawzall down the gap to make it not touch again. There is a lot to say on this. You tube has a lot of skilled folks.

If doing dent repairs, research and read up on the "fairmount method"
On the dent, first in last out. So most people including myself usually go for the deepest part of a dent. It is a natural desire to go after that because it is ugly. But using the fairmount method you look at the dent, see where the contact was, the dent it made and the surrounding wrinkles or deflections that resulted from that impact site. You will start on the distant stuff first. Eventually working your way to the worst part of the dent last. First in last out. It makes a TON of less work later to do this, metal has a memory and wants to go back where it was. You just have to nudge it a bit.

The windshield was tough. The glass guy was sweating like crazy when he was done. LOTS of pushing, pulling, working the gasket to the correct side, no strings used at all. He did use mineral spirits as a lube and said it was the best stuff for glass installs. He used a squeeze bottle with a pointed tip to apply it. It makes it slippery, evaporates quick, and leaves a sticky tack on the gasket. He put urethane sealant in the groove that went on the body seam. After the glass was in he ran a bead down deep in the glass side of the seal. I watched him for about 15-20 minutes thinking I was going to learn and do it myself. Then changed my mind as it was harder than I imagined. Those two post suction cups he had with thumb pumps were the shiz. It gave him something to push against. I swore he was going to break it. He did not and I am pretty sure I would have.
It is good to know your limits and I could see mine there with the glass.
Sorry so wordy, I have the gift of gab.... And caffeine induced rambling.

I will be back on Sadie this week. It has been crazy here and I got a lot of unrelated stuff done. Sold a snowmobile, sold my cosmichrome plating system, built some walls and wired them in the house. And took a boat motor apart and it got hauled to the engine builder that did Sadies buick 350. That$ gonna hurt. And changed the motor oil in darn near everything that runs here. Time to get something done on Sadie....
No snow and 8 degrees the other morn. We had 2 feet this time last year.
The deer are as fuzzy as ever. I believe they know it is coming and could be a good one.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 12-10-2018, 08:52 AM
232 I6

Thanks for that info.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:44 AM
304 AMC

So I have figured out why the steering shaft does not stick out far enough at the wheel. I ended up having to remove it despite trying to avoid doing so. I fixed the wobbly column shifter barrel and got all the top end parts on securely like they should be. I again had to use an extra column to see what was wrong.

The crown boot replacement does not fit FSJ's at all. It might fit other jeeps but it does not fit these bigger rigs and allow the shaft to be placed where it should.
The Crown boot is roughly 2+ times taller than a stock boot.

This is fully compressed and way to tight. Don't buy one of these for your repair!

Plus it was made for a shaft with flats machined into it. I had to carve out the rubber casting to get it on a round shaft.. I wondered about this when I put it in. Sure enough it is not going to work.

So after some late night searching I was convinced I would find a better boot. I did. Inline tube sells a much shorter boot with a metal washer cast in.
I ordered one and it was then (of course...) I found that a 61-64 chevy impala has what appears to be a perfect match. Or even shorter with the spring even. So I ended up ordering that one also. So I am waiting for them to arrive so I can put this back together and put it in for the last time. I will post up part numbers and pictures when I have more to work with. But for now do not buy the crown or Omix ada boot. It won't work on a FSJ.

Next is why the low brake pedal after a good bench and power bleed?
I will get that fixed too. I hate reworks....
More soon...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 12-15-2018, 12:21 AM
304 AMC

Still waiting on steering coupling boots to show.
While wandering around the internet I found the correct turn signal switch WITH the correct hazard switch at Just Jeepsters page 2 of electrical. This is the right part for early steering columns. Correct wire colors, terminals and all.

https://www.justjeepsters.com/produc...ignal-assembly

I started on the brakes and why the low pedal. I apparently forgot to adjust out the drivers front star adjuster and after about 8 - 10 turns the rotating drum just starts to touch the shoes. Well duh....I redid all the other wheels and the pedal feels way better. I can't really tell till the column is back in and engine running since the column clamps the mount and brake pedal bracket. If it is still a bit low I will carefully remove the master cylinder enough to check the power brake booster push rod depth for just touching the cup in the master cylinder bore. I know I set it up when it went in. Then possibly one more power bleed. Hopefully the pedal will be high and firm.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 12-18-2018, 07:25 PM
304 AMC

The replacement steering shaft boots showed up finally. As I mentioned the crown boot is not a good part for FSJ's. It just does not allow enough room.

The boot that works best is from a 1961-64 Chevy impala. I am pretty convinced that it is exactly what Jeep used on the shafts. The other 70 column here has the little spring on it just like the new Chevy one.

I also had a boot from inline tube shipped here. While it will probably work I did not like the cupped design as it would let moisture drip down and inside the cup.

Here they are. Left to right, Crown, Chevy, and inline tube. Note the way thicker flange the retaining ring holds in on the inline tube one. The Chevy one is just perfect.

Installed and it left me plenty of room for adjusting the steering shaft in the column for optimal clearance on the steering wheel to column. Getting it all back in was a bear. I needed a second set of hands. To get the two shafts and the cup lined up. I had to rest the steering column on a padded milk crate in the cab and pull the shaft forward to engage the slip joint cup them carefully slide the column in place. I fought it for a really long time till I did the milk crate thing.

And here is one on the 71 J truck outside. I am pretty confident it is the very same part. Good find there!!

So again the right boot is a 1961-64 Chevy impala. About 13 bucks from I-5 Classic Chevy in Valencia California.

So I solved one of two problems. The steering wheel goes on great now and I have plenty of threads for the nut. But I still have a lot of wobble in the shift collar. The collar the shift arm goes in. I will be honest, this is kicking me in the pants. I have a 70 J truck column in the shop with me. It has next to no wobble. So far as I can tell they are both assembled the same. But something is wrong. I will keep on it tomorrow. This kind of issue burns a lot of time up. I will figure it out....

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 12-18-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:31 PM
230 Tornado

Hello Al,
Did you ever find door weather stripping or have you gone ahead and installed cab mount.
I have a 65 Glad the is in need.I'd like to install door mount but the double V
like this kinda - vV is impossible to find.
Also thanks for the shaft boot idea.I to used the longer crown one.It's super tight and I don't really like the way it looks.I rebuilt my entire column earlier this year.
AMC 327,3speed column shift.
Cheers Wade
Old 12-21-2018, 12:10 PM
304 AMC

Hi Wade,

No the door seals are waiting for me to solve. I am pretty sure it is a standard GM profile and available to glue on. Jeep sure used a lot of GM and even ford stuff. The hard part will be the random foam filller pieces that need to get glued on that support the seal and bring it out to a surface it is supposed to seal against. I saved the old brittle pieces. I am going to try and duplicate them.
The steering boot I am glad I found. I am just about positive that Chevy boot was what they used. It does allow room to adjust. It looks exactly like what is in the parts manual and what is on the trucks outside.
And I got tired of messing with Sadies steering column. It was sticking in the drive position and the shifter collar is still loose. I tested the 70 J truck column and found it to be flawless. Just dirty and tan in color. Yesterday I carefully took it apart and layed it out in order. I got everything painted but ended up with fish eyes in the upper tube where it shows above the dash. So a quick resand and major degrease and I will shoot more chassis black on it.
I also broke down and ordered the new turn signal with hazard switch assembly from just Jeepsters. I want to verify it does fit since I am recommending it and it also has a bright crisp red hazard switch that is new. The old one is sun faded, looks bad and has mini surface cracks. It was killing me to use it on such a fresh looking column.
I will take Sadies column apart later and do a post mortem to see why the issues. I need that column for the 70 J3000 to try and save it.

I also ordered a flanged thermoplastic bushing (6 each for mistakes or success) to attempt to machine down to fit the cracked bushing in the column I am working on. Sadies is good and I can swap it in, but I needed a challenge I guess.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 12-27-2018, 03:31 PM
304 AMC

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. I just logged into photobucket to post up this mornings work and got a pop up poll. It said How likely are you to recommend photobucket to a friend. 1 being no way, 10 being yes. I submitted a 2 and then got hit with a prompt of why. Well I explained the recent stunt demanding money for what was a free hosting service was really a bad move. That they destroyed literally thousands of helpful threads by blocking the pictures removing helpful knowledge people needed. I clicked submit after adding "YOU ASKED and there you go. So we will see how long my account works.

So as a quick recap, I was having issues with Sadies original column and needed to remove it again for a total tear down to see if I had put something together wrong. Figuring I mays well just replace it and make sure. I have burned enough time on it and it is starting to show the handling in the paint.
I repainted the tan 70 J3000 column and it is waiting to go in. Last night when my wife and I returned I found the 6 flanged bushings waiting for me. Perfect! This morning I started in on making a replacement part for the column. The original was broken in two pieces.

I turned down a metal shaft to have a semi snug slit fit to be able to turn down the plastic. I put some electrical tape on to help hold it. This would require very slow light cuts. Both walls of the new part need to be .030 to .040 max. .035 would be perfect but I favored the thicker side in case the old part was worn down.

The uncut flanged bearing and the old broken part.

It is really thick but the ID and the flange width is right on. It took a couple hours looking at Grainger, McMaster Carr, and several other places. I found this part at MSC industrial.

Turning slow with lots of stops to clear wads of plastic shavings. They could break the flange since that is where I started.

All done. Time for a test fit.

And it is literally perfect. Very little slop. The shift collar rotates on a very consistent axis. If it gets tight when I bolt the collars together, I will need to thin down the flange even more. I am hoping it is good to go.

The old one is the same height. I need a better light above the lathe. It looks like I was a bit shy on my last cut. I did not want to take a chance of cutting into the now very thin flange.

The bushing in the opposite part.

How it fits into the upper collar. It was just small enough at 1.440 While it pressed in without force, it could have been .005 or .008 thinner.

I hope this material is durable and will not break later. It feels strong. I bought 6 total for making more if it worked. I guess it did.

The part number to the left of the arrow.

I spent a fair amount of time reading everyone elses builds on Christmas. What a great way to spend the day...

More soon...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 12-27-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:54 PM
304 AMC

I finally finished a major home remodeling project. I figured 3 weeks. Well it took 6 weeks down to the last detail finished last night. Story of my building life.
I got the parts from just jeepsters. The turn signal and hazard harness is perfect. It was about 4 plus inches shorter in length than the original. That is actually great because I had a long plug pigtail that would have been better if it were shorter. So the new part is great. Here it is. The old hazard switch has all 6 terminals on one side. This new switch has three on top, three on the bottom. It is not an issue just different. The wires are just a tad smaller in diameter so they will feed into the wire tunnel easier. I would call this a score.

And another bonus. The stock wagoneer battery hold down was rotten and rusty. I was going to make another, but this one from Just Jeepsters is an exact match. I appreciate being able to find stuff verses making it.

And I solved the multiple key issue. I found new locks and keys on ebay. I will need to trim the door lock square shank to the correct length. They are new and operate with a crisp and positive function. No slop or backlash.
New IGN, glove box door, and front doors. I hope to have enough lock cylinder parts now to intermix the tumblers for the rear gate window switch to also match the door keys. Or the IGN key. I just don't want 8 keys for one rig.

I also just finished repainting the steering column housing. I had easily over a hundred fish eyes in the upper section right where you can see. Between the dash and shifter collar. I wiped it at least 4 times after sanding. Apparently that was not enough. I sanded it to bare metal and wiped and rewiped, sanded and rewiped. It looks good with some fresh black on it.
I also cleaned and painted the battery hold down parts. I found all the pieces in good shape just needing cleaning and paint. I will let everything cure for a couple days since it is so cold here, then remove Sadies original column and replace it with this one. I can do an examination for why it did not work smoothly later. I need it to work for the 70 J3000 outside.

I have made a couple more steering column bushings from the pieces I found. I had one that was a little thin on one cut, so I tried to break it for a strength test. I was not able to break it. I bent it, folded it, twisted it and no breaks or fractures. That made me pretty happy. They are self lubricating and even turned down to Jeep OEM spec's still plenty strong for hopefully a good long service lift. I am comfortable selling them now. Matt in NY, your part leaves tomorrow.

I am also having a large batch of shift indicators made. For 6 weeks now I have been trying. The place where they get made was having issues. A whole batch got ruined and I need more. So hopefully soon I will have some nice new ones.

Happy new year. It is 2019 already.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 01-03-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:58 PM
327 Rambler

How deep is the snow?

We are in Arizona--4 inches and 12 degrees last couple of nights.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:08 PM
304 AMC

Only about 1 foot of crusty ice snow that has been rained on and compacted.
Everything froze and just walking to the car is nuts. The wife and I have boot chains and it is still slick as heck. We are shy by a couple feet and by now we should have about 3 feet on the ground. We need it for keeping forest fires down later. It was about 40 today. I suspect we will get a lot of snow this and next month. I sure hope so anyway. Low for the winter was 12 degrees so far. That was weeks ago. It is 38 now. One big wind storm and power outage has stopped in for a visit so far. Pretty much some crazy warm weather here. Where are my Bermuda shorts?

Arizona sounds nice...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 01-18-2019, 08:01 PM
304 AMC

It has been so long I almost forgot how to post. I have been working on the steering column when I can. It is in and works just great. I was holding out posting until I had the dash all done. Not a thing left to do to it. So I could take the full view picture Jaber requested. But I am not there yet. All I have left is to secure the flashers, put a kill switch in the NOS clock power lead, install the glove box and door then clock, the speaker and antenna. That is it. I have all the gauges wired for back lighting at night tied into the circuit that lights up the shift indicator and heater control lighting.

When I took the 70 J3000 column apart then cleaned all the grease off I found this on the shifter arm. Weird because this piece is very thick and see's no strain that is worth mentioning. Just the push pull of the TH400 shifter. I don't know why it cracked, but I ground it open and TIG welded it up. One side was all the way through and the other was just about through. Soon to break off and make a no shift situation. Anyway, it is fixed and dressed back to it's original shaped.

The two columns side by side. Covered in optional fingerprints. Sadies column was starting to show all the repeated disassembly despite efforts to not scratch it.. Notice the bright red hazard knob. That is the new Jeepster turn sig and hazard harness from partsdude4x4.com Here the new column is ready to put in.

This is how much shorter the jeepster wiring harness is. It actually fits better since I needed to hide all that extra wiring under the dash. The shorter one fit just perfectly. The three wires there are the hazard flasher, turn signal flasher, and the white wire with the red stripe is the shift indicator light bulb.

I saved my best horn button emblem and clear lens. I had several but just about everything has flaws. I polished the lens for quite a while. I am super pleased with it all.

Some extra views for Bill. He is going to be driving this rig soon.

No cracks and much clearer than it appears.

I have been brainstorming door panels. My cousin details large steel building blueprints. He makes the blueprints readable for both man and machine so the building and it's parts make sense as one assembly. He in short has a very high end computer program that can help me. He is going to help me make a file to cut door panel boards with a laser cutter machine. I spent 15 hours drawing up the same thing in Fusion 360 and lost all of it. It was frustrating. He can do it in a fraction of the time with my accurate measurements. So I am working on it. I am also working on patterning the vinyl with the ribs and embossing to try and duplicate the original with something that is at least close. I have Sadies basic door panel then my X model panels. The big thing is exact repeatable boards with all the holes in the right spots. With a stack of those I can begin experimenting. I have sourced all the materials to make door panels.
I spent three days organizing my new mini shop for this very type of work. The loft is now right full of organized Jeep parts. All of it now out of my way and there for the picking assorted by area of vehicle. Interior, exterior, emblems and lenses, engine bay, doors, tailgate, electrical, etc I have wanted to do this for years and years. I found stuff I had forgotten about. I think I might be a hoarder.

More soon

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 01-22-2019, 12:37 AM
304 AMC

Almost done with the rear wiring. Same with the interior. The tailgate is all hooked up. But I need to make the harness from each tail light and reverse light to connect to the frame harness. I had to order some tinned wire in the right gauge. The wire I had left was 16 GA and I want 14 GA. Plus a micro toggle for the clock. I had a used one and it was not good enough to be reliable. The radio antenna is in and done but not with out modification with a dremel.

It looks like I am going to acquire two 1971 J4800 Camper specials. 8000 GVW Both with full float 8 lug dana 60's in back. One has a Buick 350 with an auto and AC. It's Vintage gold and white. The other has a AMC 360 with a T-18 and AC. It is white. The 360 truck is rusty as heck and has a literally perfect black interior including door panels. Even the dash pad. I was not looking for them. They found me....If all goes well I will have them in a week or two.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 01-22-2019, 09:53 AM
350 Buick

more nice photos
of more nice work

we thank you for the pics.

dave in nc
1988 grand wagoneer