International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 10-22-2012, 01:31 AM

Unhappy Repair of GW wiper linkage

HELP!!!! This is my first JEEP!

I have a 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 5.9 with AC that the wipers quit on. The wiper motor is good and works easily. I have found that the linkage from the wiper motor to the right (passenger side) came loose when the stud pulled out of the cross linkage near the right wiper arm. I have already removed the cluster, radio, heater/AC controls, plus some skin off both hands and I can see the hole where the stud came out. I read the articles about windshield wiper problems but have some questions as follows:

1. How do I remove the large painted outside special nuts (With 4 slots) that hold the wiper pivots to the body so that I can push them inside the car with the cross linkage still attached? I can't see any way to disconnect them from inside other than that. Is that the correct method?
2. I assume that a good welder can simply weld the stud back in place when the linkage is out or do you need to buy a new linkage assembly?
3. Before they quit, the wiper on the drivers side was hitting the pillar HARD. Is that adjusted only by repositioning the wipers on the outside pivot?
4. I haven't lowered the AC yet. Is that an absolute necessity? I have already removed the left side lower AC duct but can't see how the defroster ducts come out. Any pictures would be great.

Thanks, Bernard
Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Mine was under the cowl in front of the hood?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Hack-Priss

The assembly is one piece. The nuts require a spanner wrench, but can be loosened with a screw driver, and some care, they are brass, so they will scuff, but will clean up rather easily.

You will need to find the part at a parts yard or from a member here, they do not fix well.

Hope this helps...

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

Yep a screw driver and a hammer, be sure to protect the paint...BTW. You are gonna be hating life trying to pull out the linkage, its a whole lotta no fun

I have never heard of one breaking like this especially where you live, (lack of use). You better closely look at the problem and maybe you can get one from someone parting out a rig

All that being said, i did buy a used one off of evil bay. For future use

Trip

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 AM

2 people is the easy way to do the linkage. I just did mine on the eagle and using a string to pull them in place was easiest.