International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Street & Performance

Old 11-04-2018, 09:11 PM
350 Buick

Lowering the rear?

I want to lower the back of the truck an inch or two (the front is already channeled about three inches. Bags are not an option. What about an axle-over in conjunction with a mild lift spring? I'm going for tire stagger like the illustration I posted (green truck) in the "photo" section, and want the tire tucked under the fender a bit. Maybe I could raise the forward attach point for the spring with some weld-in boxing.... Other ideas, comments? Thanks
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Last edited by Towtruck : 11-06-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

My plan was always to swap the axle over the top of the springs. But that's a big drop. Then you can either use lift springs or do a shackle flip to raise it back up. Being spring under also opens up a lot of options for slapper bars and cal-trac type bars.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321
Old 11-12-2018, 03:09 PM
350 Buick

Thanks. Hadn't thought of a shackle flip in conjunction with axle over...seems like it would be the least expensive option.
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:34 PM
350 Buick

Just did some measurements. Only about 6" between top of spring pack and the frame hoop. An axle-over cuts that to 3" and gives a 5" drop. Don't believe I can make it work with shackles making up the difference (for a 2" total drop) unless I relocate the rear spring shackle. Lift springs would work, but I worry about changing the lateral stiffness of the rear suspension since I still want to tow a car trailer on occasion. So, I think relocating (raising) the forward spring attach point on the frame and lengthening the rear shackles might be the easiest and best for stability/handling.

Now, what about the Crown Vic front suspension....

Last edited by Towtruck : 11-12-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM
out of order

Yep, the frames on these aren't very drop friendly!

I've debated the same in past, and quickly realized a whole frame swap while more work(obviously) is a better route.

The front rails have a goofy angle so CV would require more work than all easy peasy swaps where it just bolts up.

Ghinmi used a C10 frame IIRC, unfortunately in SoCal they fetch more than I want to pay.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 PM
350 Buick

Thanks. I can get what I'm after using the Jeep frame. Not wanting a four corner slam.

Next issue is converting to 5 lug hubs to get a better wheel selection. Thinking about a straight/drop axle at the front, so no problem there. Not sure about the rear. Is it easier/better to have new 5 lug shafts made for the AMC20 or swap in another axle that fits on the wide track spring spacing? (which one?)
Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towtruck
Don't believe I can make it work with shackles making up the difference (for a 2" total drop) unless I relocate the rear spring shackle. ..
Doing a shackle flip and lowering the hanger might affect the pinion angle more than you would want. The result might be excessive vibration.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:49 AM
350 Buick

Yes. With the bed off for media blasting I looked carefully at possibilities. Best option would be to raise both forward and rear spring hangars an equal amount. Looks fairly simple to execute....but not in the cards just yet as I need to finish the repaint project.

DSCN1488 by Rufus, on Flickr

Last edited by Towtruck : 03-26-2019 at 05:33 AM.