International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-26-2019, 02:08 PM
258 I6

Rain Shield Weatherstrip Replacement

I know I asked this question before, and someone sent me a link to some really good weatherstrip, but I seem to have lost it. My apologies for asking again. My rain shield weatherstripping is shot. It mounts to the very front of the front doors, in between the fender and door, on the door itself. There appears to be one screw at the top, then those plastic push pins to help hold it down. BJ’s and TGW say they are in preproduction, but based on the terrible fit of TGW’s front window wing vent window seals, all four window wipers, and the replacement seals for the rear door small fixed window, I don’t hold out much hope for a good product if it is ever released. So, I need to find a good supplier of quality weatherstripping that can be mounted in place of these rain shields. I have water coming down where this rain shield sits, then puddles in the bottom front corner radii of the door opening, until it overflows into the cab. Does anyone know of a high quality weatherstripping that I can buy in a roll, that should be an acceptable replacement? Thank you very much.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:55 AM
232 I6

Get this from Steele Rubber. Identical profile with double stick tape. Works great.
https://www.steelerubber.com/extrusion-dense-70-2818-60
1978 Jeep CJ-5 (sold)
1968 AM General M35 (Sold)
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 AM
258 I6

Thank you so much. I made sure to save your response in my personal email this time. Have a great week.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:03 AM
232 I6

Hey jim... if you buy some and don't use all 15 feet, i will gladly buy some from you.

Mike

MSD 6A
229 727 dana 44 axles
Old 04-29-2019, 12:03 PM
258 I6

Hi Mike,

I bought some. I’ll have to let you know. I am considering running two parallel lines down the front of the door where the rain shield goes, and some around the bottom perimeter of the door. Some good news though, the tech guy at the company said this stuff is used on some Indy cars and they are slowly expanding into the full size Jeep realm for preformed weatherstripping. I also learned that while their parts line up is somewhat currently limited, Fairchild Industries makes some of the weatherstripping for our FSJ’s, but they don’t sell directly to the public. Full Size Jeep Parts dot com does sell Fairchild Industries weatherstripping, as does a few other places like Rock Auto.