International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 02-17-2021, 09:24 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 WIDETRAC
Well Rob that's good news. I have holes in my floor and most gaskets need replaced. So once they are solid. The condensation should be eliminated. Or at least way less.

The stuff you installed on the under side of your roof. Is it just for sound or some sort of insulation also?

I noticed your passenger side floorboard/door/coffee cup pic shows a LOT of water ingress on the floor so figured that could be it. Check your kick panel vents too, lots of junk gets in there, and just soaks forever. I took off my fenders to blow it out better. There are some small areas a wand will fit in.

That 80mil Kilmat is more a sound deadener, but I'm sure it has some slight insulating properties too. I put it on just to rid myself of that tinny sound when faced with large areas of sheet metal.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
Old 02-17-2021, 06:21 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
I noticed your passenger side floorboard/door/coffee cup pic shows a LOT of water ingress on the floor so figured that could be it. Check your kick panel vents too, lots of junk gets in there, and just soaks forever. I took off my fenders to blow it out better. There are some small areas a wand will fit in.

That 80mil Kilmat is more a sound deadener, but I'm sure it has some slight insulating properties too. I put it on just to rid myself of that tinny sound when faced with large areas of sheet metal.

I have the kick panel vents removed, I did remove all of the debris after I pulled them. Water does come in the kick panel vent cut out's. I feel better that it's water coming causing it. I can reseal the jeep as I go. I need to get the floor pans in!!!! for a start. I do need to fix a small leak in the lower right corner on windshield gasket too.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

I haven't been on the forum since you picked her up. Came in to post up in the movies thread an old Perry Mason scene with a J truck.
You're really turned my decade of neglect and two more of run hard, put away damp, into something else.

The original trans was a T-176, had been gone through at least twice, once by me. Marginal box behind a 360, and wouldn't live a week behind the 401 I wanted to put in, hence the swap.
Check the bellcrank crossbar and pivots on the clutch. Had the extend linkage 3"with the bellhousing and trans swap.

IIRC the engine was an '84 wag, something around 80k on it. We didn't do anything major to it, but I remember the chips in the oil pump gears, so must have opened it some to check bearings and such.

Don't ask about the panel bond patch on the passenger floor, or the 3/4" hole under it. Rather embarrassing.

You brought her back from the grave, and I couldn't be happier. Great job

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Awesome post gold hammer! Not my truck but soooooo cool that you checked in like that. I wish the previous owner of my rig was as communicative.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 02-21-2021, 05:39 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhammer
I haven't been on the forum since you picked her up. Came in to post up in the movies thread an old Perry Mason scene with a J truck.
You're really turned my decade of neglect and two more of run hard, put away damp, into something else.

The original trans was a T-176, had been gone through at least twice, once by me. Marginal box behind a 360, and wouldn't live a week behind the 401 I wanted to put in, hence the swap.
Check the bellcrank crossbar and pivots on the clutch. Had the extend linkage 3"with the bellhousing and trans swap.

IIRC the engine was an '84 wag, something around 80k on it. We didn't do anything major to it, but I remember the chips in the oil pump gears, so must have opened it some to check bearings and such.

Don't ask about the panel bond patch on the passenger floor, or the 3/4" hole under it. Rather embarrassing.

You brought her back from the grave, and I couldn't be happier. Great job

Thanks goldhammer. It's good to see you on the board! It is an awesome Jeep.

I keep chopping away at it. I hope to get it a point to drive the 90 miles south and let you drive it again. I'll have to look for a 3/4" hole. I don't recall seeing it. That's good news about the motor. It did fire up really easy once I got the sniper hooked up.

I think I'm off 1 tooth on the distributor because I'm not able to see the balancer timing mark in the cover numbers. It hovers just below them! vacuum is at 19 inches. So I know its close. I'd like to verify the timing though.

If you find yourself in Portland It would be a pleasure to have you swing by and take a look at it in person.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:15 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

There was something about a 12 ga, that the safety got pushed off and the wife's '06 bolt handle got caught in to the trigger. You'll find it from under, up by the toe kick up.

I'm just happy to see some life back in her.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Old 02-21-2021, 10:25 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhammer
There was something about a 12 ga, that the safety got pushed off and the wife's '06 bolt handle got caught in to the trigger. You'll find it from under, up by the toe kick up.

I'm just happy to see some life back in her.

That's some cool history! Reminds me of a Hank Jr song.

After I read that I had to go and look for the hole. Yep. It's right there. I have seen it, because it's round I didn't think about it much.

Here is the pic.

She's a great Jeep, I feel lucky to be the one that got her. It's a perfect Jeep for me. I always wanted a factory 4 spd. This one just happened to get a major trans upgrade.

I kept my eye on the sale thread because it was in my home town.

I should remember this thing running around. There were more Jeeps in town in the late 70's - 80's.

My Dad had a 78 red/ white Widetrack S, and a white 66 Gladiator with a Cabover Camper. I know the Hurleys on Airport Rd had a tan/ brown 79 J-20.

Thanks again for that story and posting up on the board. Keep in touch. I want you to drive or at least ride in the Beast again.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:24 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

The tan/brown rig has been gone for the last few years.

We were headed out hunting and stopped at Circle K for coffee. She wiggled her rifle to undo her seatbelt...Ended the hunt early. A few ricochet pellets caught the fins in the radiator. Had to top off the coolant on the way home, pull the rad that day and get repaired the next day. Still haven't figured out how it didn't take out a big window at the store. Barely heard it go off.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:46 PM
304 AMC

Why did she have a loaded firearm in the vehicle while headed out hunting????

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:11 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

We got complacent...and it bit us. Never chambered a round after that to this day.

Every once in awhile, we manage to survive stupidity, in spite of ourselves.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:11 PM
304 AMC

I know that story. Not with a gun, fortunately, but with a router. Left it plugged in which I never did with power tools due to kids being around. Next day when I went to put it away I was pushing on the bit with my thumb to retract it below the shoe so it wouldn't get banged up and triggered it. Tip of my thumb looked like hamburger.

Weird thing is my thumbprint's still the same.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:57 PM
230 Tornado

Did that with a lawn mower. Working on it while running, I grabbed the bottom edge of the deck. Every time the blade came around my finger went blap, blap, blap. Still got the finger just a little shorter. Hamburger is a good description. Just another stupid mistake not paying attention.

77 SJ 401
72 Commando 304
07 Toyota Sienna
76 HD FLH
Old 02-24-2021, 01:38 PM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Holy tough stance, batman! Those rims and tires make your truck look TTTaaaallllll!!! I am not normally a billet rim fan but those look pretty cool! I have no opinion on the rims yet, but that is my favorite tire I have seen on your truck so far...
Ya know, I could live with those wheels and tires too. I have been running good ole white spokes since they were $20 each new.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 02-28-2021, 10:41 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Ya know, I could live with those wheels and tires too. I have been running good ole white spokes since they were $20 each new.

White spokes are so much harder to find these days. I still really like them.

Saturday I got some time to work on the Jeep. I was able to pull the distributor and move it a tooth. The sniper likes the timing way better now idles at 7-800 ish and is between 10 & 12 degrees.

I Think where it went wrong was when I set it up. I just set it up like a chevy #1 plug terminal pointing at #1 cylinder. (I forget #1 for AMC is front and center)
I was able to index the distributor like the sniper instructions call for. When it did fire for the first time it seemed fine.

I thought the sniper screen was wrong because when it got warm it was saying the timing was at 5 degrees. Oddly enough, it ran pretty good with the timing being off. But the starter always wanted to kick back on start up. I had to get a timing light to confirm the bad timing.

Then today I installed new 2.5" 6 degree shims and offset spring pads from WFO concepts. These allowed me to center the rear wheels properly and have a good pinion angle for the rear driveshaft. I need a set of their spring plates so my u bolts are at 90 degrees. My old shims were a very weak point. 1-1/2 wide at best and just toast. It's good piece of mind having WFO's pieces back there.

Next I started to remove the rear diff t-40 torx bolts with not much success. I have 2 torx bits and apparently I have twisted the tips of both slightly so I could only get a couple of bolts out. It was getting dark so I figured I would call it a night pick a couple more t-40's up this week.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:56 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

You'll find a fairly new r&p in there that was set up by the trans and axle guy from May trucking. Along with a lock rite. 3.31's.
Broke and replaced the left shaft once not long before I parked her.