• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbent78
    232 I6
    • Feb 22, 2002

Fuel Problem (kind of long)

Two weeks ago I put on a electric fuel pump and perfomer intake on the Wag. The fuel pump was working just fine and I could hear it turn on and pump up pressure then shut off. But yesterday just as I'm pulling into town I can hear the pump going and not shutting off like usuall. I look in mirror to see if there is a fuel trail behind me and there isnt. When I get home I pull the rear tires on the car ramp and shut the engine off,and then just turn on the fuel pump and it keeps going and I dont see any leaks anywhere. I shut it off crimp off the output fuel line to see if it will stop and still no luck fuel pump just keeps going. So I back the Jeep down off the ramp shut the engine off. For the heck of it I try 1 more time and this time it pumps up to pressure and shuts off. The only thing I could think it would be was some junk in the tank and plugging up the mesh filter..Any one else have any other ideas?

Other things I did check was taking off the fuel cap in case of a air lock, still no help.
    Ted<br />1976 Wagoneer <br />AMC 360 w/1406 Edelbrock <br />TH400 QT w/part time kit <br />Wood on the inside, none on the outside.
  • grand_wag_85
    Murphy's Law Poster Child
    • Dec 03, 2003

I just went over my whole fuel system this week& I don't have an electrical pump so I don't know a heck of a lot about them.

It might be crossed leads or something like that.

How hard was it to install?
    You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
    '88 GW
    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Don S
      • Feb 06, 2002

tbent78;

... Look and see if you have a fuel filter with three nipples. Two are the same size for in and out and the third is smaller and is the outlet for the fuel return line. My return fuel line lets the fuel pump run full time.

... If you are still using the mechanical fuel pump in the fuel system check the engine oil for the smell of gasoline.

Have a good one and CUL.. Don S..
      Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
      It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
      ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• tbent78
        232 I6
        • Feb 22, 2002

Don, Yes for now I have the mechanical pump,but no fuel in the oil. I bought another fuel tank I was looking at this one some more and there is quit a bit of rust on the back. So I bet rust or other junk on the inside has plugged the screen.
        Ted<br />1976 Wagoneer <br />AMC 360 w/1406 Edelbrock <br />TH400 QT w/part time kit <br />Wood on the inside, none on the outside.

Comment

• carrotman
          327 Rambler
          • Oct 21, 2003

I don't think the electric fuel pump should shut off unless you turn the engine off. Plus, I don't think you should be running both electric and mechanical pump. I run a Carter electric fuel pump on my 76, but I bypassed the mechanical pump. It runs when I turn the ignition switch to on.
          76 Chief, T18, 3.54, HEI, Carter AFB.

Comment

• arter
            327 Rambler
            • Jan 07, 2001

Ditto carrotman. Have a Holley electric and it runs all the time, loud too. Have a block off plate where the mech pump was. Like Don S asked, do you have the fuel filter with the 1/4" return line? What elec fuel pump are you running? Do you have a pressure regulator?
            M715NT; TBI 401, 400, 1339, 44's, 4.10's, ARB's, 35's, wag frame

Comment

• Don S
              • Feb 06, 2002

tbent78;

... I did the following without dropping the tank..

Bypass the Full Size Jeep fuel tank filter-sock.
              Add a low level fuel pickup to a steel tank
              to assist fuel delivery by an electric pump

1. Make sure the tank is empty! The tanks are made of metal that is somewhat spark resistant but use care not to ignite fumes. Gasoline VAPOR is the element that explodes then sends the remaining liquid all over the place.
              2. Jack left rear of the Wagoneer, set in jack-stands for your safety and remove right rear wheel.
              3. Sand a large exposed spot on the frame side of the fuel tank close to the back and just about two inches below the seam with 180 grit wet or dry and clean with alcohol.
              4. Find a clean sharp round steel punch to hammer a hole barely large enough for a large fuel line.
              5. Pre-bend a metal fuel line so it can go in the hole and to the bottom of the tank and mark the line where it exits the hole in the tank. It would be a good idea to put a horizontal 90degree bend (toward the rear) in the line at the point that it exits the tank. Keep the exit part of the line rather short. The inside part of the line should go the middle of the low flat area of the tank and touch the bottom. Cut the inside end at an angle so it will not get plugged up when touching the bottom.
              6. Using JBWeld 15hour epoxy, glue a one and a half-inch diameter OD metal washer to the fuel line at the proper angle to hold the line correctly in the tank. Allow the epoxy to cure before gluing onto the tank ! Be sure to sand and clean all areas to be epoxied.
              7. Spread JBWeld 15hour epoxy on the area of the hole in the tank and on the tank side of the washer. Slide the line into the tank. Cut a two and a half-inch diameter washer-like patch of chop-strand fiberglass mat. Slide the patch over the line and washer then saturate the glass with the JBWeld 15hour epoxy. Re-check the alignment and allow to epoxy cure.
              8. Mount a Holley ‘red top’ electric fuel pump to the outside frame under the rear passenger door (if you don’t have the rear door get a torch J/K) with rubber insulated bolts to reduce noise. Run a filter and a hose to the new fuel pickup line. Make sure there is no strain on the new fuel pickup line. Run a delivery line forward along the frame and up to the top of the fender well. From the top of the fender well run the line straight across to the three way filter. The filter should be mounted very close to the carburetor with the return line nipple in the high position.
              9. Install a switch and run a wire to the fuel pump and a ground wire to the frame. A hidden switch can be used as a hidden theft deterrent. Install a rollover shutoff switch in wire to the pump.
              10. Remove stock diaphragm pump and install covering cap. Plug old fuel line. Carry spare pump and tools needed for a quick change-out.
              … This fuel tank modification has survived many Colorado mountain trails for 14 + years and still going. Between the fuel pump and tank a multi-fuel line switch can be installed allowing for other fuel tanks.

have a good one and CUL.. Don S..
              Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
              It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
              ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

Working...
              X