• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blazin71
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 25, 2006

Newbe 74 J20 SOA question

Hello All,

Quick question. I just bought a 74 J20 w/ 401/TH400/QT. Never buy a truck at night from someone who says "rust? never seen any". Must not have looked under the carpet. Fred Flintstone use to drive the truck.

Any case - What is the meaning of a "post mount" on the D60 rear? Being a Chevy man by daylight I have not heard of this type of mount. I have not spent any time under the truck yet since I found the rust. Too much to deal with. Any one know a good place for floor pans?

Thank you for all your wisdom. I really like driving the Jeep.

Cheers,
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

It'll be pretty obvious tomorrow in the daylight. The springs hang from posts on the side of the frame rather than mounted directly under the frame. So far as I know no one makes a lift kit yet for the post mount era. BJ's Offroad was working on one for the early 70's Wags but don't think they were doing a truck kit or how far along they got.
    For floor pans do a search here and maybe the for sale section. Gary(GEMOBX/77/401) I think is still making them for us.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

There's your contact info for Gary the floor pan wizard, I've installed them, it's a pretty well thought out deal.
      The floor pan rust is very common due to a well designed cowl drainage setup and 30+ years of junk inside there.

-joe nailed the post mount, you will not miss it in the daylight.
      Check the Off-Road section, there are a few reasonably recent threads involving the rear post mount trucks and also a company called Hell Creek that is getting springs into production.

I'm a bit confused about your topic title "Newbe 74 J20 SOA question", mainly because I don't see any question about SOA (I could have missed it).
      Your rear setup is stock SOA (all were) the front on a '74 will be SUA on hangers not posts IIRC, unless it's a late '73 titled as a '74, or someone did something to it.
      If it is on posts and SOA up front that's a whole different ballgame than aftermarket SOA setups, but there is a lot of good info on here relating to that also.
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

Working...
      X