International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-03-2020, 11:02 PM
230 Tornado

Exhaust Manifold Help Please

I replaced pass. side exhaust manifold with new one from TeamGrandWagoneer. Problem is that the outlet does not line up with the exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipe is offset from the manifold about a hole diameter toward the engine. I was thinking of putting a ratchet strap around the exhaust pipe and the frame and pulling it over enough to line up the holes for the studs. Anybody else had this problem and how did you fix it? Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:59 AM
out of order

You can try a few things...
Loosen up the manifold and the y-pipe @ both attachment point to manifolds.
Then see if you can get the pipe reattached.

If that doesn't work, you may need to get medieval on it with a torch heating the pipe up enough to bend it.

Being decades-old possible the y-pipe is bent/tweaked.
There is a LOT of movement possible with everything loose though and should be enough to get everything attached.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:12 AM
230 Tornado

Thanks for replying, Tony. Do you think a mapgas torch would get the pipe hot enough to bend. That's all I've got. The exhaust pipe does seem very close to the starter. The counterweight on the heat riser valve is almost touching the starter. I didn't notice that anything was in a bind when I was taking it apart. But I did have to use a lot of heat the get the studs out.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:15 AM
out of order

Try loosening everything up first, it'll probably fit with everything loose. The manifold holes are larger than bolts and it can be moved around a lot.
I don't know if a MAP setup will get it hot enough. Bending would be last option.
If you have access to a welder you can also cut pipe, bolt it up, weld back together.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:08 PM
230 Tornado

Thanks a lot. I'll try loosening everything first. I did use a thicker gasket (rem flex) but it's only 1/16" thicker than a regular gasket. Not enough to be off this much.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:58 PM
327 Rambler

I'm with babywag on this one...

Loosen up the driver's side manifold to y-pipe, loosen up any connector within the y-pipe, loosen the connection to the cat, all to where they're almost completely removed.

Then see if it fits. The exhaust manifold to y-pipe should in no way be off that much.

Heck, try loosening the driver's side manifold at the head, replace the gaskets, then slowly torque everything down.

Curious... Keep us posted.
Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years
Old 02-06-2020, 07:36 AM
230 Tornado

Thanks for everyone's advice. Hopefully I won't have to loosen the drivers side manifold now. It took a long time to do the pass. side- lots of heating-cooling cycles and blaster spray. But I finally got them all out without breaking the original hollow bolts. I'm anxious the get it running again so I can go on the next problem- carburetor problems.