International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Can you relate to this?

I started my Front shackle reversal about 6 weeks ago. It has been a brutal install because it has been one set back after another. I estimated a weekend of work and $300 but its going on $600 AND I still have to get my drive shaft lengthened and redo my front passenger side hard brake line.

Yesterday I spent close to 16 hours under my truck. My garage is DESTROYED (parts, dirt, tools, metal shavings EVERYWHERE) and my hands are killing me. Toward the end of the night (~11pm) I am thinking I am just about done and am bleeding my brakes. The long brake line (from the proportioning valve to the passenger side) WILL NOT seal. I am tired, sore, grumpy, and about ready to throw an ad on Craigslist to sell this thing.

....then I start it. I hadn't heard my engine in 6 weeks and to hear it fire up and smell the burning oil and dust on the headers (from me grabbing them as I working) was AWESOME. I let it high idle for about 30 seconds before I blipped the throttle and let it settle down to a low idle. I sat and listened to it burble for a while and just grinned. My wife was yelling at me through the window because the smoke was getting in the windows and choking her (our bedroom is directly over my garage) but all I could hear was America idling in my garage. Don't get me wrong, my 401 is tired; but that sound of a carb'ed, American V8 breathing out an American made muffler is just awesome.

I backed it out of my garage and parked it across the street so I could clean my garage. As I locked it up and walked away, I looked back at it and thought "That is bad looking rig." I love my Mazdaspeed, I like my wife's Pathfinder but these FSJs are just awesome. No need to write a Craigslist ad, I guess. I just need to find someone that is better with hard brake lines than I am. And a good local driveshaft shop. And I need to wash it. I wish my brakes worked because I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY wanted to drive it last night. I guess I can forgive it for the high cost (both money and time) of owning/driving it.

You guys ever been there? Ready to throw in the towel, then realise that would be a bad idea?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 09-24-2017, 06:06 PM
258 I6

I understand completely

I know exactly what you mean. I've been fighting a losing battle with my fuel
injection install. I have it running (for about 2 minutes) then it dies. Nothing I do resolves the issue. I haven't driven it in a year and the only thing that keeps me going is the few minutes it runs perfectly before it dies.

I'll have it running by the end of the year if it kills me. Just have to get through harvest first. Don't give up. You will regret it for sure. Post up some pics. We love any and all FSJ pics.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:00 PM
232 I6

i'm with you... i seized my engine over a month ago. have everything disconnected to pull it, but cant get the time or extra hands to do it. when it happened, i felt like putting it in neutral and giving it a good push down a hill into a lake.

BUT... time and money will go by and one day I will drive her again. And it will be glorious!

MSD 6A
229 727 dana 44 axles
Old 09-24-2017, 11:54 PM
350 Buick

I've learned a lot about mechanics in the last 18 months or so since I bought this piece.

I call my SW .357 magnum revolver the same thing.

Always takes me umpteen times longer to fix than a real mechanic but I get through it and know that it was done right. Just not always right the first time. Or the second, sometimes the third or so....

You do want it done right don't you?
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 09-25-2017, 07:17 PM
232 I6

I've got my Dads 1973 J4000 that I'm restoring and I also have an all original 1971 F100 that I've owned for 22 years. Yes my Ford always stays in the garage. My wife ask me all the time what is it about these old trucks that you like so much? You just can't beat the way they drive, I simply love the way they feel. I have an 08 F250,it's fun to drive also, but totally different. Really can't explain it to the wife
Old 09-30-2017, 07:14 AM
230 Tornado

I recently sold my beloved 79 CJ5 and bought a 79 Cherokee 1000 miles away that I had a buddy pick-up for me and deliver to my driveway. That was over a month ago, and I still haven't even driven it. She patiently waits in my driveway as I pass her by every morning and every night on my way to and from work (I work 6 days a week, 12-14 hours a day during the Summer Season).
However, the days are getting shorter and colder, and soon I'll be able to get her into my heated garage to spend some quality time together over the long Colorado Mountain Winter. And I am anticipating all the smells, sore hands, busted knuckles and even the frustrating setbacks you describe with glee. Because it's the journey to the promise land of your 'Jeep Perfection' that brings you glory, not the destination.

Press-on, my fellow Jeep loving comrades!
Damn the torpedoes! It's only money and time we're exchanging for our Jeep glory!
Cheaper than therapy, and way more effective!
Old 09-30-2017, 11:43 AM
327 Rambler

Yes I feel the same way sometimes. I have been working on my J10 for about 15 years. Have not driven it since 2005. Family and life get in the way. Then I decided to get it painted and really start doing what I wanted to it. The V8 is awesome (just a stock 360) with a flow master but it has a totally different sound than the FI V8's. It rides ruff, no power windows or seats, but it's a 'truck'. Im getting close to having it driving on the streets and getting smogged. It will never be my daily driver (I'm not rich), but it will be my weekend/offroad truck. I have a M101A3 trailer that will get towed behind it when I go off-road on weekends.

My bro-in-law (who I talked into getting a 74 J20) is on his way over to work on it right now.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash