International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Trac-Loc swap for Waggy...please advise

Greetings to all Jeep Junkies (from new member)

#1 I'm looking for a low budget limited slip for my '79 Wagoneer. Picked up a very tight used Trac-Lock from a junkyard '74 CJ5. ($25.00) From reading the IFSJA posts, I realize this is not a popular diff. Please share any and all opinions.
What is involved in the swap...can I just swap the limited slip section or do I have to swap the whole carrier and have the diff set up professionally? (has wrong ratio ring gear) Also.....discovered the diff does not want to come out of the CJ housing. Researched and found I may need a Dana housing spreader???? What do ya'll think? Is the Trac-Loc worth installing?

Please see my other posts for QT wanted and '69 waggy for sale or trade.

#2 My QT has bad brake cones and is driving front wheels only. How come no one has reproduced the infamous brake cones???? Seems there would be a pretty good market for them.
I'm thinking of installing a Mile Marker Kit. Seems that may make more sense than swapping QT's until I find a good one.
Anyhow, I've got front shaft removed currently and e-drive locked. If I put my lo-budget Trac-Loc in the rear I will at least be somewhat off-roadable until I get my QT replaced/repaired. Again, please share any and all opinions to this IFSJA newby.

#3 Anyone have a recommendation for a reputable drive line shop in Las Vegas/Henderson?

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. Who do I send my divorce attorney bill to at IFSJA? (Since I've spent all my spare time on the site since I got my Waggy the wifes not very happy with me!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05301.jpg (29.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 AM

To get the carrier out you just need a big pry bar. Pry against the bolt heads or the center hole where the spider gears are.

No you can't swap the clutches into your carrier.

Knock the ring gear off your old carrier and the new one then install your ring gear on the new carrier. Use the original shims and don't mix up the bearing races and you will be fine. You shouldn't have to pay someone just to do a carrier swap.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 AM

A used one will have to be rebuilt. Which will cost you about 180 bucks. Plus an install kit to install it, and possibly the labor of an experienced gear installer to install it for you. Also, the CJ needs to have come with the same carrier break on the ratio or it won't fit (this is assuming its from a D44, and not a D35/AMC20).

As for the clutch cones in the QT, I am not sure anybody out there has the ability to make them. I doubt BW would give out the specifications for them. And if they are that bad, I think you would be better off getting a part-time conversion kit.

1981 J10 AMC 258 with TFI and Weber 32/36 DGEV Carb with a BJ's Aluminum Radiator, T176, NP208, D44/M23 with 4.56 gears and Detroit Locker, 6" lift, 33x12.50 TSL's, BJ's Offroad Rear Bumper.

1975 Cherokee *Sold*
1989 XJ Limited *Sold*
2005 KJ Limited 3.7, 42RLE, NP242
2008 JK 3.8, 6sp, NP241, 2.5", 33's, 4.56's
Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Grease Monkey

$180 to rebuild a trac-loc? I rebuilt mine myself and if I'm remembering correctly it cost me $60. I still wouldn't swap in a trac-loc though. I would look for either a lunch box locker or maybe a mini spool depending on your needs. I had to rebuild mine because the retaining clips had fallen out and some of the ears had broken off of the clutchs, thats doesn't exactly scream durability to me. In fact the only reason I didn't just weld my solid is because I'm still in highschool and my dad wouldn't let me.

1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, work in progress

Last edited by deadironrat : 01-13-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Last time I looked, Randy's Ring and Pinion had rebuild kits for $60 and you can do it yourself, it's not hard. Put it in the front axle and get a locker for the rear.