International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
snide. snarky. grease covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristow
i'll worry about understanding it when it works better than what we have. understanding it now is akin to buying a beta player or laser disc player back when those were gonna be the new big thing.

here's a tip. if the government has to subsidize it to make it more appealing....it doesn't work.
Ha!! Laser disc player...good analogy man!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:13 AM

For a lot of people its the money. I use to work for a medium size landscaping company, when gas prices starting shooting up, they were gonna buy a Prius to do estimates and small errands in, but it was cheaper, even with the fuel efficiency hit, to buy a Corolla. They also starting buying gas pickups instead of the diesels, because of the cost, as most of you know, a diesel costs more upfront, and the overall fuel savings over the life of the truck did not warrant the extra up front cost.
2012 Honda Odyssey

“This car is a squadron of nuts and bolts flying together in loose formation.” - Colin Beer

www.colinmichaelfund.org
Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
i'm not judging the tech. let it develop. just don't try to convince me how great it is for the environment,or that it's a viable replacement for the internal combustion engine.

BOOM.

"That smelly old Jeep pollutes the environment!!!"

But your 25 thousand dollar death-battery mobile is dandy. Don't mind all the coal-burning, petroleum products, extreme amounts of electricity, straight-up gasoline prices, etc. etc. ETC ETC that went into the production of that...ahem...THOSE super-eco-fun-time vehicles!

But, re-using a 40 year old vehicle is irresponsible..

"Big ugly smelly diesel make black smoke! Diesel bad! Torch and pitchfork!!! ME LOVE TREE"

These people COMPLETELY accept the truth...so long as it is kept far behind that there big black curtain...

1982 Wagoneer Brougham
258/T176/219/Weber 32/36
Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM
258 I6

Some people that drive these cars want others to know that they are driving a hybrid or all electric (except the Tesla owners). The Prius is by far the ugliest darn car out there. They want everyone to know they are driving one. When they changed the look after the first year, nobody bought one so Toyota changed it back to the original. The same thing goes for some Solar Power users. I have been told many times that some people want the panels on the front of their house so everybody can see that they are eco friendly even if the panels would be more efficient in a different area of the roof that was less visible.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 PM

The looks of the Prius always make me wonder if the Pontiac Aztec was intended to be electric because it's so ugly too!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
i'll worry about understanding it when it works better than what we have. understanding it now is akin to buying a beta player or laser disc player back when those were gonna be the new big thing.

here's a tip. if the government has to subsidize it to make it more appealing....it doesn't work.

In 2013 the US gave 21 billion in subsidies for coal and oil exploration alone. So I guess coil and oil don't work either.

Last edited by ihavejeep : 08-07-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Shakes hands with danger

CAUTION DANGER WARNING ACHTUNG:
Opinions ahead may not match your own.

I don't know much about the Leaf, but it's not what I'd call "sporty".

Frumpy, for sure, but not sporty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaisle
I imagine that in 15 years there's going to be piles of hybrids in junk yards across the country because people just throw them away.
Not sure I see that happening. Around here the Prius is immensely popular and they are just as reliable as a conventional car. Battery packs do not arbitrarily go bad. I spent many years in a Toyota dealership and we saw very, very few propulsion (as opposed to 12V) batteries replaced, and not many of those were paid for by the customer. At least a few were the result of owner error - leaving smart keys in the vehicle (ergo keeping the car on and awake) and then going for a two-week vacation, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaisle
I don't imagine a 1200 pound electric car would make it through the snow very well.
I don't imagine a 1200-pound electric car, period. Electrics and hybrids are not golf carts. They are not lighter than comparable conventionally sized cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91blaze
Not really sure why people are so interested in hybrids, as I've already explained in my previous post.
Two reasons:

1) They exist. They are on the market right now.
2) They are as easy to refuel as any conventional IC-powered car.

Quote:
You have a point. But there are an awful lot of people with their fingers in their ears, either just hard-headed or getting their technical data at the same place they get their politics and religion (church, feed store, barber shop, watering hole). Sometimes viable technology simply doesn't take off because people are either afraid of change or brainwashed, and would rather chant, "NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE" than consider anything new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyamcalvert
These people COMPLETELY accept the truth...so long as it is kept far behind that there big black curtain...
Well, consider, though - whose truth? Yours, theirs, or that of the people bringing you the story?

People get their information from different sources. Many of those with the strongest beliefs are absolutely convinced that their sources are the only ones telling the truth. My theory is that they believe so trongly because that source is telling them what the want to hear and reinforcing what they already believe.

We could get into whose "news" is actually unbiased and factual, but at the end of the day, it's all an entertainment product, engineered to sell advertising. "News" media draws their audience by playing on their fears, biases, and personal agendas. If they can make you mad enough or scared enough to tune in tomorrow, they make more money.

Anyway...where was we? All them brand-new 'lectric cars, wasn't it?

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Last edited by DarkMonohue : 08-07-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Banned

Electric cars...are run on American Coal.

Unless they can make one that has the range and power of a gas powered car and doesn't suck your home electricity every night after your daily commute its only going to be a niche vehicle.

There was an Home-built Fully electric car in a Jeep Junkie magazine a few years back. The kid modified his XJ into an electric car with a massive electric motor and 20 12 volt automotive batteries.

I wonder how many times he recharged that thing before his electric bill was unaffordable.

The father of the Prius even admitted electric cars were a dead end. http://news.msn.com/science-technolo...other-dead-end

Last edited by Tinkerjeep : 08-07-2014 at 06:32 PM.