International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM
350 Buick

Door alignment

I am having some leaking issues, It's one of those it wasn't one thing but 10 things all contributing. I've been knocking them out one by one, here is another thread with door panel questions.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=171178

I also think there is a door alignment issue causing some of the leaking. I'm my two front doors they do not have good pressure on the seal, the bottom has super tight pressure and the top has a gap. I think I just need to adjust the door.

I've read multiple posts and I could not get a conclusive approach so I figured I would ask.

The easiest method I read about was loosen the 6 bolts inside the door panel to the hinges, shut the door, then tighten from the inside. That sounds easy, but wouldn't I also have to have the striker in the perfect place as well?

I can tell the striker has been moved and adjusted to try and compensate, basically move it in really far to make the door hard to close so it get tighter, probably PO did this because the 3 phillips screws are easier than removing the door panel to fix the hinge adjustment.

The hinges seem OK, but not sure on that either.

Thanks!

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159324
Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 PM

On a 35 year old car I'd highly suspect the hinge pins and bushings are toast. Grab the open door and lift to see if there is some slop. New pins and bushings are avail at any auto parts store in the help section. Usually one set of pins and bushings per card. If someone has previously tried to adjust the hinge position you'll have to readjust after the new pin/bushings instal but if they are bad and you try tweaking the hinges, latches or strikers with worn pins you're just chasing your tail.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:28 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
On a 35 year old car I'd highly suspect the hinge pins and bushings are toast. Grab the open door and lift to see if there is some slop. New pins and bushings are avail at any auto parts store in the help section. Usually one set of pins and bushings per card. If someone has previously tried to adjust the hinge position you'll have to readjust after the new pin/bushings instal but if they are bad and you try tweaking the hinges, latches or strikers with worn pins you're just chasing your tail.

how hard is it to replace? Do I need to take the door off?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 PM
304 AMC

If you are doing the pins and bushings yet, you have to take the door off. The pin is pressed out of the hinge and then the brass (at least that is what they look like) bushing must be pulled and replaced.

Before going to that level, try adjusting the position of the hinge on the frame and the door. You loosen the bolts and adjust a little trying to take up or let out where you need, tighten back down and see if it helps.

Good luck.

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 PM
350 Buick

I will probably just put in new bushings and pins, seems easy enough.

So with new bushings and pins, and new plastic and tape, I figure I should clean up the windshield gears. Mine are all manual. All but one seem to work pretty good, the bad one only goes half way then starts to angle wrong.

What's the best way to clean those and check them out? Should I pull it all out, sand up parts, paint and grease them? Is it hard to get window gears out? Might should search on this first.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 PM
350 Buick

Also, if I replace the bushings, still have the question on how best to align. Many post mention the hinges on the frame and behind the door panel, but how does the striker fit in?

Do I just loosen it or push it way back, adjust door first then striker?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

LOL

The high quality fit from the factory is the equivalent of putting a round peg in a square hole.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:11 PM
350 Buick

You adjust the hinges to get the height, angle and depth of the door. Sometimes getting the body lines straight and the gaps even is a compromise.

The strike should be as high as possible without it actually "lifting" the back of the door as it closes. Adjust the depth so the rear of the door is flush with the body.

There will be some trial and error involved. I drilled a hole in each hinge before removing them to get close on reassembly.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Grease Monkey

Leave the striker alone until you've adjusted the door. To tighten the gap at top and to fix being tight on bottom your going to have to adjust the frame side of hinge, this lets you move the door in and out. The door side will alow you to go forward and aft and to get the door square in the hole. You should then be able to tell if you need to move the striker. Also make sure you have the glass and motor in the door when your adjusting or you'll have to readjust for the weight.
89 Grand Wagoneer- 360 727 NP229 31x10.50's on slot rims