International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 10-25-2019, 11:30 AM
232 I6

Those ratchet straps worked really well. Cool idea!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 10-25-2019, 12:19 PM
350 Buick

still looks cool
even without the bed, and with the Jed clampet look !
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 10-25-2019, 07:03 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel
Very nice!

Thank you. It's getting there even if it's going much slower than I had planned. All the kind words from people on this site help me to stay motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbinius
Those ratchet straps worked really well. Cool idea!

They actually worked much better than I anticipated, the bed doesn't weigh as much as I expected. The hardest part was figuring out how to get it standing on end without damaging anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
still looks cool
even without the bed, and with the Jed clampet look !

I think so too. Even without a bed these trucks still look nice.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:09 PM
258 I6

I think my wife is trying to prevent me from buying those bolts and making the Jed Clampet bed. I planned on stopping on my way home this afternoon and working on the truck but it was raining cats and dogs when I left work and my wife decided we needed to go do our weekly running around this afternoon. So I didn't get the chance to do anything. Hopefully I can make that happen tomorrow. My wife thinks it would be embarrassing to drive it that way but I have driven much worse in my lifetime and don't really get embarrassed by a vehicle. She forgets I was driving my '66 Gladiator when I met her complete with ventilated floorboards and intermittent brakes. Then when that got hit by someone I bought a dented up Lincoln Continental Town Coupe with the back bumper held on with a ratchet strap. She wouldn't ride in either of them but I drove that truck all over the country and all the way to Alaska and drove that Lincoln all over Alaska.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 10-25-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:26 PM
258 I6

I made it to the hardware store and got everything I need to make the truck drive and be legal, except for mud flaps. As luck would have it I was talking to someone at work and mentioned this and also mentioned that a couple months ago I threw out some rubber back seat floor mats that would have been perfect for the job. He told me he had just thrown some in the trash and would get them and give them to me So mud flaps are acquired.

Yesterday I got the cross boards bolted down and messed with a few other things but before I do the rest I need to drain the gas tank and figure out locating it on the bed so I can weld in the mounting brackets. Then I can figure out mounting it to the hillbilly bed and get it up and driving.

While I was messing with that I took a couple pix of the original license plate bracket to show you. I'm sure it has been hidden from the light of day since the truck was new and got the bumper it got.

I was considering using it to hold the license plate until I get new bumper mounts made. I want to make new bumper mounts because I want to move the bumper in a little bit to close up the gap between the bumper and the bed.

The problem with using the original license plate mount and light is it is not in very good condition and I wouldn't really trust it for holding the license plate. I think I am going to remove the mount entirely because it just gives a place for dirt and moisture to accumulate but I think it is kind of a neat thing.

I do have some good news about the battery. After sitting on the charger for the better part of a week the battery held a charge for 24hrs so I'm going to call it good Which is a huge relief.

More good news is today at work I found some metal frames of some kind in the scrap bin and decided they were exactly what I needed to make mounts for trailer lights so I can drive the truck. After doing that I realized they were also the perfect thing for making fuel tank brackets. So I quickly bent up a couple of hat channels and I now have something to weld to the bottom of the bed to hang the fuel tank from.

I know, it's not a lot of progress but it is progress and that is a good thing. I took a 3 day weekend this Tue, Wed, Thur and hopefully I will be making more significant progress during those 3 days. The temperature is rapidly dropping outside, this morning it was 35f and I need to get the painting done as soon as possible.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:31 PM
350 Buick

it is about to happen,....

the Clampets are coming to town !!!

I can hear the banjo playing now.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 10-29-2019, 05:38 PM
258 I6

Today I got up at the crack of 8 with the goal of making the truck driveable. At 8AM it was still dark so I began working by flashlight. My first task was get the gas tank drained so I stood it up on end with a hose going into a gas can. I then went to work on the tail lights. That was easy enough since two of the brackets I made were angled and there were two holes on the top of the frame on each side in the perfect place it was just a matter of marking and drilling then bolting the brackets down. Then wiring was pretty simple since there are only 2 wires to the tail lights. Some quick checks and a little fiddling and that was all done.

Next on the list was mud flaps. For that I took one of the floor mats I was given, cut it in half and sandwich it between two 2x4s then zip tie them to the truck at the overload spring bump stops.

Then came the reason I drained the tank, I installed the filler neck on the bed, then set the tank where it goes and marked where the bolts from the strap get located. Looking at the length of the strap it looks like it was made to have carriage bolts through the bed that then held the gas tank. So either I need to do the same thing or make the strap shorter because if I weld the brackets I made the strap will be too long. I don't think shortening it would be too hard but I don't think cutting some square holes for some carriage bolts would be hard either.

Once that was done I set to work finishing the hillbilly bed frame and mounting the tank to it.

I made the frame up, made sure the fuel pump and sending unit worked
then put the T111 on top. You might notice the ratchet straps I used to make sure the tank didn't go anywhere. It does have the original strap but it was a little bit loose so I used the ratchet straps just to be on the safe side. You might also notice the liberal use of zip ties for securing a lot of things

Anyway, Here is the picture of the final outcome.

At this point I got excited and wanted to go for a drive so I cleared the tools and stuff away, fired it up and headed down the road. I was about a mile down the road when I realized that I had forgotten to install the back license plate and also forget to grab my wallet So I quickly turned around and headed home. Thankfully I didn't run into any police.

While I was working on the truck my neighbor came over to BS. He said he was going to suggest I do just what I was doing so I could have it up and running. I told him about my wife calling it a Beverly Hillbillies bed and he suggested I mount a rocking chair on it So now I'm planning on making some visits to goodwill and see if I can find a cheap rocking chair
Old 10-31-2019, 09:09 PM
258 I6

So.....

Today I went out and bought a $20 rocking chair just to mount on the back of the truck

My wife has started to come around to accepting this idea of me driving the truck like this while I work on the bed She even suggested I attach springs to the rocker so it can rock when I drive it and decorating it for the holidays So tomorrow I plan on buying some springs and figuring out how to attach the rocker so it can rock. Then I need to get my son's girlfriend to sew up a big Santa doll and maybe a pilgrim to put in it for Thanksgiving and Christmas
Old 11-04-2019, 11:41 PM
258 I6

What started off as a pretty good week for me ended in a fairly bad day.

To begin with, as you know, I got the truck up and running, which was a good thing but was still having starting issues. I wasn't sure if it was the battery has gone bad or something was causing a draw but to make it work I was putting it on the charger overnight and it would be fine for the day.

I had Thursday off so my work week began on Friday and the truck did just fine. Friday after work I got some springs and mounted the rocking chair on the back

I think it's hilarious and it gets a lot of attention. Most people have a very positive reaction. Most of the older people get the jokes right away, the younger ones ask what the deal is, several have had to look up the Beverly Hillbillies so they understood the joke.

Saturday night I didn't hook up the battery charger so I could see if it would be fine Sunday morning... it wasn't. So I jump started it. It ran fine but needed jumped again after work. So that night I plugged it in.

This morning (Monday) which is my Friday, the truck started and ran fine. After work it required a little extra cranking to start, which I noticed but it did start. I got about halfway home when the engine just stopped I coasted to the side of the road and tried to restart it. It didn't start and after only a few seconds the battery wouldn't turn it over.

I called my wife to come give me a jump but when she got there it would crank but still not start. When I looked at the fuel pressure gauge it was reading zero. For some reason the fuel pump had quit and I didn't have any way of testing it or doing much of anything to it.

So I reluctantly let my wife call a tow truck and for the first time since I've owned the truck it failed to get me home.

Once home I began troubleshooting with the help of my neighbor and a multi meter. The power going to the gas tank was correct so the next thing was to take the T111 off and pull the pump. I found that somehow the plug that locks into the pump had somehow come disconnected. So I reconnected it and it is now working again but I don't know that I will ever really trust it again so may get a frame mounted pump as a hot spare in case I ever need a backup again.

We also kind of looked into the battery issue. My neighbor thinks the started is going bad, even though it is only a few years old I suppose that is possible, especially since the headers get so close to it. I have it on the charger again and in the morning I will take the battery to Auto zone and have it tested and if it tests good I'll pull the starter and see if that's the problem.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:12 AM
230 Tornado

This is clearly the best and highest use ever conceived for that chair and your truck. high marks for engineering, fabrication and installation. Whatever transpires after this will be the ordinary product/result/decay of entropy. Well done.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:05 PM
350 Buick

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT CRANKY !!!!

now lets get your cool wife in the chair,
......at least for a picture.

I could see someone in the chair on the highway when you goose the throttle
and throw them backward.....

take care cranky.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 11-11-2019, 06:57 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compound W
This is clearly the best and highest use ever conceived for that chair and your truck. high marks for engineering, fabrication and installation. Whatever transpires after this will be the ordinary product/result/decay of entropy. Well done.

Quote:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT CRANKY !!!!

now lets get your cool wife in the chair,
......at least for a picture.

I could see someone in the chair on the highway when you goose the throttle
and throw them backward.....

take care cranky.

dave in NC

Thank you, both of you.

My wife seldom allows her picture to be taken and has never even ridden in the truck, so it's unlikely I can get her talked into climbing up there and sitting in the chair for a pic. People I work with have been all too happy to sit in it and have their pictures taken.

I have however run into a small problem this the setup. The back end of the truck is far too light and the tires spin badly whenever I step on the gas on even slightly wet roads. I thought I had come up with a simple, easy and cheap solution for this...a ballast box. I have a couple of plastic military foot lockers and figured I'd just screw one down, add some sand bags and problem solved. Then came the design issues. The easiest place to mount the box would be right behind the cab but that would interfere with the rocking chair, so instead I decided to mount it at the very back, that way less weight will be required and it won't interfere with the chair.

So this afternoon I set about making a place to mount the box and mounting it

I personally think this is a good solution but my wife hates it. She hates it so much that I will probably remove it and make a smaller wooden box like she prefers. Gotta keep the wife happy afterall.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:09 PM
350 Buick

I don't blame mrs. cranky

I don't like to have my photo taken either,....

this has been fun though !!!

bet those folks at work had fun with it.

I guess it is easy to spin, ...like you said,.....I never thought about that !

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 11-12-2019, 07:59 PM
258 I6

Quote:
I don't blame mrs. cranky

I don't like to have my photo taken either,....

this has been fun though !!!

bet those folks at work had fun with it.

I guess it is easy to spin, ...like you said,.....I never thought about that !

dave in NC

Everybody seems to like the truck as it is and have fun with it, although I've noticed that nobody tailgates me and most people hang way back when they see the rocking chair actually rock I've also noticed on 4 lane roads people often get even with the rocker and just stay in that position instead of passing, often laughing and obviously talking about it.

I also think I found a cheap easy solution for the ballast box that will make Mrs Cranky happy. Years ago when I built my first apple chopper I built a hopper for it out of wood that holds about a bucket of apples. The chopper has since grow in size and horse power and last spring I made a larger hopper that holds in excess of 100 LBS of apples rendering the smaller hopper unnecessary. I noticed it today when I was thinking about picking the late season apples I got permission to pick and realized that with only a small amount of work and scrap wood that I already have I can use that to make a ballast box that should meet with her approval.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:47 PM
258 I6

Over my weekend I finished the welding on the bed and began grinding the welds down. I also continued working on something suitable to my wife to hold the ballast... I didn't get very far on that but while trying different things I noticed a couple of pallets I had waiting to be burned and decided that they might be suitable for side boards so I did this to them.

Personally I like it and I can bungee or ratchet strap buckets or boxes to it when I need to carry something.

My wife just met me for gas and laughed her a$$ off the whole way home She actually approves of the truck now and can't stop talking about the look on peoples faces as they watch me drive by.

Yesterday I took our Escape and picked apples. Tomorrow I plan on bringing a few buckets with me in the truck and pick some more while I can.