International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-11-2001, 12:56 AM

My horn does not work. Inspection coming up so I got to get it working. I have diagnosised the problem to be between the wire that comes out at the bottom of the steering column and the same wire at the top of the steering wheel. Must be a short or cut wire in there. I know this because by process of elimination if I ground the wire that starts into the bottom of the column the horn sounds and if I ground the wire at the top of column (just under the steering wheel) the horn does not sound. I know that to pass inspecion I can run a switch of somekind to sound the horn. I would rather fix this problem correctly. My question is to I have to pull the column and if so how much of a pain in the butt is it.

Also I am up for any other suggestions.

87 Grand Wagoneer

Thanks

Old 05-11-2001, 04:56 AM
Jeep Idiot

No you do not have to pull the column but you do have to remove the wheel and lock plate. Does the horn work if you put power to it? when you ground the wire to the column do you hear the relay click? It is rare for the horn switch or wires on the column to go bad.

------------------
65 wag. 360/edelbrock rb4/t400/20 t-case/4:10 d27/d44 broken power lok/onboard air/onboard 110v power(no inverter)/1999 Lincoln t.c.leather buckets/Lincoln ctr console/winch/33x12.50/tunes/water proof door pads
soon to have new motor/d44frt/d60r(4:10)welded diff/custom bumpers
see ya in da mud
Old 05-11-2001, 06:13 AM

Here is what I did to track my problem. First power to the horn and it toots. So horn is not bad. So I think it is the relay so I find the relay and supply power to the horn side of relay so wire is not bad from relay to horn. I measure the power coming into the relay, 12 volts, so that is not bad. Ground the ground side of the relay, horn toots so problem is somewhere in ground connection. So I thought the horn switch was bad remove that and the ground the wire coming into the horn switch (just under the steering wheel) no sound. So problem with wire between horn ground and relay. So I look down at bottom of steering column where it enters dash. There is a push together connection. Trace wire from relay back to here. Ground it and horn sounds. So I think the problem is between bottom of column and horn switch. So it has to be a broken wire or bad connection in the column I am just curious as to how much work I am going to get into my trying to pull the column.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2001, 04:36 PM
Jeep Idiot

If you pull the wheel and then the lock plate, that will give you access to the horn contact ring under that is the turn signal switch and wiring harness. by unbolting the switch you can then remove it by unplugging the connector on the side of the column and it will slide up and thru the shift collar. The most you may have to do is loosen the main column bracket to dash nuts and remove the 4 bolts that hold the column to the bracket.

------------------
65 wag. 360/edelbrock rb4/t400/20 t-case/4:10 d27/d44 broken power lok/onboard air/onboard 110v power(no inverter)/1999 Lincoln t.c.leather buckets/Lincoln ctr console/winch/33x12.50/tunes/water proof door pads
soon to have new motor/d44frt/d60r(4:10)welded diff/custom bumpers
see ya in da mud
Old 05-13-2001, 11:24 PM

I got it fixed I pulled the steering wheel, lock plate and it was the white ring that was under there. The wire was not making a connection.

Thanks for all the help