International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-19-2000, 05:48 AM

Wink

I have 258 to which I have retrofitted a GM HEI distributor. There seems to be far more backlash in the distributor drive than I think is normal, I'd guesstimate it at 10 degrees. How much is normal? This can't be helping the timing, can it? I'll bet this is why the timing jumps all over the place when I put a strobe on it.

The cam has less than 10,000 on it, but the distributor gear is highly suspect. Does anyone make a drop-in unit for this purpose (GM HEI replacement for AMC 258 ignition)?

Thanks for any advice.

Jake
76 J10 258 - the Guinea Pig
Old 09-26-2000, 11:49 AM

Wink

Had a '73 Vega that did this. The cause: A toasted distributor shaft. The bearings will wear out, and allow the shaft to slop around while it's spinning. It wreaks havoc on your timing. Pull the cap and see if you can wiggle the shaft. Even the tiniest amount of movement means it's shot. Yull need to replace the distributor, or rebuild it. It's bad news, but when I replaced mine, that Vega ran like a chanp.

Brenton
Old 09-26-2000, 12:35 PM

Talking

Yep, sure looks like that was the problem. There was indeed a tiny bit of play, and when I bought a remanufactured Motorcraft thd slop went away.

Havent cured my no-idle problem, but at least I know it's not ignition. Going for a carb rebuild now, or maybe a Weber. Anyone got one for sale?