• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2jeepdrivers
    232 I6
    • Feb 06, 2008

Howell/DUI issues

Hoping somebody here is smarter than me. I have a 360 w/ howell tbi and dui ignition that I ran in my Willys Wagon for a few years. Recently I ended up scrapping the Willys because rust had gotten extremely bad and I picked up a 73' J4000. I put the motor in the J4000 hooked up the dui and howell system cranked it over and had no injector pulse and no spark. After some testing figured out ignition module was bad, replaced it now I have spark but no injector pulse. I gave it a little shot of either and fired right up but died once the ether burned off. So far I have rechecked all my grounds, verified tach signal going to white wire on howell harness, power to howell fuse block wire in cranking and run position, orange wire has power in crank and run, purple wire gets power during cranking only but still no injector pulse. The fuel system is on its own circuit due to a couple years ago I had some wiring issues on the trail and ripped off fuel pump wiring and put it on a switch and have grown to like it that way. I hide the fuel pump switch as a little bit of extra security. Fuel Pressure is great have checked at tbi and at pump both times inline to make sure regulator was working.
    Anyways does anyone know of anything else other than ecm that could cause the lack of injector pulse. Find it odd that it ran great in my Willys pull it out and swap everything over and now no injector pulse. The ecm is grounded through its mounting. Does it need an additional ground wire or does it need to be not grounded couldn't remember for sure on this.
    55' Willys Wagon RIP
    73' J4000 Stole my Willys Drivetrain
    68' CJ6 in process of something
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Verify grounds...solid engine ground for tbi, not body/chassis.
    ECM shouldn't be grounded.
    Many TBI issues can be attributable to bad grounds.

Verify injectors have battery voltage?
    Both while cranking and key on.
    They (injectors) fire by an ecm ground signal.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ShagWagon
      350 Buick
      • Apr 10, 2016

I'm not a mechanic but seems like a fuel problem issue. If it fires and runs out of gas when you dump into TB.

If regulator works it could still not have enough fuel to regulate. Fuel filters clogged? Injectors clogged? Pump bad?

I'd pull off fuel hoses and check they're getting squirted in a 2 liter. Or use some kind pressure gauge I don't have.

Careful of fires. Not the safest way.
      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• 2jeepdrivers
        232 I6
        • Feb 06, 2008

Got it figured out. One wire was barely pulled out of a weatherpack connector on the battery constant circuit. Now I only have one injector spraying but I can figure that out.
        55' Willys Wagon RIP
        73' J4000 Stole my Willys Drivetrain
        68' CJ6 in process of something

Comment

Working...
        X