International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 AM

back to square one

well I thought I had everything figured out, and put most everything back together, the last thing I put back was the windshield wipers. tried them and all ok. Then I put back the cap for the coil closed the hood and smoke out of the engine compartment. It burned off a piece of #12 ground in less than 5 seconds. both the pos and neg wires were hot. This is with the key off. So I can only think that this has to be something with the starter, or wire to the starter that can push so many amps through the main wires as that. I felt the other wires in the harness;s and no heat there, only the pos and neg main, along with the adjunct #12 that goes to the frame from the battery. Going to go with tgreese Idea of the resistance in series with the pos terminal, and find this thing.I am just going to use a 1156 tailight that way I can see when the short is made. At least I got a good knowledge of the electrical system and the dash and the harness's under the dash. live and learn I guess.

Last edited by chaos : 06-03-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:44 AM

I forgot to add that the resistor I needed was a 15 not a 20 so rather than go back and get another one, I just put heat shrink on the resistance wire and hooked it back up.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Auto Trannie God

sounds like the hood hit both the positive and negative battery post when you shut the hood ???/??? do you have the right battery in the truck ????
Old 06-03-2006, 11:14 AM

I will check that, but I don't think the pos and neg wires to the starter and the motor would have gotten hot. But you never know. thanks.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:51 AM

gsmikie : you were right on target, I found the arching on the tube that supports the hood. I can see how it made the circuit and the end results. thanks, I would not have thoght of that. Now it won't charge again, I think maybe It shorted out the alternator??? I will take it out and bench check it. and then go from there. I ended up turning the battery around, so the negative would hit the tube not the pos. and added a plastic cover over the pos. terminal.