International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Introduce Yourself.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:53 PM
232 I6

another I'M BACK

not a big poster last time, i didnt have much to offer, i was learning about FSJ's. sold my GW back in 2010-ish, one of the few raging regrets i have in my life.

but, i've just purchased a 79 cherokee. i cant find much detail about these things, or i'm looking in the wrong spots. it's got the 'S' badge on it, both badges are actually still there. and it says cherokee chief on the side. the only info i'm really finding is on the jeep history site, but it's not very detailed. https://www.jeep.com/history/1970s.html#jeepsters

is there a link on our site that give details on the various packages available on the SJ's please?

thanks so much for being here. i've got a little more money this go around to spend on this project so i cant wait to get started. i plan on making sure the engine is 100% reliable first, i'll check out the axles and drive train for any weak links. the interior is ok enough for now but i defiantly want to get it in good, orig condition. don't plan on any big mods, i've an LG for that.

it's coming from the other side of the county so i wont have it for a few weeks, perhaps even a month. i travel for work so trying to arrange the drop off time to coincide with me being home has been a challenge.

thanks for everyone's time and effort who's come before and assembled all the info that's here so far.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:38 AM
232 I6

Welcome back Madduck, I'm a recent return too and in a little better spot this time as well. I've got a '79 Wagoneer that I'm itching to get into. Best of luck.

http://www.vinwiz.com/
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forum...9&daysprune=-1
Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 AM
304 AMC

Yes! Another 79!!! Woo Hoo!! Welcome back!!! is it yellow? (please say yes)

Sounds like a Cherokee Chief. All Chief's got the S badges but not all S's were Chiefs. If you poke around you can find the original sales brochures but I haven't seen a good source of what all is included in each package for each year. For 79 I think all Chiefs were Wide Track, 360, TH400/QTrack, A/C, Cruise, Tilt, the interior with the stripes on the seats and door panels, stereo, and clock. That's my assumption so I could be in left field.

Anywho, love seeing folks with history here! You guys are the best!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 06-25-2019, 02:45 PM
232 I6

thanks guys.
using miracle's vinwiz it shows my specs as wide track with the 360.
i knew it was a V8 and was pretty sure a 360, now i know.

i've got the grand wagoneer svc manual on a disc. looking through it am i correct that that is the same manual for SJ's?

are these the stripes youre referencing RaS?
i love the interior on this one. making it a reliable driver will come first. the interior will be a quick second. i plan on going back to as close to stock as i can. i've got a guy here who does major reno's on old vehicles so i gotta think he'll have a shop that can do this.

the wear and tear on the exterior is just enough that it looks perfect i think. so i'm in no hurry to do too much to it. the worst part of the ext is the left quarter. don't have a good pic but i don't really care. it's found its forever home.

do you guys know, were these 8 spokes the stock rims?
thanks again for your time here.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:42 PM
304 AMC

That's one of them! (of the striped interiors)

I am pretty sure those are factory wheels but to me they look like Golden Eagle wheels, but I could be wrong. I think Chiefs had white wagon wheels or the aluminum mags but the Golden Eagles got rims like those. Pretty sure the only difference between chief and Golden Eagle rims is the color.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:47 PM
304 AMC

Oh, and the AMC V8s are pretty easy to swap out. So, you might want to lay on your back under your truck and look at the side of the block and verify it is a 360. Mine was originally a 360 also but, at some point, a 401 was put in. If you look up at your block from underneath, right by the motor mount you'll either see a big 304, 360, or 401 cast into the block. Realistically, 95% chance its a 360 but it might be worth checking.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:02 PM
232 I6

thank RaS.
here is a pic of the wheels from the online add. i've never seen rims 'fade', so i'm thinking there is some funk on the white rims. i'm a big fan of having good rubber, in a whole lot of ways, so i see getting new tires soon. when i do so i'll prob put the chief on a set of stands, pull off the wheels, clean the rims really good, take em in and get new shoes then shoot the rims with a matching color.

when it gets here i'll crawl under it and look at the block to confirm it's a 360. in the world of jeeps, gauges and manuals are really for entertainment purposes mostly.