International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-14-2005, 11:47 AM

Question

Hi Folks,
My '77 had its headliner ripped out by the PO. A leaking roof rack gasket was the obvious culprit. The PO replaced the interior ceiling lamps and coat hooks, but that is all that is left of the headliner. I know the original headliner was a stiff carboard piece(s) and not a bow-type system. I figure I can build a new headliner out of modern waterproof, non-corrosive materials, but don't know where to start and have no remaining pieces to buld on. Does anyone have template or pattern of the Wag's headliner or , at least its dimensions? I know they came in two parts, with a piece that stabalized them in the middle. I've found no place selling the rigid healiner peices, let alone the plastic hardware that rimmed the edges of the headliner.

Any ideas/sources? I fear I may have to scavenge a junk yard or two to get a good look at a completely(relatively) intact one.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 04:34 PM

Your best bet will probably be the junyard. Make sure you get the piece that goes between the 2 cadboard pieces also.
727 Trans
TFI Upgrade
MSD 6AL
Overhead Console (Finally)
4 inch Lift Kit (Next Project)
Old 03-14-2005, 10:00 PM

I've got pics of my headliner cardboard from when I recovered it. No dimensions, but maybe it'll help.
<a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/sunliner\" target=\"_blank\">\'89 Grand Wagoneer</a> -- Generally unnamed; sometimes known as \"That F-----g P.O.S. Jeep\". -- currently DOA.<br />\'99 Volvo S70 -- Safety Brick to haul kids in.<br />\'79 Yamaha XS650 -- The \"crumple zone\" is ME.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:55 AM

I have mine taken out right now and would be happy to take some measurements for you. Its from an 86 so not sure if it is exactly the same. Just let me know.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:44 AM

Thanks Guys.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:20 AM

The headliner slides into the aluminum "gutter" shaped trim pieces on either side of the ceiling, and there's a plastic piece that snaps into a track on the ceiling between the front and rear pieces.

Here's another picture, not great, but it shows the side trim and the front/rear separator.

Actually, click on the link in my sig to go to my gallery, I have a few more pictures of when I recovered my headliner that may help out.

[ March 15, 2005, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: sunliner ]
<a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/sunliner\" target=\"_blank\">\'89 Grand Wagoneer</a> -- Generally unnamed; sometimes known as \"That F-----g P.O.S. Jeep\". -- currently DOA.<br />\'99 Volvo S70 -- Safety Brick to haul kids in.<br />\'79 Yamaha XS650 -- The \"crumple zone\" is ME.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:15 AM

Thanks sunliner