International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-01-2007, 01:41 AM

Upgrades/Tweaks to Improve MPG

First of all happy new year everyone.

Now I know gas mileage has been covered over and over on the forums, but I decided to start a thread based solely on the improvement of mpg. I'm 19 and my 88' GW is my DD to school which is 25 miles away (50 round trip), as you all know that can get a little expensive especially for a younger guy with PT job. What can I do to improve my mileage? Anything at all, from tweaking the timing to driving slower (even though I already drive a consistent 50 mph). Right now I'm getting an average of 10-11 mpg. I know you guys all got some tricks and tips up your sleeves, so throw them out there for me, I need to do everything I can so I can have some money left over for food! haha.

Thanks everyone, I hope this new year brings plenty of great changes for you.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:05 AM

MPG Tweaks

I too use to average 10-11 mpg. I have a 84 wag with 360, edelbrock, 600 holley, with 3.31s. My tweak is to mix 2ozs. acetone to every 10 gals.
I now get 12-13 mpg. Starts easier in the morning and seems to run much cleaner. You can get Pure Acetone at Wal-mart in the Beauty aids section for $2 a bottle, 160ozs. Give it a try, you won't hurt anything. Try keyword search Acetone in gasoline on the internet.
Gary
Old 01-01-2007, 03:30 AM
Gear Head

Stanadyne would be better than acetone, but that works too!
HEI would be my first guess to make gains. Or even an MSD box.
Check your tyres. Got pressure? Got radials? Got 4?
Check your tranny fluid. Full? When was it last changed? New filter?
Check your engine. Full? When was it las changed? Weight? Dino, semi syn, syn?
Check your plugs. What are they telling you? Too rich? Tweak the carb a little...
Check your diffs. Full? Correct weight?
You got AC? Do you need it in the winter? Disconnect the pulley for winter use.
Dirty car? A dirty car can reduce milage by about 3-5%.
Windows down? Windows down can cause tremendous amounts of drag. Can reduce milage considerably (think about 7%).
Roof box? Drag.
Underwear? Drag.
Reduce drag, and increase mpg.
Just think about all the additional mpg youve gained while spending about $700! Probably gained a whopping 3 mpg.
Cant think of much more at the moment...any other ideas besides lassoing a tractor?

Last edited by Kaiser : 01-01-2007 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:54 AM

I have checked my MPG only a couple times. Last time I checked I got 17.8 mpg. Stock 360 with MC2100 carb. 3.31 gears and 33's. Although, it is in a lighter CJ.

Tune up. Easy on the right foot. Synthetic fluids can help a bit, not sure if the extra cost = the savings in fuel.

Double checked using GPS, btw.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I'll be measuring my latest tank today:

1. Ignition upgrade to e-core coil and 12V + large cap.
2. Distributor vacuum advance run from straight manifold vacuum and the advance canister adjusted for no ping.
3. "Blueprinted" the carb - drilled out the idle jets so they would meet the stock specified size, smoothed off all the casting flash from the booster venturi block
4. All emissions and vacuum operated stuff in working order.
5. Just put on new tires and fixed the toe-in problem I saw when I looked carefully at the old tires.

Even so, I don't expect much. My best advice to you is to get a different/additional vehicle. You've got the wrong thing for commuting. Fuel is only going to get more expensive - much more in my opinion. Find an old Geo Metro, Hyundai Accent, etc. If the Jeep is just for offroad or a low miles project vehicle, you should be able to get special insruance rates if you keep it.

I love my Jeep, but you have to accept it for what it is, and its time as a viable DD and commuting vehicle has passed.

Last edited by GWChris : 01-01-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Rabble Rouser

if you dont have that little rubber flap under the front bumper, get one. Its a tiny air dam that will affect airflow and mileage. Probally only effective on non lifted rigs.
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 01-01-2007, 09:17 AM

other than a properly tuned rig,driving habits are the biggest factor in mileage. drive like you have eggs on the pedals,trying not to break them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 01-01-2007, 11:19 AM

mpg

The BIGGEST thing you can do, is correct driving habbits. Like the last post, eggs on the pedals. Let the car coast to the stop sign or stop light. Don't keep your foot on the gas all the way there, then stand on the brake. Plan your accerlerating and braking. Drive constant speed when you can. Good tune, I run Per-Tronix, but any of them are good. Many of the distributors are poorly curved from the factory. A Recurve is a must. Seems like the early points Delco's were curved right originally. Locking hubs, another must, Right tire pressure, Right tire size. Large tires eat gas,brakes, etc. Does you engine breathe properly. Allignment good? Do you need to carry all those spare parts and tools around town with you? Weight is an issue. Does the carb,cam,timing,compression,exhaust all work together? Do you use regular gas instead of Premium. Use the lowest octane you can tune for. I regularly get high 14s around town,and low 17s on the road. 3.31 gears,360 2v, 4 inch lift, 3 in exhaust(too big), locking hubs, 31x10.50 bfg.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Gear Head

This is great thread! I like delivering papers in the Wag so I need economy. Comfort and size and userfriendly(turning radius) are there more economy is a plus!!! So would "quicker" brakes be a plus.
I run synthetic oil every where i can as light as i can. Good grease in u-joints too. Locking hubs are in the near future i hope,only i got a 229.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Grease Monkey

Besides good driving habits and a good tune on the engine there's no much else you could do without spending a lot of money. These J10's and Waggoneers are so unstreamlined I don't think there's nothing you could do to increase or decrease the drag after the airflow gets past that blunt front end. It might increase drag if you opened a door. Detroit has been telling us for a long time that you get better milage with AC than open windows, but when it's been tested it's been found to be untrue until your speed gets to 70 and above, and that's in cars, streamlined quite a bit better than our trucks you know. I remember reading about aircraft crewchiefs in WWII, polishing fighter planes, and gaining 2-3mph, on a 400mph airplane. I seriously doubt keeping your car clean could increase milage 3%, .1% maybe.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:22 PM
350 Buick

OVERDRIVE!

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, Aussie rear, LDS front, 4.10s
http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD
Old 01-01-2007, 03:28 PM
FSJ Maniac

I've really only heard of big mileage numbers (16-17) from guys running manual transmissions. The TC uses up a lot of energy.

Aerodynamics and the loss of power through the drivetrain. It's the common denominator in every vehicle, be it engine powered or people powered. Keep your Wagon tuned and oiled and your tires pumped is about all you can do.

Steve

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL
Old 01-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Shade Tree Shaman

250 miles a week, figure 12 mpg, x $2.50 a gallon = $52.50 weeekly nut for gas.

35 mpg econo box = 17$ for gas. Not to mention the upkeep involved keeping a 20 yr old waggy motating. This is why I dont use my 88 as a DD. Sorry
Old 01-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Grease Monkey

My mileage has been as high as 15, towing, it's usually 11-13. I've never used the truck enough unladen, since i've made several improvements, but before the changes it would get 15 on trips but 12 driving it daily. Last winter I installed a Offy dual-port intake, and went from duals to a 2 into 1 3.5in. single, I made the merge in the exhaust, it's like Late Model circle track cars use. I already had electric fans only for cooling, and synthetic in everything. I run 40 psi in my truck tires and 50 in the trailer. I towed to 22 races this year, the longest tow was 300 miles one way. I wiped the cam on that last long trip and got a low of 10mpg on the leg from Durham NC to Wytheville Va. which included the long hill at the Va- N.C. state line, that was on 7 cyls. I'm overhauling it this winter, next year it'll be better.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 PM

Hey!

....probably not what you expect to read, but have you considered a 'pane conversion?.......

Later!
TF-999 / Dana300
SOA/SRS
36" Iroks
FSJ 44/20
Old 01-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Grease Monkey

sorry for the newb question, but what is the best and most accurate way to check how much or little your mpg is?

buildup thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...854#post519854

www.myspace.com/kamikaze4x4

www.pirate4x4.com

www.njfourwheelers.com
Old 01-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Stanadyne would be better than acetone, but that works too!
HEI would be my first guess to make gains. Or even an MSD box.
Check your tyres. Got pressure? Got radials? Got 4?
Check your tranny fluid. Full? When was it last changed? New filter?
Check your engine. Full? When was it las changed? Weight? Dino, semi syn, syn?
Check your plugs. What are they telling you? Too rich? Tweak the carb a little...
Check your diffs. Full? Correct weight?
You got AC? Do you need it in the winter? Disconnect the pulley for winter use.
Dirty car? A dirty car can reduce milage by about 3-5%.
Windows down? Windows down can cause tremendous amounts of drag. Can reduce milage considerably (think about 7%).
Roof box? Drag.
Underwear? Drag.
Reduce drag, and increase mpg.
Just think about all the additional mpg youve gained while spending about $700! Probably gained a whopping 3 mpg.
Cant think of much more at the moment...any other ideas besides lassoing a tractor?

Underwear causing drag?! By golly, from now on I'm gonna be gettin better fuel mileage! Gonna be a COLD winter.

The proper response to a complex problem is to grab a sword and brutally hack away until the problem stops moving.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:33 PM

at the next fill-up,mark down your mileage. at the fill-up after that,note the mileage and how many gallons it took. divide distance by gallons. accuracy depends on the odometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze4x4nj
sorry for the newb question, but what is the best and most accurate way to check how much or little your mpg is?

Quote:
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 01-01-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart
Underwear causing drag?! By golly, from now on I'm gonna be gettin better fuel mileage! Gonna be a COLD winter.

I once had skid marks in my underwear. That was a drag....

Good luck on the mileage. Expect 10,,,hope for 12mpg. Everything on the truck needs to be perfecto/ specs or better. Especially tire pressure.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:42 PM
FSJ Maniac

I check my mileage at every fillup. I don't do it so much to see what my mileage is exactly, but more to just keep tabs on the 'health' of my Wagon...that and I don't trust my gas guage

If I drop below 10 I know there's something wrong under the hood. In fact, running in 4HI for the last couple weeks (and letting the Wagon run free on the snowy streets ) I am doing a hair over 10mpg. Dry pavement in 2wd and I'm closer to 11-1/2...13 if there's more highway driving involved.

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL