Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
cranky,

I see why you did not take me up on the decals,....
....because you can do it yourself,

I am also impressed with your lettering skills for the gladiator name,
great job on drawing the gladiator logo.

also great job on taping up the jeep letters on the tailgate.

you got a good eye for the details.

tailgate looks really good.

dave in NC

I'll tell you when I was fighting with that fine line tape I was regretting not taking you up on your generous offer. Next time I will go with the tape I know. I actually had to rush because I started masking it then got caught by someone who was likely to complain to management. I wasn't all that worried because management was fully aware of my activities but still don't want to piss people off. Then all hell broke loose and everything went south at work but since it had been recently painted I couldn't put it back under the table where I had been storing it and couldn't leave it at work over night for fear of someone messing with it so I needed to get it back on the truck that day. So every minute of free time and a few that weren't went into getting the paint on the letters in time for it to dry so I could get the tailgate reinstalled before I went home.

I used to draw and paint not just cars and motorcycles but oil on canvas and stuff like that. Today I spent several hours sitting in a truck waiting for things to break which was happening far too frequently but in between fixing stuff I worked on resizing and slightly redesigning the logo once again.

The one I did the other day was a hair over 2 inches high. It's hard to get an idea of scale but this first one is around 1.75" high

and this second one is around 1.5" high. I think this one is pretty close to the original decals and easily fits on a 2" wide piece of masking tape which makes transferring it that much easier.

I will still probably redesign and redraw it a dozen more times before the final paint job making minor subtle changes each time until I'm as happy as I'm going to be.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:27 PM
258 I6

Some time ago my wife ordered new bed panels for my truck. Some time before that she made arrangements for the guy we bought her Mercedes from to do the work on the bed. I would be doing it myself but time is at a premium right now so I agreed to allow him to do the work because I know he will do it right, won't over charge me and I will get my truck back. I've read too many times about someone working on a car or truck trying to steal it. I trust this guy and have seen him turn a Tri-five Chevy convertible from something that looked like it had been left to rot in the woods for the past 50 years to a pristine car in about 2 weeks. He had to replace virtually everything from below the middle of the door so I know he can handle this. Plus I've pretty much gotten my wife onboard about letting me paint it rather than pay someone else to do it and maybe I can find some time to work on her Mercedes.

Anyway, the parts arrived yesterday from a company I have never heard of called Nor/am ( https://www.noramstore.com/ ) even though we ordered them through BJs. Bjs lists them for a lot less than Nor/am but once you factor in shipping it all works out the same. I'd like to say the transaction with BJs went smooth but unfortunately that isn't the case but the parts finally arrived in good shape and my truck can go to the metal man. Hopefully the bed support hat channel I am having custom made will be finished by the time it goes.

Here are some pictures of the new bed panels when they arrived.

This first one is unloading it from the truck

It was kind of a pain because the crate was too long for the drivers pallet jack and when they nailed the "crate" together they used nails that were actually longer then the thickness of the boards so they dragged and snagged on the bed of the truck.

This next one is checking them for shipping damage

The ends of the crate were missing so they were open on the ends and the parts could have easily slid out and gotten damaged, Fortunately they were in good condition.

This is one with a panel held up to the side of the truck

I was very concerned about how they would fit since BJs website has this note about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJs website
**Note: 1963-1973 long-bed models will require modifications to panel in order to fit. The front of this panel is shorter than the original long-bed during those years, and will place the wheel well in a different spot.

but it looks like the wheel well is in the right place to me. It does look like the cutout is about an inch too wide for my flares which makes me wonder if the post '73 flares are slightly larger than Kaiser era flares. I do have enough good metal around the flares that if needed the metal man can work with what I have and it be OK. I don't know if he will cut out bad sections and replace them with sections cut from these panels or replace the entire thing but I'm good either way.

Last is the new bed panels crated back up and loaded into my truck ready to go to the metal man.

These things are heavy and the crate is heavy too but fortunately my neighbor was curious about my delivery so I roped him into helping me load it all into the back of my truck