International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Dizzy gear, HEI, Cam gear, oil pump, questions.,. AHHHHh!#@$

I've searched, and read up and I know I'm suppose to use the old dizzy gear when swapping dizzies. I'm going from stock to HEI. However, my old dizzy gear is missing parts to 2 teeth. Oh yeah, and the new gear is drilled JUST above the old gear, so it cannot cleanly be swapped, but I am afraid if I cross drill the new HEI dizzy, I'll weaken the shaft and have it snap off under load.

I've read that I should "simply" swap in a new cam gear and dizzy gear (matching set), but uh.. the cam gear is buried and its not a project my back wants to work on.

I've also read that problems with the two gears can affect the oil pump, that could explain some pressure issues I've seen after driving for a few miles.

So now, if the oil pump needs to be replaced, as well as the cam gear, I might as well do the cam itself and thats more $$, plus wanting to go FI eventually, I might as well swap in a chevy SB.

Any advice will be well received and pondered.

Thanks in advance

- B
Soon to be NP208
31"s via BFH and Sawzall
Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Master Mechanic

well you could always gamble and just stick the new distributor and gear in there. I did that and the gear lasted fine. Other people have too. However, there's always the chance...

but to do it right, you are going to have to open it up. I would probably risk it... then eventually open it up when it does go bad and replace the gears like you were supposed to...

or you might get away with it!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:43 PM

So just cake it in assembly lube? I'll try that then. Thanks!
Soon to be NP208
31"s via BFH and Sawzall
Old 03-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Gear Head

Thought I read where someone messed up their camshaft by not switching the gear. Can the gear be rotated and a new hole drilled? Someone who knows, chime in.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Master Mechanic

I got lucky once and used mis-matched gears, with no nuclear explosion from the front of the motor. Ran great until my daughter totalled it.

I'd say, if the cam and dist gears appear to both be in good shape, take a chance. But that's me. Working in my garage, I'd chance it. Working for money, I'd change both.
90 Grand Wagoneer, 401/727/229, TFI upgrade, MC4350 4V, Edelbrock Performer cam, All-Aluminum Radiator, Razor Conversion, 4" Rusty's all-spring, 31x10.50 BFG TA/KO's...much planned, little time/money, thus she's a PipeDream!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Master Mechanic

X2 what has already been said.

I'll add that there are several factors to consider here:

The few times that I actually got away with using a new dizzy gear with older cam gear is when I used the stock washer that goes under the distributor, kept the hold-down clamp TIGHT TIGHT and the cam gear was in good shape with NO sharpening of the teeth. This, along with good oiling will reduce the odds of losing both gears.

After having no less than 6 episodes of drive gear failure I REFUSE to take any chances. I bite the bullet and change the timing set (With the Bulltear stuff) and gears so I can drive more than 10 miles from home without the constant worry about WHEN, not IF, they are going to fail. That last round was with the GagOneer, on the interstate, nowhere to pull off and during the morning rush hour.
Murphy's Law says should you roll the dice, and the gears fail, it will likely be at the worst possible moment at the most in-opportune location.....

Good luck!

77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 PM
258 I6

I'm in the same boat. Just last week I ran into the same exact issue. (ebay Dizzy?) Unfortunately I went past the 30 day return policy and have to either throw it in and cross my fingers or suck it up and just do the TFI. (I was really hoping to clean up the engine bay, but oh well.

Good luck!

John
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Administrator

I have gone through the dizzy problems as well. I have miss-matched OLD gears before many times and never had a problem. I have used a new (Crown) gear and had 25% wear in about 10 miles. So now, it is either old, original, used ones or the Bulltear set.

Regardless, be sure to coat the distributor gear with a liberal amount of petroleum jelly before you stab it in.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Jeep Polygamist

I took the old gear off of my stock dist. and installed it on the CRT HEI. I had to mess around with the shims from the stock set up to get it to mesh properly. After a year there are no problems to report. Runs better than it ever did.

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepstress
"Go forth and be a tool".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Wagoneer
This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Master Mechanic

Exclamation my HEI story

i got a reconditioned HEI jeep dizzy off a member here last spring...checked the gear out on it...looked fine...pulled my delco dizzy...gear on it looked ok....Shoot for two points...bong....delco dizzy hits the garbage can....installed the HEI dizzy exactly as it came...hooked up wires and power to it....one year later....still running great....

so like they have said...might be an issue or might not....i told my jeep quite plainly and in simple english the day we installed the dizzy...you freaking break this dizzy....i am selling your carcass to the junk yard....and like i said no problems 1 year later....
Old 03-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Mine is a Jeg's HEI dissy for AMC. they say the gear is not the hardened steal, more iron, so it should be o.k. We'll. I will grease it, stab it in, wire it up and go.

Now onto welding the exhaust manifolds since I removed the emissions stuff
Soon to be NP208
31"s via BFH and Sawzall
Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Grease Monkey

stripped dizzy gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksheepGW
Mine is a Jeg's HEI dissy for AMC. they say the gear is not the hardened steal, more iron, so it should be o.k. We'll. I will grease it, stab it in, wire it up and go.

Now onto welding the exhaust manifolds since I removed the emissions stuff

Ok Fellows I stripped my Dizzy Gear Yesterday. I looked down in the hole and the cam looks fines. Do I need to get a Bulltear set or just replace the dizzy Gear> I do not want to tear it down. Also do I need to put a shim on the dizzy? Where I can I order Parts like Bulltear and shim? Maybe Part #s. Thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlane
Ok Fellows I stripped my Dizzy Gear Yesterday. I looked down in the hole and the cam looks fines. Do I need to get a Bulltear set or just replace the dizzy Gear> I do not want to tear it down. Also do I need to put a shim on the dizzy? Where I can I order Parts like Bulltear and shim? Maybe Part #s. Thanks

Holy DEAD THREAD REVIVAL!!

I'd replace the cam gear, too. If it chewed the distributor gear, it has worn the cam drive gear a little, too. Why chance it. I know, it's a PITA and a lot of work, but that's what I'd recommend. And you can throw on a new timing chain, too.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlane

Sorry to bear bad news but.......
I'd strip it down and replace the cam gear too.

I destroyed the cam gear after installing a HEI dizzy, and it filled the sump with little metal fillings..... not pretty. And not happy

A new matching dizzy and cam gear and an extra 10 hours or so on the tools fixed it (along with a couple of oil and filter changes and sump off and clean out etc).

There's been various discussions on the reasons, from not enough assembly lube, to mismatched gear bevel and cut, to different rockwell hardness of gears, and mis-allignment of machining of cheapo aftermarket timing covers.

Best bet is to get a matching set (ie Bulltear), and use lots of assembly lube. Also make sure the oil gallery on the front of the cam (and cam gear) is clear on reassembly. And the oil thrower on the crank is installed correctly too.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 AM

ok .looks like its been said but match your gears. built a new motor all new parts got matching gears from bulltear. put the one on the cam but figured sences they were all new and the problems id been hearing were about old gears and new dizzy, that i would be fine.boy was i wrong only lasted about 2 weeks before it chewwed up the gear on the cam and jumped timing.needless to say another $100 for gears and all that time taking the front end apart to change the gear(at least it was an amc with the timing gear in front).MAKE SURE THEY ARE MATCHED.this happened about 2 weeks ago.not fun.

86 waggy fresh 360 big bore tbi and all the works fresh727/208 4:27s front locked rear spooled 4'' bjs springs and 2'' body 37s irok(as of now) lots of cuttin.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:29 PM

3nellieb, its all a fun learning experience.
And why we lurve our old trucks so much