International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 PM

For those of you who don't want to buy it online, tell the parts counter person you have a 1993-1995 Grand Cherokee.

You'll get the same part. Comes up Part # CP 1061 from O'Reilly's.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Master Mechanic

Coool we have another part number to go by!!

You are correct Blacksheep, the breather is not capped off. If you turn it over, the plug is an "X" shape that fits in the hole and lets air through. Think of the cap on the outside as a mushroom

Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 PM

Scotty, I owe you a drink if you are ever on teh west coast!!

Oh, and here is a pic of the Jeep you helped me get going. Even with 31s and stock gears, it has plenty of oomph! Especially when I run Premium

Last edited by BlacksheepGW : 07-20-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Master Mechanic

A very sweet ride! And, I'll take you up on that drink when I'm in town

Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 AM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1998
Coool we have another part number to go by!!

You are correct Blacksheep, the breather is not capped off. If you turn it over, the plug is an "X" shape that fits in the hole and lets air through. Think of the cap on the outside as a mushroom

So this cap comes with the canister or is it something im gonna have to find?

Edit: Found it.

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

Texas FSJA!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Grease Monkey

Talking

The part number on the top of the new canister is a Mopar/Jeep number.
Probably from a 93 Grand Cherokee. John
Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Grease Monkey

Im so glad this thread is still going. I tore out the carb yesterday and had a look inside. I found charcoal in around the powervalve and also inside and around the fuel inlet. The mesh filter in the inlet was dirty but not plugged solid.
I dumped the gas out and gingerly cleaned it out with compressed air all around the carb-got it cleaned up. I just rebuilt/dipped it 3 weeks ago. Before the rebuild, I discovered what I thought was hard ball like carbon build up in the same areas as I just described. I didnt know about that black "coffee can" thing on the passenger side fender...charcoal vapor canister is its official name I think. Well thats what I found in the carb last night?!
Then I proceed to pull the cap on the purge valve(being mindful of the spring thanks solely this thread )on the canister and find just a tiny tiny tear on the black rubber diaphram and now Im bummin. But I did figure out whats been ailing my poor wag the whole time...I think.
So my question is, of everybody here thats changed out your charcoal canisters, were any of you having idleing, surging, bogging issues? Because Ive done just about everything else(carb rebuild, replace fuel/vacuum rubber throughout, gutted cat conv., checked float level). It does need plugs and timing adjustment I think, but...
Sorry for the long post BTW
Optima Yellowtop battery
Pretty much all origional/stock and luvin' it
SOLD
Not All Who Wander Are Lost.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:19 PM

Mine had some idle issues and would stall during some acceleration. Its seems good so far. I DID have a vacuum leak, but I fixed that as well. It still idles a bit rough, but I KNOW I need a tune up and maybe a carb clean/rebuild
Old 07-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Master Mechanic

Skinny,

Those were my problems exactly. Surging, weird idle, acceleration wasn't punchy. It would be worse at times/better at others. I could never explain it. I checked and rechecked my vac system. Sometimes I'd find a loose or missing connection and I'd shout, Eureka! only to find that it just dumbed the problem down but didn't fix it entirely. The worst part was chasing the idle adjustment. I'd tune it to where the engine wouldn't stumble so much, take it out on the road, come back and either it would be worse or far too rich. Then I'd lean it out and repeat. Same problem just no richness odor. Uggh. I remember tuning the carb in shopping centers while I'd wait for my wife thinking, this is gonna be the time that I lick this idle thing.

Several board members through the years pointed me to EGR or the Vapor Canister. I knew that the can diaphragm had a hole in it so I coated it with a silicon caulk. That definitely helped but did't fix the problem. And... it never held vacuum. Oh well I thought. Can't get one of these anyway. So I moved onto other things.

So... dopey me does the following. Rebuilds his carb, replaces the EGR, new PCV, replaces all of the vac lines that I could find, upgraded to TFI, made sure I always had brand new air cleaners, replaced my wires and plugs, gapped and regapped the plugs, tightened and retightened the carb to the intake, check for vac leaks, played with the static and vac timing, and on and on. Now, in reality, the rig probably needed all of this done anyway but sheesh, it all came down to a stupid diaphragm? The bottom line is that if I just put more emphasis on the vapor can thing, I could have avoided alot of time and money.

You can test the can. Draw vacuum at the ported vac nipple (at the cap) and it should hold for a while. Or, start the engine up and remove the ported vac hose from the cap. You should not feel any air coming out of the nipple at idle. With mine, I could fill a balloon.

Last edited by scotty1998 : 07-22-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Grease Monkey

Right on guys! I feel like Im chasing the real issue around. It will run nice sometimes and really crappy other times and it is like...what changed to make it run like this???????

So what can I do about the darn diaphram? Would shoo gloo do the trick as a temp. fix? Its my DD and I need it running ASAP. I am going to order a replacement from rockauto.com, but for now what can I do. I have the carb cleaned out and ready to put back on and its literally one little tear in the diaphram(not swiss cheese luckily).
Optima Yellowtop battery
SOLD
Old 07-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Master Mechanic

Shoe goo has worked for some, silicon caulk for other. I think if the rubber isn't too bad, you'll probably have some success. Mine had almost the entie center ring ripped out.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 AM

I called 2 parts suppliers here in Ontario Canada yesterday. One wanted $107.00 CDN and my regular parts guy wanted $80.00 CDN.
Feel fortunate to pay less than half what we here in Canada pay. Unless someone on this side of the border knows of any place cheaper?
Dennis
46 chevy 1 ton
34 Plymouth 5W coupe
Old 07-23-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts
I called 2 parts suppliers here in Ontario Canada yesterday. One wanted $107.00 CDN and my regular parts guy wanted $80.00 CDN.
Feel fortunate to pay less than half what we here in Canada pay. Unless someone on this side of the border knows of any place cheaper?
Dennis

Having read this thread, I decided to check my canister. Wow! Not only did I find the vacuum diaphram leaking on mine (as everyone else's is) but the hose going to the fuel vent was clogged.

A piece of plastic somehow got lodged up in there. This is what was causing the "whooshing" sound when I took the gas cap off, which also I believe was causing the running out of gas like symtoms when my tank was low, but not empty.

Anyways, I ended up ordering the canister from Rockauto.com p/n CP1010 for about $36 plus shipping. However, I just ordered the last one they had , now it doesn't even show up in their system. This part appears to be a direct replacement best I can tell. I think one of the vacuum ports may be larger, but I can adapt it ok.

The GM p/n's for the CP1010 are 17056978, 17063014, & 1706420. These all show to fit 78-81 Pontiacs, Olds & Buick. I don't think the engine size mattered, but don't hold me to it.

Also, I was looking at CP1019 which appeared to be the same as the CP1010, but most of its vacuum ports were bigger. It was priced the same, but last I looked, there was only one left.

Sorry for the long thread, hope this helps.
TH727, NP229, 3.73's with 31' BFG's. BJ's 4" lift with Rancho 9000's
BJ's Aluminum radiator
Black with Burgandy interior.
Tulsa, OK
Old 07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Gear Head

OK so if the stock ones are not available anymore then what is that guy out in California using when he rebuilds the Grand Wagoneers and sales them for 100K. Looking through all his pictures the canisters look brand new. Same as the Wagonmaster guy. Stock Canisters have to be somewhere right?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercert
OK so if the stock ones are not available anymore then what is that guy out in California using when he rebuilds the Grand Wagoneers and sales them for 100K. Looking through all his pictures the canisters look brand new. Same as the Wagonmaster guy. Stock Canisters have to be somewhere right?

Well the one I ordered yesterday "looks" like a stock one. I'll have to post some pics when it comes in. I've too often wondered where all those 100k Wagon parts come from. Maybe they're counterfeit knockoffs made in China
TH727, NP229, 3.73's with 31' BFG's. BJ's 4" lift with Rancho 9000's
BJ's Aluminum radiator
Black with Burgandy interior.
Tulsa, OK
Old 07-23-2009, 03:49 PM
350 Buick

Thumbs up

Excellent!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Gear Head

yes this is great info
Old 07-23-2009, 08:06 PM
304 AMC

Great write-up.. I've needed this for a long time. Definitely a 'tech' article. Well written and with great photos.

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed
Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Master Mechanic

Thanks for the kind words guys. This was one of those components that always bothered me.

Looks like we have some other good parts numbers out there. Keep 'em coming! FWIW, I just checked out CP1019 on Rockauto and that looks like an even better match for the one I spec'd. I wonder if the breather is on the bottom like the original? I'd be curious to find out if someone that bought one wants to post an update.

Last edited by scotty1998 : 07-23-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Grease Monkey

I just bought the CP1019 model so when I get it in I will post some pics of it . For now I was thinking about trying to repair the tiny tiny hole in the diaphram with a bicycle tire repair patch. Has anyone else tried this and does this sound doable?

Im so mad that I missed out on the $30 canister, but everything happens for a reason right?
Optima Yellowtop battery
SOLD