International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 AM
327 Rambler

I saw the burnout video....

hoodlums spinning tires in the parking lot !

I hope no squad cars showed up !

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 06-25-2019, 04:15 PM
232 I6

Maybe a sticky post with burnout videos. I love it.

Hoodlum Wagoneer owners burnout association. A new club.

I know what you mean about the tray of shame. I got mine all together the first time and it began slobbering all over. Turns out my trans guy didn't exactly seal everything I ask him to. It sucks to do all that work and drip,drip,drip. Yanked it all back out and sealed it up and no more drip,drip,drip.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Hey Mr. Rang-a-stang... we to talk about that Javelin in the yard..
Old 07-02-2019, 05:39 PM
350 Buick

I am going to attempt a dual snorkel air cleaner build like rang-a-stang's. I bought one today at the local Pick-n-Pull. It's actually in better shape than the one that's already in my 79.

Last edited by Driftwood : 07-02-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws31
Parts car! No way no how. It is a fine ride that when done, you will love. I said that more than once while cursing at mine. But then I get to drive it and I get thumbs up from other people. Makes me appreciate it more.
Finish her up and drive the wheels [datsun] off of it. The offset does look much better.
That rotor is way out. Don't know if I have ever seen that before.
A burn out video, wooohooo. Now that makes me want to go do one and post it up.
Do it!!! Post a burnout video! We ALLlllll love them. The pictures make my rig look much better than it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthebeatenpath
I'm about to do the same with mine, we'll be gone for a couple weeks.... I'm so close to firing it back up! But, it'll have to wait. I'm short a couple radiator hoses yet anyway.
I've had the same thought about the "parts car" and the time and money I have into this.... it's hard to find a place to stop bleeding money.
That burnout is great! It sounds great!
Your's is much nicer, much straighter, much more in demand than a WT Cherokee. Thanks! I love doing burnouts but now that my son knows it's capable, I will have to pull some timing out of it so he doesn't do it when he's driving it! LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneer Taylor
BURNOUTS!!! Thats awesome buddy, this thing will be a blast to drive around and I cant wait for you to just be out enjoying it!
You and me BOTH!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
I saw the burnout video....
hoodlums spinning tires in the parking lot !
I hope no squad cars showed up !
dave in NC
I have been called worse, that's for sure! I'll take it. No squad cars, just some hoodlums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws31
Maybe a sticky post with burnout videos. I love it.
Hoodlum Wagoneer owners burnout association. A new club.
I know what you mean about the tray of shame. I got mine all together the first time and it began slobbering all over. Turns out my trans guy didn't exactly seal everything I ask him to. It sucks to do all that work and drip,drip,drip. Yanked it all back out and sealed it up and no more drip,drip,drip.
Yep. This rig has marked it's spot since I bought it. It seems it wants to mark it's spot more than I want to fix those leaks so it may just win that battle.
I like the idea! (sticky post with burnout videos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC/397
Hey Mr. Rang-a-stang... we to talk about that Javelin in the yard..
I wish I had more data. If you want the shop owners number I can PM it to you but I didn't get the number of the Javelin owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
I am going to attempt a dual snorkel air cleaner build like rang-a-stang's. I bought one today at the local Pick-n-Pull. It's actually in better shape than the one that's already in my 79.
Sweet! Post up some pics!!!
OK, split the case and pulled it out. Everything down there is coated in ATF since it is dripping out the rear output, onto the yoke and flung all over the place.

This goes without saying but pulling the case apart in the truck makes it 186.3% easier to remove. this was about an hour's worth of work. I really do love that I can work on it without jacks. It's also nice that none of my hardware is seized. I have pulled this case enough that I know what combination of extensions is needed for which bolts. Makes working on it much faster. Although everything is oily (ATF'ey), nothing is coated in road grime and again, makes working on it much nicer.

Well here's the like I caused between the case and trans. wiley-moe and driftwood called this leak out, EXACTLY:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=187382
You can see the damage I caused to the seal by letting the case rest on the trans output shaft while I tried to install it.

I found some LOOONG bolts to use as alingment dowels when I re-install it. I hope to clean the forward half of the case tonight, cut the bolts into dowels, and get it installed. Tomorrow I will clean the sprockets, chain, and rear half, install the output seal, and get that installed. Then, hopefully, Friday, I will install the reduction unit, fill the fluid, and re-adjust my rockers (AGAIN) and take it for another spin but hopefully I won't hemorrhage ATF from my xfer case this time. I have slow going becuase I am also painting one of our bathrooms for the wife and it had mold so I also enjoying some dry wall work at the same time. Annoyed.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 07-29-2019, 10:32 AM
360 AMC

Thumbs down

Sorry, no Juicy pictures today.

Saturday my Daily drive broke it's upper motor mount sending the engine down into the bottom of my engine bay. That tore a power steering hose and my A/C stopped working. Parts don't get here until Wed so the need for my Jeep to be on the road became real.

This weekend I spent a lot of time on my Xfer case and trans. It's all in the link above between the 2 pictures. I drove it to work today and it cruised pretty nice. I am backfiring above about 60MPH and and when cruising over 50MPH. I will get some new plugs and a better Dizzy cap on the way home from work. I also took data and will update my fuel tables before I head home. I am in the ball park with this guy. It's usable but not reliable yet. I still hear my rockers, too. I adjusted them to .04" preload (4/5's a turn vs. 1/2 turn) and that didn't really make a difference. It really bothers me hearing them. I feel like they are pounding on my cam lobes...
Old 08-02-2019, 03:16 PM
360 AMC

Drove my Jeep to work Monday. Other than backfiring over 50MPH, it seemed to cruise OK. As I was cruising in the gate to base, I noticed my Voltmeter only showing about 12 volts. I figured, "Meh, cheap gauge doesn't know what it's talking about." I also took data and burned a new tune at work and installed that on the way home.

After work, I drove to a plumbing store for some stuff and my truck wouldn't start after. Dead battery. Guess my voltmeter knew EXACTLY what it was talking about. I killed my rectifier. Waiting on parts again. More money out of my pocket. More waiting around. More time wrenching on stuff I would rather no wrench on.
Alternator thread with pictures

Some good news, I found some carpet on Craigslist. Its the ACC front kit with extra sound backing, never installed, light tan color, for $25! It's not the color I want but for $25, why not?
Old 08-05-2019, 11:17 AM
360 AMC

Swapped spark plugs this weekend while I wait for my new bridge rectifier. They looked pretty good (they better)! The picture makes them look cleaner than they were but they were still pretty clean. These are Autolite platinums with about 5K miles total on them. I am sure they have plenty of life left in them but I swapped to Autolite copper core. I want to make sure I "know" I have good plugs as I tune.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:43 PM
360 AMC

Got my new rectifier today and swapped it into my Alt. Check this old one out! Geesh! That was hot!

AAAannndd... I met a cool dude from Craigslist and gots me some solid rear flares! Woooo hooooo!!! I have been looking for solid rear flares at a decent price since I bought my rig. My only rust is in my flares and my passenger side flare is munched. These are not perfect flares but they are in good shape and he gave me a good deal (not a steal but a good deal and I had to cut them out). It also felt good cutting them out because the rig I was cutting on was indeed a turd and not worth saving. It was odd becuase the drivers side took a good hour to cut out and about 6 grinder wheels because the front rocker had been replaced and it was welded in all sorts of odd places. The passenger side took 2 wheels and about 15 minutes.

I'll get them stripped, removed from the left over quarter skin and will probably just prime them and safely store them for now. I have tastier deserts to eat before I even start to think about swapping flares.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 PM
327 Rambler

SCORE !!!
dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
360 AMC

OK, this weekend I finally got my Alternator installed. It took a new Rectifier and a new voltage regulator. Both of the units I bought are "Heavy Duty" units by Transpo and supposedly high quality. I wrapped my header tube before I installed the alt, too. I am holding off on the heat shield for now. But I did create a burly ground wire.

I have 14.3 volts across the battery at idle, with the fan running. I did not try the headlights or any other loads.

I took it for a spin and it is still backfiring out the exhaust. I have new Autolite copper core plugs, new 8mm RFI supressed wires, a new brass terminal cap, and a new rotor. Its odd because it only does it when I am over about 50MPH. When I am cruising around town, it's pretty awesome and runs great. Get over 50 and I can hear/feel backfiring.

Next thing I am looking at. This is what my headliner looks like:

I think this is why:

All 6 brackets are like this.

I have the new rubber cinch nut things from BJs to re-seal these and hope to get to that before the end of this month. My plan is to remove the whole roof rack, wet sand/buff/polish the roof, then carefully re-install the roof rack. I will probably have my son take some polish to it but know it will only get marginally better. When it's on, I may try to copy Driftwood:
Driftwood's headliner thread
Or I may just save my money for a few months and bite the expensive bullet and buy the BJs kit. I don't know yet. My Mazda needs a new timing chain and variable valve actuator ($500 and a weekend to do it myself). I can also still hear my lifters at idle when the engine is at operating temp and it REALLY bothers me.