International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Suspension and Steering

Old 09-05-2007, 02:08 PM

What about D60 SOA?

I'm getting ready to put a cummins turbo diesel drivetrain in my '82 Cherokee. I'm going to put the D60 axles in my cherokee and at the same time I wanted to do a SOA conversion. Will I need the high steer kit for the D60, and does it take the same knuckle? I'm guessing that it's not the same knuckle as the 44, so what problems will I run into with this conversion? Where can I get the parts, or should I leave it a spring under axle?
Thanks for your help,
Ryan
Old 09-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

d60 is different knuckles, they are easier to make high steer arms for than the d44 knuckles.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Master Mechanic

High steer arms are plentiful for D60's. Many people on this board have D60's, including me, so you can find many steering solution writeups if you take a look around. High steer or crossover are your stock solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjeep44
After this weekend chicks are gonna need suspenders to keep their panties up when I roll in
Old 09-09-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNCHMOB
I'm getting ready to put a cummins turbo diesel drivetrain in my '82 Cherokee. I'm going to put the D60 axles in my cherokee and at the same time I wanted to do a SOA conversion. Will I need the high steer kit for the D60, and does it take the same knuckle? I'm guessing that it's not the same knuckle as the 44, so what problems will I run into with this conversion? Where can I get the parts, or should I leave it a spring under axle?
Thanks for your help,
Ryan
You have a front D60 that is SUA?
I guess that happened on some rigs, not sure?
What rig did the D60's come from?

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadsal
You have a front D60 that is SUA?
I guess that happened on some rigs, not sure?
What rig did the D60's come from?

No, the D60's are coming out of a '98 dodge diesel 4x4. It has a coil over front suspension and my '82 cherokee has a D44 SUA, so I will have to convert the D60 to SOA or SUA. My cherokee 75% DD and 25% trail rig. I hope to do these mods and raise that trail rig percentage up some, but I want it to be safe for me and my family on the highway. Any input is welcome.
Ryan
Old 09-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Gotcha, I'm just not much up on D60's.
Quote:
I want it to be safe for me and my family on the highway
Either SOA or SUA can be safe on or off road when setup properly.
This thread dealt primarily with D44 steering, which I find quite safe SOA on the highway, I'm sure a D60 can have the same if not better handling characteristics.
As long as mods are done correctly and with proper planning there's no reason not to have both worlds.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Old 09-11-2007, 01:15 PM

While we are on steering solutions, has anyone ever used a rack and pinion setup on there full size jeep? I don't know much about them, but my buddy asked if I had thought about it. Obviously I hadn't.
Thanks,
Ryan
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Gear Head

I am planning to go SOA on my 77 Wagoneer. I know that I will probaly need to do a High Steer adjustment on it. I just dont know what kit to buy. If I go with just the Arms then I will have to buy new tie rod ends/arms. In the end it will be close to the same price as the kit from BJ's off road that has the tie rod ends and includes a nuckle that has the high steer built it to it. I guess I just need to look everything over. I have the knowledge needed to do this type fo mod.

Is there any one out there that wished that they had just bought the kit instead of trying to peice everything together? Or vise-versa?

Thanks

MAHA
Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNCHMOB
While we are on steering solutions, has anyone ever used a rack and pinion setup on there full size jeep? I don't know much about them, but my buddy asked if I had thought about it. Obviously I hadn't.
Thanks,
Ryan

I actually am still trying to figure out how I can make that work.
if you mount it on the axle to get perfect steering, you will need to figure out a collapsable flexible shaft to connect to the steering column so you can still flex it and steer.
with some borgesson ujoints and some kind of slip joint double D or square.
I can figure a setup if I know I can find the parts to do it.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Is there any one out there that wished that they had just bought the kit instead of trying to peice everything together?
Not that I regret going full high-steer but I may take the wag back to cross-over so I can move the front axle forward without tie rod/drag link issues (see post in Off-Road section by Bob Barry).

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:

Old 09-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

For me it was far cheaper to go the parts sourcing route, i am into my hi-steer, 30$ for the steel i made the hi steer arms out of. nothing to mill/drill/tap them. i am running the stock cherokee wide track arm's going from the steering box to the knuckles, the one that goes steering box, passenger side tie rod and one big tie rod, even with my hd44 chevy swap i still have enough adjustment in the stock w/t tie rod to adjust my tie rod with plenty. then i just have to take my DPA out and install my stock PA and it will be perfect. oh and 30$ or so for the 4" long stud kit
Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Gear Head

Dose any one have a template for the Pass Side Steering Arm with the 2 holes on the front and spacers? I know some one that can cut them out here I just need to have a correct to scale template.

I am going to run cross over steering with the option to go full high steer.

Tad, Where did you get the shock mounts you are using? I would like more information about them. The one that look like they are welded to the top of the axle tube.

Thanks

MAHA

Last edited by Mahamotorworks : 09-21-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

there is no "diagram" for the actuall arms, all you have to do is take the diagram for the knuckle drilling postition(I think its posted here if not its elsewhere on the net) take that, use the same locating point(center of ball joint hole) and whatever piece of steel you are going to use make it identical from the ball joint hole to the drilled/tapped location and then make it come out the same distance or so as the originall tie rod location(should be around 9" total from back back of material out. If your having someone do it i would strongly recommend not doing 2 seperate pieces of material one for a spacer and one for the arm itself(more stuff to go wrong) instead of one mating surface you have 2. if this guy can make you arms he can do it out of a solid chunk of metal(what ever size you need to clear your leafs) mine was 2x3" square solid steel, i used a metal cutting bandsaw to cut out the shape then milled out the rest.

pm if your interested in having me make some, it wont have the hammer marks, that had to do with my mill/drill/tap screw up on that knuckle.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:47 PM

Time to put this in the archives.
Sorry I have been slacking.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote: