International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Suspension and Steering

Old 01-06-2004, 10:44 AM
JB Welder

Quote:
Originally posted by racer32:
is it absolutely neccessary to get a drop pitman arm with a 4" lift?
NO!

I run 4" Superstiff springs with no DPA and I have no bump steer.

Qualification:
It is quite possible (likely) that the reason that I have no bumpsteer is somewhat related to the Superlift "springs." You see, the concept of bumpsteer is that when the vehicle hits a bump, it compresses the suspension and changes the effective length of the draglink. However, seeing as I have yet to hit a bump that could compress those monster, POS, superthick leaves Superlift calls "springs," I have no problem with bumpsteer. My advice to those considering Superlift "springs" -> install a piece of 4x6 steel in place of your springs. It will give you the same ride quality and will be cheaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Outback Jeep:
Ryan, this is not subjective. When a person has been the four wheel drive industry as long as I have things start to becoming fact rather than opinion.
Brian - I think you may be coming across a little bit condescendingly here. I don't own BJ's springs and I am a far cry from the point where I would call them (or any other springs) the best springs out there, HOWEVER, your opinion, is not fact. No matter how long you have been in the industry.
Welcome to the board, and I hope you decide to stay and contribute to this awesome forum, but you may find the waters here a smidge more accomodating if you can manage to tone it down a hair. Even your signature line is a bit arrogant...to say you are the leader in FSJs, when I for one have never even heard of you...just my $.02

PS to Racer32 - feel free to come test drive my rig to see how you like driving with a 4" and no DPA.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:29 PM
FSJ Maniac

Lets tone down the reteric (sp?) and get back to the comparisons on a technical level or I will close this thread. I would like to place this in the archives but don't want a pissing match between businesses. OKAY, Thank you for your support.
DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
www.cbioffroadfab.com
WWW.PLANET4X4.NET
Old 01-06-2004, 02:55 PM

I have the BDS kit on my Wag and love it. Good on the street and pretty good flex. Highly recommend BDS.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:47 AM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

Every time i have ever used BDS springs ive bent them EVERY TIME!! I am NOT HAPPY WITH BDS. I used to get prototypes from them (cj 6") And they have always bent.(maybe i wheel too hard) Ive seen good and bad come from the factory even with material certifications, so most posts here are reflrctive opinions and not fact in my eyes, We could tally up the amount of customers who have been happy with their lift from each manufacturer and we would find that the longest running would have the most, on the other side of teh coin we could tally up all the guys who were unhappy with their lift and we would find the longest one out there would probly have the most...anyway you stack it it will be the bj's kit for me..I havent heard a gripe about them yet
"We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"
Old 01-07-2004, 03:02 AM
FSJ Maniac

i wished i could find a rear spring that dont bend :/
i have bent rough country,and rancho springs,not to mention stock!!!!
i am wondering if some one could make a military wrap spring that dont bend or break????? that way it has two main springs to work with,but allow some flex!
Old 01-07-2004, 03:17 AM
Propane Protagonist

Quote:
Originally posted by Sambo:
i wished i could find a rear spring that dont bend :/
i have bent rough country,and rancho springs,not to mention stock!!!!
i am wondering if some one could make a military wrap spring that dont bend or break????? that way it has two main springs to work with,but allow some flex!
I agree. Some military wrap spring for our rigs would rock! Unfortunately, being the cheap bastich I am, I wouldn't be able to afford them, but if one of the manufacturers on the forum did make some, I hope that enough of you hardcore guys and gals would buy enough of them to bring the cost down in to my budget.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!
Old 01-07-2004, 04:14 AM
304 AMC

OK I will assist in solving the arguement. Each company send me a set of their lift kits, as complete as they would be if bought by someone off the street. I will install each on a vehilce, ride around and test them. Them I will provide a full write up on the kits. For my trouble and time solving this situation the kits become mune to dispose of as I see fit Hows that? So who's first...I'm waiting LOL
"PsyOp" 87 Grand Wagoneer, 360, Powered by Propane, NP-208 t-case, Dana 60 front 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker, Corp 14 bolt 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker. Alcan Springs up front, Chevy 63", Hydraulic Steering

Under Construction: 4 link rear suspension, Klune-v and Ford 205 transfer case
Old 01-07-2004, 06:12 AM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

nice idea i am second in line behind merc
Old 01-07-2004, 06:55 AM

Hey now, I started this thread. I should be first.
RyPhil<br /><br />1986 GW DD BJ\'s 4\" lift and she\'s gotta nice rack!<br /><br />1953 Glasspar G2 in pieces in the back yard but used to be my DD<br /><br />And now a 2004 Mazda3. Its got air conditioning. I know all you folks in AZ are jealous!
Old 01-07-2004, 07:00 AM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

no way i am going to be third on this one i was second out of all fairness merc should be third. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2004, 10:34 AM
304 AMC

It was my idea and besides being a trained investigator and extensive report writing skills and being completly impartial who better LOL
"PsyOp" 87 Grand Wagoneer, 360, Powered by Propane, NP-208 t-case, Dana 60 front 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker, Corp 14 bolt 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker. Alcan Springs up front, Chevy 63", Hydraulic Steering

Under Construction: 4 link rear suspension, Klune-v and Ford 205 transfer case
Old 01-07-2004, 11:40 AM

I have the Rusty's 4" lift and 35" Pro-Comp X'Terrains but I also have a W/T Cherokee, 1978, and 1 1/2: blocks on the rear and Revolvers in the front. I did have to trim the wheel wells anyway. I ramp a 756 on a 20 degree ramp though. If you have a Narrow Track you have your work cut out to clear 35's with only 4" of lift.

Gary Holmes
Old 01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Grease Monkey

i think we should all suport bjs and the companys that sell more fsj products
Old 01-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by jode:
...to say you are the leader in FSJs, when I for one have never even heard of you...just my $.02
that's what i was thinkin...

he does seem to have a little "tude" in his text too....
Old 01-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Grease Monkey

I recently got the skyjacker system with the 4 leaf springs, 4 shocks, and accessories for around $950 at 4 wheel parts, did not have to pay shipping since the store was near by.

They botched up my order three times but that is an other story.

I got skyjacker for their reputation in these archives and they do have a great customer relationship.

Otherwise my vote is for bj's based on their commitment to our fsjs. them is good people. Very kind and knowledgable and dont forget those dozer bumpers man!!

Now that my lift is installed I wonder if one would notice much difference between each kit?

Even Skyjacker can be quite bouncy if not installed right, so many variables, I am still trying to get mine worked out.
1989 Grand Wagoneer, 3:31 - MSD 6A - TFI upgrade - blaster coil - K&N Air filter - Optima yellow top - 8.5mm plug wires - Skyjacker 4" lift system with hydro shocks - tadrack - Removable Grant mahogony steering wheel - Bridgestone Dueller revo 31x10.5x15 - Wood paneling in cargo area.

http://www.studiobeylerian.com
Old 01-16-2004, 01:49 AM

Racer 32,
I'm sorry you have never herd about us, and for sounding like I have attitude. Perhaps my writing ability is not at the caliber everyone eles is at. My intention was only to lay information out on the table. Is there someting you would like to know about my self and/or the Outback Jeep staff.

For those comparing prices, the BDS 4" full spring kit is cheeper than the Skyjacker price mentioned above.

Brian Matthiesen
Outback Jeep---The Leader in Full Size Jeeps
Old 01-16-2004, 02:11 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

So... I take it nobody has tried my idea of using stock Comanche MJ leaves on the rear of their Jeep yet?
Old 01-16-2004, 02:48 AM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

support your local community. hey outback got a buy page up yet?
Old 01-16-2004, 05:14 AM
Master Mechanic

i just installed bjs 4 inch on mine in case anyone wants to drive it around and see if they like it let me know