International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Topic Of The Month

Old 09-22-2004, 03:29 PM

A few years back, probably around 6 or 7, I saw a FSJ, in a magazine or on TV, with a custom made rear bumper. It was built with Heavy duty casters into the corners of the bumper, so when his departure angle wasn't good enough, he just set the rear bumper down on the rock and rolled it off. Any body on this board ever do something like this?

[ September 22, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Jason H. Rea ]
Old 09-24-2004, 02:50 AM
Propane Protagonist

it was grey 4 door chero in moab. I remember that too. I think that in reality, the casters would break after the third or forth time you hammered them on a rock, and as tiny as the are, they'd porbably hook on stuff, like cracks in the rocks you wanted to roll over, and they really do steal a few degrees from your approach and departure angle. I think that if I saw my angles as an issue and I couldn't chop off metal to improve it, I'd probably build some bumpers that could slide instead of roll.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!
Old 10-19-2004, 02:48 AM
Master Mechanic

Cool

I just saw fulmetal’s rig at Chiva Falls trail ride and he has two rollers spaced a few inches apart in the center of the rear bumper. I am going to add rollers when I fab an off road bumper.

My off road buddies here at work have been using them for years and they work well. Added to the front bumper they give you a good start up vertical boulders that ordinarily would have your bumper hitting the rock creating resistance. His are also located so that approach angles are controlled. He can rest his rig positioned almost straight up without flipping over because the tires and the rollers create a four point stance on the ground, sorta like a bump stop.

’86 J20
SOA, Dana 60's, F/R Lockers
Full High Steer, Ram Assist
Bunch of Other Stuff
Old 10-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Señor Jackhead

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by J-truck Thing:
it was grey 4 door chero in moab. I remember that too. I think that in reality, the casters would break after the third or forth time you hammered them on a rock, and as tiny as the are, they'd porbably hook on stuff, like cracks in the rocks you wanted to roll over, and they really do steal a few degrees from your approach and departure angle. I think that if I saw my angles as an issue and I couldn't chop off metal to improve it, I'd probably build some bumpers that could slide instead of roll.
I have wondered about this too... There is a grey Wag in Moab we saw a couple years ago. It has J20 axels, fenders and rear flares. It is beat up pretty good too. Maybe this is the rig you saw? It has 3 link with coils and is very Moab capable.

Steve, that Bronc looks pretty good too!

[ October 20, 2004, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: Flint ]
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s and a few Evil Twin mods, http://eviltwinfab.com and a few TT's Fabworks mods, http://www.ttsfabworks.com
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
Old 10-21-2004, 03:29 AM
Propane Protagonist

That could be it! I sweared it wuz a 4-door chero though, but I haven't seen the pic or read the article in years.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:50 AM
FSJ Maniac

So way not make a Spinning bumber that acts like a giant caster? would not be hard to do, some tubing and WaLa!!!!