International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-22-2019, 03:13 PM
304 AMC

What seal should I replace, leak between QT and TH400

I see fluid oozing down the TH400 adapter from my xfer case. When my xfer case was empty, the leak stopped. I added fluid to my xfer case and it started back up so it must be coming from my case.

On the back of the QTrac xfer case, there is the gasket that looks like the foot print of the adapter (it's there on mine), the seal that presses into the case (seals the transmission output shaft), and a large rubber seal (like an O-ring) that fits in there, too. (right?)

Should I expect to replace all 3 of them? I think I remember seeing a weep hole back there and maybe it's coming out of that?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 06-22-2019, 04:55 PM
All Makes Combined

When was the last time they were done? Do the entire case, but create a custom thicker "footprint" gasket out of 1/32" gasket sheet via stencil.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Quadratrac...it_p_1599.html

The Southern California FSJ forum
Old 06-22-2019, 04:59 PM
350 Buick

Its most likely the 2 seals for the input are leaking. there is a hole in between the 2 seals for that weep hole so when fluid goes past it goes out the weep hole on the ground. do not plug the hole like some people do it will leak out around the seal then. you will have to pull the case, replace the seals. the seals go in backwards to what you think, the inside seal will have the solid surface to the front of vehicle and push it in far enough to clear the weep hole, the other seal will have the solid surface facing rear of vehicle, just in enough so the weep hole is not covered. you can use or not use the gasket in between the adapter and transfer case. now you need to be very careful installing the transfer case so it goes in straight and level so it does not damage the seals( very important).
Old 06-22-2019, 06:08 PM
304 AMC

I swapped them a few months ago when my truck was torn apart but I am SURE I messed it up. I have a strong feeling I put them in backward (from what Tim said) AND I did have a tough time getting the case to line up when I was installing it so I probably boogered them good when I was man handling it to get it in. I was super careful and made sure it was seated correctly because another member (bkilby) cracked his case when he was torquing his down because it was not seated correctly.

I have another issue to fix that will require me to split the case so when I do, I will do exactly like you guys say (make my own thicker gasket, put the seals in correctly, install it correctly). When I put it back together, I will install the forward half of the case first and use home made guide pins so it goes on correctly, then install the chain/sprockets, put the halves back together, and finish it up.

Thanks guys. It will be at least a month before I touch it again, though. In the mean time, it's parked with the tray of shame under it, collecting a nice red puddle.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 06-22-2019, 08:04 PM
350 Buick

I never installed the gasket when I refurbished my QT. It didn't have one when I removed the QT from the TH400. Your seals are suspect.
Guide pins are crucial. Don't want to damage the seals with the shaft.

I was able to install the entire QT with the front drive line attached. All while laying underneath the 79. It required SHEER determination to get'r done. I also had to remove the fuel tank for QT installation clearance.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:14 PM
350 Buick

I also used a cheap transmission Jack from Harbor freight to lift and align the QT.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:45 AM
Señor Jackhead

The true 79 QuadraTracs did not use a paper seal between adapter and QT because they use a big O-ring seal that sets in a grove on the sealing surface of the QT. AFAIK, 79 was only year for this. This O-ring does not come with seal kits. You can source it though I have not had to find one yet myself.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s and a few Evil Twin mods, http://eviltwinfab.com and a few TT's Fabworks mods, http://www.ttsfabworks.com
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20