International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
327 Rambler

1970 Jeep Gladiator 1 Ton 6BT 12V Cummins Build

Excuse the long-winded intro. I need to give credit where it’s due. If you want to get to the meat and potato’s jump to the next post. I waited until now to start the thread because I wanted to be sure I could actually pull this off before embarrassing myself.

First off I need to give some well deserved credit to BJ’s Offroad. www.bjsoffroad.com I got lucky enough that I can easily drive to BJ’s from where I live and bug Brent on a moment’s notice. Seriously, without all the help, knowledge, willingness to price match, and willingness to get non-FSJ parts from Brent this project NEVER would have made it this far. If anyone is doing any kind of project they should seriously consider contacting BJ’s.

Some other notable mentions:
Clover Park Technical College rebuilt both differentials, transmission and transfer case. A lot of the time schools won’t install aftermarket parts. Wayne, the instructor in the Drivetrain Program, jumped right onboard when he heard where I wanted to go with the project. Kurt and Greg, in the Auto Body Program. They painted the frame and did the sheet metal work on the cab. Note- This is an academic institution and the students needs come first and foremost. If you approach them don’t be surprised if they turn down your work. I got VERY LUCKY.

A skilled professional welder for all the welding of critical components (things that can kill you) and other work.

Justin and Dennis at Metal Supermarket on 100th, in Lakewood.

Ron at Hi-Strength Bolt on 100th , in Lakewood.

Also, some others that have treated me right:

4 Wheel Parts, Tacoma and Portland

Discount/America’s Tire, Tacoma and Portland

RE Electric, Tacoma, WA

Tacoma Speedometer, Tacoma, WA

All the craigslister’s that bought, sold, and swapped with me

And others I’m sure I’m forgetting at this time.

A SpecialNote:
Ballistic Fabrication- After placing my first order in November, 2011, I learned that Ballistic had developed a bad reputation. After learning this I basically thought if I get screwed I just won’t use them again. Let me tell you that they’ve been making huge efforts to correct the problems they were having. I’ve now ordered from them 5 times. Every order has been correct and shipped immediately. The one snafu I did have(minor) I sent an email on a Sunday about getting it corrected. Dave replied within 1 hour from his iphone saying i twould be fixed. The little replacement part was in the mail before 10AM the next morning. I’ve spoke with several of them on the phone. They openly admit that they did have troubles and are doing everything they can to “earn customers trust back” (their words, notice earn). I’m a pretty good read of people and I believe each one of them are sincere in this desire. Just my take on them so far.

Edited on 13 July 2012 to give some thanks and free advertising to more people and businesses.

I’m now well into rebuilding and finishing the engine. The following businesses have really leaned forward to help me out. All of them are top-notch companies. Most of them I have used in the past and the ones I’m trying for the first time have outstanding reputations. In dealing with all of them their reputations are well earned.

In no particular order:

Once again, BJ’s Offroad.

The machine shop at Napa on Pacific and 96th,in Tacoma, WA.

Remflex Gaskets- I’ve used them in the past and love them. This time I needed an exhaust manifold gasket in a hurry and they went above and beyond to get it to me.

Performance Coatings, in Auburn, WA.- I’ve used them in the past. They do an outstanding job and every time I’ve used them it’s been a pleasure.

Turbo Technologies- They helped hook me up with some of the misc exhaust pieces I needed, as well as knowledge, advice, and expert opinions.. Edit addition- Since first writing this TT stepped up and did A LOT of the welding on my exhaust. THANK YOU.

BD Diesel Performance- I can’t say enough about the positive experience I’ve had dealing with them. I made a road trip up to their facility in BC, Canada, to drop off my cores and pick up my new parts. They took me on a tour and went out of their way to help me get the most bang for my buck.

Colt Cams, in BC Canada- This is my first time dealing with them. They come highly recommended by BD Diesel Performance and I stopped by their shop to drop off my cam went I road tripped to BD Performance. Geoff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable and helped me spend my money wisely.

Bud's Machine Shop, in Lakewood, WA. They've been around for decades, have an outstanding reputation, and have done somereally top-notch engines.

Larry B's- http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/ Larry B's makes some really nice products andthe website does a really good job of explaining why they fail, or appear tohave failed when they haven't. I got lucky and live near enough I drove to hisshop to pick up my parts. Larry is extremely nice and VERY knowledgeable. Plus,I'm impressed with his products. When all was said and done, I left his shopwith a solenoid, relay harness, fusable link, "Solenoid-Saver" diode,and heavy duty starter contacts. I highly recommend checking his stuff out.

If I’ve missed anyone I feel bad and will edit them in if I think of them. Every business and person I’ve dealt with has been a pleasure.

Last edited by Resbum : 11-19-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM
327 Rambler

June 24th, 2011. The build begins after a year of research and gathering parts. It's starting out as a 1970 3/4 ton Camper Special, Custom Cab, 3407Z, Jeep Gladiator Pickup

Four days later it looked like this

Temporarily place engine and drivetrain. 1994 12V Cummins 6BT. 1994 47RH transmission. 1991 NP205 transfer case.

Now I need to make all of this fit. I had to open the body mounts and radiator pillars 4 inches, cut 2 rows off the top of the after cooler, and trim a bunch of sheet metal.

Last edited by Resbum : 02-10-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:57 PM
327 Rambler

Last edited by Resbum : 07-13-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
327 Rambler

Next, cut off the fan and place 1 ½ inches behind radiator fans, center and level, then lock it down.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:00 PM
327 Rambler

Now fabricate trans crossmember, replace OEM hardware with bigger grade 8 hardware, trans and engine mounts.

The nut and washers in the middle were the original OEM size

Last edited by Resbum : 02-10-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM
327 Rambler

Now, cut away the old and replace with a 1991 Front Dana 60HD out of a Dodge W350, converting it to under frame spring mounts. The springs are from the same Dodge and got re-ached and new bushings. The rear axle is the original full-float Dana 60 and it got the same under frame spring mount conversion. The under frame conversion added 5 ¾ inches of lift. Both axles are now running Detroit TrueTrac’s, G2 4.11 gears, and Dutchman 1.5 inches 35 spline chromoly axles.

These shackle mounts eventually got replaced with Ballistic Fabrication mounts that have bushings in them.
I adjusted the jack stands to the new ride height. Yeah Baby!, 22 inches of ground clearance at the trans crossmember.

Last edited by Resbum : 02-10-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 PM
327 Rambler

This is a jig I made to set the front caster and tilt of the rear differential. I'm proud of this creation. I could accurately measure changes of .1 degrees with it.

Level the chassis then go from there

Here it's aligned front to rear. With all the weight of the engine/trans/TC compressing the spring I kept adding and taking away blocks between the spring and the frame until I got caster where I wanted it. Then I measured from the frame to the spring eye. That's the measurement I used to make the shackles and mounts.

The lines are 1 degree, the dimples are .2 degrees. Here the caster is set to 3.4 degrees

Last edited by Resbum : 02-10-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
327 Rambler

Now everything gets stripped off, the frame gets scrubbed and pressure washed, and it’s off to media blasting, welding, and paint.

The frame got two rounds of welding. First all the trans, motor, and suspension mounts. Then I took the frame home painted behind the areas that I then boxed in with tack welds. While welding the first round the welder noticed the frame was cracked around the old steering box mount. So I decided to lower the steering box 1 ½ inches while fixing the frame. Then it went back for round two of welding.

Last edited by Resbum : 09-07-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
327 Rambler

The finished product.

Both the welder and I didn't like the number of holes Jeep had in the frame between the motor mounts and the front end, so plates were added along the inside of the rails

Boxed from the trans cross member back to the next cross member

It also got boxing between the rear spring mounts and the bed attachment mounts

Last edited by Resbum : 02-10-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:10 PM
327 Rambler

My homemade media blasting booth. After 3 days of media blasting parts I now rank media blasting right up there with fiberglass work. IT HAS A HUGE SUCK FACTOR!!!. No matter how careful you are you end up with media in every nook, crevice, and cranny in your body.

Front axle blasted and painted. Ready for final assembly.

The NP205 rebuilt, converted to twin-stick and ready for install

The axles and all their parts. In this pic the rear axle still needs to have some tabs welded on. Notice all four hubs are disc brakes.

Last edited by Resbum : 02-10-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 PM
327 Rambler

Next I placed the rear axle under the frame and finalized the locations for the spring perches, shock tabs, and track bar tabs. Then it was time for paint.

This is the base coat I used on everything. It's the same ZeroRust as the top coat, only red so you could see good coverage between coats. On the axles and TC I brushed on the first coat.

Last edited by Resbum : 02-10-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:12 PM
327 Rambler

It's finally time to start putting things back on the truck. First came the rear axle.

Then the front axle. This is when I also installed the new king pins, knuckles and spindles hardware, and 35 spline axles. The cross over steering arm is from Offroad Unlimited and is one beefy unit.

Time for the tie rod. Made from 1 1/2" 1/4"wall DOM.

Last edited by Resbum : 03-05-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 PM
327 Rambler

After seven months I finally have it back to a rolling chassis. Early one Saturday morning I towed in down to the local Firestone a friend manages and his guys did a thorough alignment check on everything they could possibly measure. Everything came out perfect!!! The thrust angle between the front and rear axles was only out by .06 degrees, the axles are off centerline of the frame by less than an 1/8 of an inch, and the caster was exactly where I calculated it. Not bad for nothing more than a homemade jig, a homemade plumb bob, a water level, tape marks on the floor, and being anal compulsive about measuring on the diagonals for square, while hanging the new axle/spring mounts. Man, my ego was so swelled up that day I was probably sickening to be around. I figure the results were worth one day of gloating.

Last edited by Resbum : 03-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Just had to be said get em done quick I'm still in the research phase
Old 02-10-2012, 10:29 AM
327 Rambler

Yeah, sorry for the unintentional tease. I use to prefer imageshack over photobucket for media hosting, but it has really been giving me problems for the last six months. More than half the photos I had placed in an album for this thread were corrupted and I had to recreate the whole album.

Anyways, this is where the truck is at right now. I'm currently making the track bars and the cab is out getting the sheetmetal work done. I'll post more when I have something to update.

Resbum

P.S.- I've documented the build with over 700 pictures, so far. As time permits, I could do detailed writeups of certain parts of the build if anyone wants more info.

Last edited by Resbum : 09-23-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:12 AM

Looking really good! Keep us updated
Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Excellent build!

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 02-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Master Mechanic

Awesome!

Is the intercooler from the '94 as well?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM
327 Rambler

Thanks.

Chumley360- Yep, the intercooler came with the engine. When it was time to make it fit it was either major mods to body work or cut two rows off the top. I went the easy route.

Resbum
Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 AM

Resbum, This is one of the best threads I have ever read! Well worth the wait on the pictures

I thought you might be a little OCD when I read it without the pictures, after seeing the pictures I now know you are a LOT OCD, thats why your build is coming out so well.

Congratulations on all of your hard word. I can't wait to see the rest.