• Show
Clear All
  • JDD
    232 I6
    • Oct 01, 2011

Larger mirrors

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Put on some larger mirrors. Used old brackets, and replacement mirrors from AutoZone. What are your thoughts? I can always put the original mirrors back on.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Depends on your needs. Wide mirrors a good for traffic awareness. I prefer "deep" mirrors for woods use. When turning around or backing up a one lane road I like to be able to see where my rear wheel is in relation to the edge of the road/cliff.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Tripwire
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 30, 2000

like joe said..... if you need those then fine - i think they look better than other possible options
      Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Mattster
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 31, 2016

Looks pretty good to me. I need to get some bigger mirrors. Can't see anything in the ones on the Wagoneer I just bought, and they don't match.

Comment

• Alys4x4
          230 Tornado
          • Oct 26, 2015

FJS Mirrors

I just decided to do the FSJ setup and i just got the custom mounting plates in by one of the other members. I will post pics when i get them on. I plan on using a FSJ switch to control the motors and I have a dash switch for defrost. Plus i wired in the turn signal lights on the mirrors to the turn signal circuit. Spendy setup but what the heck..nothing else on this beast has been cheap either.

Comment

• ZackN920
            350 Buick
            • Nov 18, 2015

They look kinda like the (stock towing) mirrors on my 87' Dakota. Don't look bad on a Wag... Are they completely manual or are they also electricaly operated like the originals? I bet they really improve visibility. I still can't get used to the little mirrors on my Wag.....then again though, I'm not driving it on a regular basis yet either...
            1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
            Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
            ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• J10blues
              258 I6
              • Mar 21, 2014

I also think those look great! I had the oem ones on my truck and just couldn't see anything out of them, too small so I installed ones similar to those. Joe, what did you mean 'deeper'? the ones with the glass set back into the housing?

Ben
              77 J10
              360 complete rebuild
              TH400
              Eddy Performer intake/Non EGR/CompCams 268 H
              Eddy 1406
              MSD 4AL/MSD 8519Dist/TFI coil
              Holley fuel pump
              MagnaFlow exhaust

02 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Comment

• JDD
                232 I6
                • Oct 01, 2011

Originally posted by ZackN920
                They look kinda like the (stock towing) mirrors on my 87' Dakota. Don't look bad on a Wag... Are they completely manual or are they also electricaly operated like the originals? I bet they really improve visibility. I still can't get used to the little mirrors on my Wag.....then again though, I'm not driving it on a regular basis yet either...
                They are manual, but I never adjusted the originals either, so doesn't really make a difference to me. I am sure somone can come up with something better, these work fine for now. I just wanted to share what I came up with so I didn't have to drill holes in my door.

Comment

• Dave740
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 02, 2014

What do those brackets hook up to, Alys? I've been toying with the idea of fabbing something to use JK power mirrors.
                  1991 Grand Wagoneer
                  Hunter Green Metallic

Silverdale, WA

Comment

• AUSTJ4000
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 30, 2015

I'm in Australia and am limited to whats available at a good price so I bought some mid 90's Nissan Patrol side mirrors for my J4700, Wider and taller than what was on it from the 80's. I didn't want the large tripod style as they are likely to be smashed off out in the scrub.

Comment

• JDD
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 01, 2011

Originally posted by Dave740
                      What do those brackets hook up to, Alys? I've been toying with the idea of fabbing something to use JK power mirrors.
                      I used a Dremel to cut/release the stock mirrors from the brackets that attach to the door. The replacement mirror arms will fit into the bracket, I had to use the sanding disk on the Dremel to open it up a little. I filled the lower arm with plumber epoxy to strengthen it a bit, then drilled through the bracket and arm and put a #6 x 1-1/2'" screw with wing nut to hold in place. Also used epoxy inside bracket to put a short piece of 3/4" copper pipe to create a sleeve for the arm to drop down inside. Mirror adjusts up and down, but not front to back. That's the big drawback, but I am the only driver, so how often do you need to adjust side mirrors? I also put some more epoxy where the arm meets the bracket to help keep it tight. Like I mentioned before, I am sure someone can do better, let's call this a prototype. The replacement mirrors are all chrome, so I wrapped some electrical tape around the perimeter to look more like the stock mirrors. When it warms up, I plan on masking off part of the chrome and applying black plasti-dip around the edge to see how it looks. They are pretty sturdy, don't seem to shake or vibrate when driving, and I can actually see behind me. I will post some pics from the inside later this week.

Comment

• JDD
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 01, 2011

Random

Just found this on fsjnetwork.com. Looks like someone else had a similar idea, but actually made a nice bracket.

Comment

Working...
                        X