International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 02-24-2020, 09:23 AM
258 I6

Hey Marc, I feel for ya. I used to get all hot and bothered when my dad would get on me about keeping a car clean. But I quickly figured it out once you have put the time and energy (not to mention money) into something you expect to have it taken care of accordingly.

Sadly the getting these rigs back on the road is only the beginning, next is working out the gremlins that lay dormant from lack of use.

You'll get this stuff figured out, we've seen you do it before!

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
"Soon" is a relative term, also cracked cylinder put a hurt on me
Old 02-24-2020, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Nah, I am good with it. I am 90 percent sure it is just the safety switch connector coming loose. The window is up so it is not a big issue, I just have to crawl back there and pull the access panel and hook it back up or jumper it.

Honestly, finally having it at a point where I can just hop in and take a ride is refreshing and re-motivating. It has taken me almost 2 years to get here. Even before I tore it apart, I could drive it but it kinda sucked. Gutless, stinky, dirty, rattley but bad@$$ and loud. It feels good to finally only be dealing with gremlins and not self imposed casualties, mistakes, and a never ending list of failure prone cheapnese parts failing.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 02-24-2020, 01:04 PM
350 Buick

it happens on almost every build,.....

the one thing, or several things that make you question the whole idea...

I just had a 360 built, installed on frame
body panels, etc installed, it was really coming together when,.....

then the motor fails while idling,....wore the cam lobe down in minutes....

so,....another rebuild, going to be re installed this week.

glad it happened while the mechanic had it, and not me.

dave
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
...I just had a 360 built, installed on frame
body panels, etc installed, it was really coming together when,.....

then the motor fails while idling,....wore the cam lobe down in minutes....

so,....another rebuild, going to be re installed this week.

glad it happened while the mechanic had it, and not me.
OOOOHH NNOOOO DAVE!! On your red Honcho?!?! Since it happened under their watch, it's their problem, right? This is awful to hear. I wonder if you got a cam from the same lot as full size jeeper's first cam? Was yours a Comp Cams 270H?
Earlier this week my midget and I pulled my stock governor out cleaned it, weighed the weights, and documented our results. Then we weighed the weights ashpastrockdweller sent, then we ground down on the outer weights on the spare governor and documented those weights and re-installed it. Here are the weights we wrote down:

The way you read this:
Start: spare weights sent from ashpaltrockdweller as sent
Stock: weights pulled out of my rig
Try 1: The weights I installed
combined: inner weights+outer weights+springs, per side
Outer: Primary heavier outer weights=These effect less than WOT 1-2 shift point. The heavier they are the later it shifts
Inner: Secondary small inner weights=these impact the WOT shift point for 1-2 and 2-3. The heavier they are, the sooner they shift. The springs also play into this but I left the stock springs in there.
For now I just messed with the outer weights; Trial and error. I felt like if I messed that up, it would be less noticeable and more enjoyable if I did it right. You'll notice we shaved off about 3.3 grams of metal. It made a slight difference in the 1-2 shift point but it feels good. I am going to leave the outer weights alone now. Next time I open the governor up (probably in May), I'll pull about .4 grams out of the inner weights.

I drove it to work yesterday so I could drop it off at the exhaust shop. Ever since I swapped my chassis, the exhaust does not hang correctly. It does now! No more rattle on the transfer case, no more rattle on the front bump stop, no more rattle on the rear shock! Woo Hoo!

I decided to do a tuning run on my way home from work. I’m in first gear LOVING the sound of 5k+ RPMs! I look down and it’s a little warm on temp gauge. I do 2 or 3 more “pulls” and look down and it’s getting really hot FAST! I look over to my digital dash on my laptop and I’m at 230 degrees! Oh crap! Go to pull over, no power steering. Ah! Threw the belt. Of course I did. I HATE THIS POS SERPENTINE KIT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristow
Hope you kept all the v-belt pulleys and hardware. Cuz you’re gonna be putting it all back on.
getting close... really close. Grrrrrr....

I pull over, pop the hood to let it cool, and decide to trek back on foot to find the belt. I get about 100 yards down the road and look back to see if I left the hazards on. There’s my belt hanging under my rig. Awesome.
Head back and put it back on as I listen to it gurgle and boil. I noticed my belt is barely too long. When I have it alllll the way tightened it is almost tight enough. Guess I am buying another $45 belt.
Good news is the data looks pretty good. High RPMs still need more fuel but the O2 sensor readings look good and everything seems to be working correctly so that’s good.
Got home, wrote a new BIN, and installed it.

Son got home from an appointment and we decided to wrench a little. He crawled over the back seat, removed the tailgate access panel and reached in to re-attached the safety switch connector. Window works. Opened the window, opened the tailgate, put a jumper in the connector (cuz my switch does not work anyway) and buttoned it all back up.

Moved on to the headliner. Took the rear piece down and was STOKED on the almost rust free interior of my roof!! I was nervous it would be bad around the well nuts since they leaked but nothing! Woo Hoo! Those spots you see in the picture are just dirt/dust and will wipe off.

There was a mouse nest up there...

...and I broke one of these little plastic elbow thingies. Anyone got one? Are they the same between Cherokee and Wagoneer? I put up a wanted ad in the classifieds here.

I thought this was funny; This is all the "sound deadener" that was up there! Good job AMC! Not only is it so small it's pretty much useless, it had also fallen off the roof onto the headliner.

Next up is removing the front headliner and installing my heat/sound barrier on the roof. I will probably burn a couple more BINs between now and my next long business trip but that's all I have planned for the next few months. I will be out of town the entire month of April so I will spend most of March with the boss and my midgets. I am sure I will wrench a little but nothing juicy.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring